Nokton 35mm 1.4 - single or multi coated..?

martushka77

Local time
12:32 PM
Hello everybody! I am just about buying bessa with this lens and trying to find any difference between these two types - MC and SC. It is written here and there that multi-coated is perfect for b&w. Does it mean that if I want to shoot also slide film I should buy SC...? If you know any links to helpful pages I will be grateful too.
thanks a lot and greets! Marta

the single-coated is marketed as special for Black and White, but some people have also definitively demonstrated its special ability to render accurate color. The lack of extra coating makes it easier to flare, which may or may not be good depending on what you desire. I haven't seen specific comparisons with regard to slide film so somebody will have to advise there. But I would think the SC coating would give excellent results at the price of being a little harder to get the perfect exposure. Wouldn't the MC version give a little more exposure leeway with slide film?

Get the SC version. For both B+W and Color. You will not regret it.

For example photos, please have a look at the flickr M-mount forum.

Roland.

The difference is very subtle. With the SC you tend to get a bit more shadow detail and somewhat muted colors. The MC is more "modern" in its look and slightly higher contrast. I use both (40f1,4's and 35f1.4's) and unless I keep tab on which lens is in use, it is rare that I can tell them apart with bl/w. There tend to be a slight "smearing" of light sources with the SC (very much like a pre-asph Summilux). Either lens will work fine and if you are primarily going to be shooting slides, i would go for the MC. With bl/w I would go for the SC.

Thank you all! and very much:) I bought MC as I shoot a bit of slides. And for B&W I will use different films for different contrast. Greets!

I just got my SC 35mm 1.4 today and i love it!

Shot some Tri-x through it and these are results.

3279200554_064a17501c.jpg

3278377985_072a555995.jpg

3278378369_79fa4c3fa5.jpg

Looks really promising to me!

Voigtländer 35mm f1.4 Nokton Classic II SC VM lens
The Yokohama Minato Mirai 21 Skyline​
DSC03105.jpg

Photographer: Yokosuka Mike
Sony A7III camera
Voigtländer 35mm f1.4 Nokton Classic II SC VM lens
January 2024 - Yokohama, Japan​

Voigtländer 35mm f1.4 Nokton Classic II SC VM lens​