New York NYC Journal

Marty reports that further up the Hudson Valley homes are being scooped up. He says worse than when there was the pandemic.

I inquired who are the buyers. Marty says many from NYC and many from Westchester.

Don’t tell anyone, but I guess the Hudson Valley is a hot market and has been discovered.

Cal

Gold seems to be going down, but they say that in China pretty much buying real estate is a dead end and that stocks are not a good buy either. Basically the Chinese are building a floor under gold prices.

I speculate that it will be unlikely to go below $2300.00.

Pretty much the markets decidedly turned bullish again, even though the world remains unstable.

Cal

Gold’s 3% drop is said to be due to the lack of escalation between Israel and Iran.

The Chinese are still buying. Pretty much their economy is not look so grand. Real estate slump, banking problems, and a sluggish stock market. This situation has not changed. Pretty much the Chinese are building a floor under gold. I would expect some sideways action and the escalation in gold north of $2.4K and new higher highs.

The fundamentals are still the same: The Chinese are still big buyers of gold because what else can they buy? Also Central Banks (Smart Money) are also stockpiling gold.

Think about why? Are paper currencies expected to be worth less? Is a good way to eliminate debt is an inflationary environment? Are governments around the world debasing their currencies to basically holding a race to the bottom? When will debt loads become a tipping point and a problem? How long can living on debt go on?

Also know that high interest rates compound the debt because it costs more to “rollover.” Kinda like paying off a credit card with another credit card. Scary, but this is pretty much what governments are doing.

The confiscation of Russian assets around the world became a game changer. Hard assets in hand as a store of wealth now has importance. Some governments are attempting to de-dollar. The U.S. currency as a reserve currency is losing favor.

Living on debt can’t go on forever. Who will buy our bonds so we can keep on spending? Eventually this game will end.

I don’t think Gold to $3K is over. It is just a matter of time.

Also know that inflation that was exported cause Arab Spring. Pretty much hungry children toppled governments. Understand that commodities are priced in dollars, so when a local currency collapses food prices go up. This is how inflation was ”imported.”

25% increases in food prices over the past 4 years here in the U.S.

Expected further 4% food price increases due to severe weather and global warming, not to mention water scarcity. I see food prices getting out of hand, then hungry children, and then civil unrest.

Food scarcity and food security is a concern of mine. I have an active solution that mitigates the price of food. Austin pointed out at this point “Growing food is like printing money.”

Then there are health consequences that creates collateral damage.

Know that gardening and being outside has health benefits.

I would suggest that you should go to a Barnes & Noble and look at the book “The All New Square Foot Gardening.” Pretty much if you have a sun lite area of a yard you can do a lot to have some food security. This book pretty much is a way to have a high yield utilizing minimal space.

“Maggie” is not so keen on chickens, but pretty much my peasant blood denotes I have farming in my genetic makeup. I think one day she will soften up to the idea. It pleases me that I have a back backyard to create a micro-farm of sorts. I know if I have to I can feed myself.

I can’t say that will be true for all Americans. With food inflation life will only get harder and certainly public health will deteriorate along with the hunger yet to come.

Right now Maggie is in a full blown “Maggie-Mode” which means extreme inspiration about gardening, but know that Calzone-Factor means I’m looking into self sufficiency where I could grow all my own food and save money. I think this is my eventual goal.

I like Phil’s idea of raising potatoes: both regular and sweet potatoes. Also carrots… I need winter vegetables.

I also see our house becoming more of a Garden of Eden and also a bunker/shelter.

Pretty much the bedding mix is highly spongy and retains mucho water. Overhead watering is discouraged; instead a single cup of water should be poured over the stem by the roots. Pretty much less water intensive. The aeration of the soil also benefits the growth of the plants. The really only expendable is the compost in the mix. Pretty much the three equal part mix of Vermiculite, peat moss and compost is usable for about a decade.

I just blew though about $500.00 worth of the three basic ingredients. I await the call for the Vermiculite to be delivered to my local Home Cheapo so I can go pick it up. Three 4-cubic foot bags. Pretty much I’m making 36 cubic feet of mix, and know a cubic yard is 27 cubic feet.

Pretty sure this is only a beginning. Don’t tell Maggie that I have big plans.

BTW I love to eat. One of the reasons why I love fitness.

Cal

Last edited:
A headline of concern is the expected high probability of a very hot summer in the Northeast.

I’m glad we have mini-splits as “life-support.” Our carbon footprint is pretty small, pretty much it does not cost a lot to effectively have central AC on the first floor.

We are prepared.

Only thing we need is a generator. About $12K. We have natural gas so it would be EZ-PZ.

Also know our oil bill last heating season was only $2.6K. It was a rather mild winter. No real bad oil price spikes either. This is with old fiberglass insulation in the attic where 25% of heat is lost. It is plausible to get our annual heating bill close to only $2K. How crazy is that? Pretty much I set the thermostat at 68 degrees. Set and forget.

Our old fiberglass insulation in the attic has compressed to nothing, and pretty much the R-value is vastly diminished. I will be replacing it with rock wool which is a one and done approach. Costs more, but it does not settle like fiberglass. Another benefit is that it is a fire barrier.

Rock wool was installed in the bathroom walls, kitchen exterior walls and the dining room exterior walls. Back in 1912 there was no building code requirement for insulation. We have modern double hung windows.

Basically parts of the house are tighter than others, but the house is not so well sealed and breathes. Still not so bad, unless the weather goes heat wave or polar vortex. Pretty much I would not want a bigger house.

Cal

I have a rant: Is the world any safer than three days ago?

Pretty much the markets think so.

Hmmm. Kinda crazy. Also makes no sense to me anyways.

Also since our government is so dysfunctional, pretty much I think I get more done locally just working on my garden and house. Pretty much I’m moving forward and displaying progress while the government is not. In fact they are going backwards.

Case and point is I can build a truck for about $40K in my garage. Pretty much a truck with a 50K mile warranted from Chevy on the engine and tranny turnkey with computer controlled fuel ijgection 450 HP, 444 foot pounds of torque, built on a 4 bolt crank. Tranny is rated for up to 700 HP. To complete the build for a complete brand new drivetrain a Ford 9 inch rear and 4 wheel disc brake upgrade.

Pretty much a new truck with a few options is about twice my price. Pretty much greed, another problem are paying for all the regulations. Still $40K is a lot of money, but $80K is kinda insane.

The government supports expensive healthcare, does not support public health, or sustainability. Pretty much that burden is on me the individual.

Healthcare is big business and expensive. In fact healthcare in the U.S. is the most expensive in the world. Pretty much bad public health is a way to increase our GNP. Public health is collateral damage.

Then there is the corn subsidy that promotes heart disease, obesity, Diabetes, Cancer, and high blood pressure… On top of that Ethanol is a bad business model that without government subsidy is not cost feasible.

Part of me knows by my upbringing that pretty much I’m responsible for myself and pretty much growing up alone without family, family help, or any form of backstop, taught me the hard way.

Pretty much if you read my posts here, that is what I write about. Pretty much taking care of myself and “Maggie” because our government really is not for the people. Pretty much big business and Capitolism is what is supported.

I have my eyes wide open, and I am not fooled.

Cal

Last edited:
Pretty much I have the appropriate build for a tropical humid climate. Canton, China has the equivalent climate to Havana, Cuba. Add on top of that I was an endurance athlete and know that heat does not really bother me. I can sweat a lot, but I don’t develope bad odor. My hair can get as wet as when I come out of a shower, meaning saturated.

But my Kryptonite is the cold. I definitely am not built for the cold. I pretty much benefit from global warming, but I don’t encourage it. I’m not that selfish.

Meanwhile “Maggie” has northern European genes and suffers in the heat and humidity. She is particularly prone to heat exhaustion.

Pretty much an odd couple, but they say opposites attract.

I kinda want to tell a story of when I would do these weekend walks in NYC that I called Death Marches. Pretty much typically a very long walk that could be 10-12 miles. A half Marathon is 13.1 miles and perhaps at times we could walk that amount. Pretty much after a Death March you were kinda tired.

One friend told me his girlfriend took offense that he was too tired for sex. LOL. She was kinda insulted.

One time I went on a Death March, but it was predicted to have a heat index exceeding 100. The guy I was walking with was not only much younger than me, but also an immigrant from a tropical country. He expressed concern for my health and well being.

I laid it out clear that pretty much he should be more concerned about his own safety, and pretty much I can take care of myself, but I also mentioned and was clear that if he dropped that pretty much I would be selfish and not do any extraordinary rescue.

Pretty much I told him, “I’ll leave you for dead.” Anyways of course I was somewhat serious, but I also was being clear about my survival instinct and being honest that pretty much I would not be able to carry him out of the remote part of the city that was kinda desolate.

So about 2 hours in pretty much he was feeling the beginnings of heat exhaustion and was getting sick and experiencing some of the fog and body shutdown. We had to walk back to Annesville by the Dutch Kills to a Bodega.

I was in no distress at all.

For me my weakness often is the need for food. When exercising I burn so much energy, and because I’m rather thin that energy is Glycogen stored in my muscles. Not that I am Arnold, but I am muscular but in a lean way. Pretty much this energy gets depleted fast. The key is to have a food supply.

It also seems food is processed rapidly in my body. I guess I am blessed with a fast metabolism, but it is also a curse. You would not want to ay my food bills.

Everyone is different, but I’m a bit of a freak.

In hot weather I’m alright as long as I can minimize my clothing. A shirt can get soaked with sweat and saturated. I really can sweat that much. As long as I have little clothes on, I’d be fine. Because I work around my house often without a shirt on, my muscles glistening in the sun, I draw in stalkers.

If I feel light headed it is not due to dehydration, it is because I am running out of energy. In biking terms this is called “Bonking.”

Cal

Time to try out the rainfall shower head and wand.

For the upstairs bath we decide to do a high end walk in shower that is kinda spa like. Really high end fixtures. “Maggie” chose gold, but these items were backordered, then things got busy with Maggie’s book, and now about a year later the finishing touches have been performed.

To get the shower operational our contractor installed an el cheapo generic shower head temporarily, but that temporary measure endured more than a year. Oh-well. Life happens.

So now I finally have a new bathroom, and that first shower will be mine.

BTW the bathroom looks stunning. The floor has an electric heater. Instead of a medicine chest behind a mirror I made a built-in closet that looks 1912 period correct for an arts and craft house. This closet fits into a recess by the door.

I also stripped of the white paint to bare wood on the 5 panel door, and then gel stained it with a red mahogany that is somewhat deep and translucent. The moldings match.

Brass sconces…

The view out the window makes the slope in the back-backyard appear like a cliff. Very pretty.

Anyways I’m breaking in my newly finished bath.

Cal

The new rain head is really great, and the wand is a little dangerous. One setting on the wand is rather forceful and could take your eye out. The rain head flows lots of water and is really great for rinsing out shampoo.

I feel kinda squeaky clean.

There is a certain amount of massage happening also. I found that I liked and used the most the concentrated pressure of the wand in a wide spray that utilized the adjustable rod that has the diverted valve and is the manifold between the two head attachments using it as if a conventional shower head, but the stream is of higher pressure and more focused and a narrower cone.

Now I’m spoiled and can’t live without it. Also the wand is great to rinse down the shower to avoid soap scum.

I am very pleased that we did not cheap out. The luxury is worth it. Looks stunning too. My upstairs bath is really has a spa element to it. Seemed like washing my hair which is long took less time.

Marty’s tile guy was a seasoned old geezer. There is a level of perfection in the tile work.

Muy bueno.

Cal

Gourds are excellent to grow for winter and last a long time after harvest. They take less water to thrive and are also very healthy. Sweet potatoes would be better than regular starchy potatoes as they have fiber and more nutrients, not just the starchy carbs. Potatoes can be really water intensive and are predated by everything out there that live above and below ground. Back when I was in high school and grew a big plot of potatoes, I was vigilant in trying to protect them but gophers still got them, regardless how I tried. I used traps, ultrasonic deterrents, chemical scents (cat urine,) and also a bow with rodent "thumper" arrowheads. The only thing that worked for pests on our property was a 6 foot bull snake, but the gophers still ate maybe 1/4 of my crop. Dad called those the most expensive potatoes he'd ever eaten because of the amount of water and care I put into them. In a nutshell, other crops are more nutritious, cheaper, and easier to grow.
Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the response.

I’m even thinking of trying the “three sisters:” Squash, corn and a bean.

The Incas and Mayans built civilizations using the three sisters. The squash is a ground cover; the corn a trellise for the climbing bean.

I can see the limitation being feeding the wild animals. My plot behind the garage is close to the house.

Cal

I’m a bit fatigued from playing guitar. The three Santa Cruz acoustics are very inspiring. All are amazing, and having a tasteful variety is wonderful. I’m in a state of bliss.

I did an evaluation: the OM is broken in finally after about 30 years of my ownership. I have medium tension strings on the OM to have added mass to drive the top. At this point the OM would benefit from low tension strings for advancing playability. Pretty much the tone and volume should not be diminished at this point.

But first I think the Model “F” know as “HOG” (all mahogany) might also benefit from low tension strings. Mahogany is not like Adirondack (Red Spruce) in that it takes decades to open up. I have mucho bass, in fact maybe a bit too much because of the string gauge, and because I worked in the top. The guitar top has to flex a lot to generate bass. Also this HOG could benefit by having more top end which lighter strings will promote.

My custom ordered Model “F” keeps getting better, but it will take mucho time to get mature. The red spruce top requires a lot of playing before it gets flexible enough to provide a really deep bass. I’m cool with that.

On the home front “Maggie” has an attitude shift about our home and having her daughter and kids moving a 10 hour drive away. She realized that in a few years the kids will grow more independent and pretty much there is no reason not to do the drive to visit frequently to see and experience them growing up. In particular the grandson who is an 18 month old is the hardest to deal with.

So now she is with me digging into the Hudson Valley as our home. She also is digging in to gardening. Her specialty is cut flowers.

She too loved the rain shower.

For me today was like an art day. I got absorbed into the guitar and relaxing. Practice is hard and requires mucho concentration. Things are advancing and moving slowly, but also the learning is moving faster. I love what is happening. Pure enjoyment.

Cal

My experiment with lighter gauge strings was a failure. Oh-well.

Action was too slinky, I’m use to heavy strings even on my electric guitars.

Then the volume and tone was lower and thinner. NFG.

I guess I’m turning into a full blown jazzer. I also need to order more strings.

The strings on the HOG were deader then dead. A totally different guitar with fresh strings. I love it.

Cal

Pretty clouds this morning. Lots of small clouds instead of big ones. A bit unusual.

I learned a lot yesterday about the difference between a scalloped braced guitar (OM) and a tapered braced guitar (Model “F”).

The OM is a smaller guitar, but it sounds bigger because the bass is enhanced. Bigger guitars have a more pronounced bass generally, but scalloping the braces like a suspension bridge if done properly allows the top to flex more freely to increase the bass response. What does get lost though is some midrange and some articulation.

The straight taper on my Model “F’s” has a more balanced and flat response that is less boomy and has better note separation and articulation. For a Jazz flat top the Model “F” is a better guitar.

The OM though is kinda more in your face with its scooped sound.

Anyways I’m glad I have both: the OM for blues; the Model “F’s” for Jazz. I’m kinda fortunate to own three Santa Cruz guitars, all special custom ordered with unique features. Kinda iike having three hot girlfriends.

Anyways these guitars are like my “Cinnamon Girl.”

“I could be happy the rest of my life with the Cinnamon Girl.” I am so pleased and happy. Each guitar is a dream come true, and I have 3 of them.

A headline suggests that the retail investor is taking money out of the market, and now the transportation stocks are selling off. Pretty much a slowdown is happening. Remember that the DOW Transportation Index is a leading indicator.

So far gold is going sideways in the $2330.00 range. I expect gold to climb again and get traction. Buying real estate now is compounded by slim pickings, a drop in home construction, and now even higher mortgage rates.

Our home if purchased today would have about a $500.00 increase on the monthly payment, and that basically all would be interest. Know that our home was inexpensive, was a house no one loved, formally was a rental and needed a dramatic updating. In other words our price is somewhat contained and of course house prices are no longer cheap.

A bit of a turn in the markets is happening, and it is an election year. Hmmm.

The 12 cubic feet of Vermiculite will likely arrive and be delivered to Home Cheapo in the Cortlandt Town Center which is a huge strip mall just outside Peekskill. Should fit in the Audi.

BTW Perlite is not favored because it tends to float to the top. This amendment loosens soil so it does not compact, adds a level of sponginess and helps retain water. This does not get expended, one and done as they say.

“Maggie” has some clothes to donate. Drop off will happen today. Pretty much this is a big deal because she is a procrastinator who creates frenzies and anxiety. She kinda overbooks things and creates last minute emergencies. Pretty much bad management, but she thinks she is good with project management. I beg to differ.

Things are getting better and settling down though. Less being overwhelmed lately. My opinion is that the stress she creates is shortening her life.

Cal

Last edited:
Today’s goals are to build a planter out of reclaimed Canadian pallet for my dwarf spruce, and build a trellis for our clematis.

The previous trellis “Maggie” bought and pretty much it was a throw away made from willow reeds. I hate when she cheaps out. Not good for the wallet nor the planet. Oh-well, woman factor.

I have all the materials on hand. My idea for the trellis is a free standing skinny 4-sided pyramid with a chopped off top. It will be heavy and sturdy unlike the willow reeds that got blown over. Pretty much a simple design made of 2x2 lengths. Maggie wants it to be painted white to match the pergola.

Crisp weather in the mornings goes to T-shirt weather, or even no shirt if I’m working. Things are finally greening up.

Cal

“Maggie” has physical therapy this morning. Enough to kill my stride. Don’t know if I can squeeze in my goals today because of other Maggie maintenance. Oh-well.

Cal

A pretty serious red screen today with the DOW presently down over 683 points.

Seems like the FED will not be able to lower rates later this year as the markets expected. Pretty much no soft landing, the economy is slowing, and inflation remains a problem.

The turn is happening. Brace yourself.

Cal

Loses have been trimmed on the major indexes, meanwhile gold is showing a gain and is in the green.

Yellen says the economy will continue to slow. First quarter GDP was only 1.6%. Hmmm…

Like I said, “Brace yourself.”

Anyways, now when we go to Peekskill Coffee to get a bagel and coffee it takes a few hours because an unintended meet-up happens. Kinda getting snookered into the art scene here, and also the community builders.

In July there likely will begin a spoken word event beginning. Hmmm…

Citi Bank threatens to cancel my credit card because I don’t use it. Ha-ha. I don’t want to loose my perfect score on my credit so I have to buy something.

Looking into buying some other Santa Cruz medium tension strings. I bought about $250.00 worth of strings this morning, but I discovered that they also make string sets gauged for DADGAD tuning, a dropped tuning for the guitar that is useful for Celtic music. I think I will order a few sets and perhaps set up the HOG as a dropped tuning guitar for blues.

Because of less strung tension, heavier strings are substituted for the 6th, 2d, and first strings to prevent rattling against the frets.

This break from conventional tuning could accelerate my learning because I tend to think in terms of Diatonic chord structure. I a have a pretty good understanding of how chords and scales are built, and music theory principles. Now I’m trying to internalize them and make them a practice.

Pretty much a somewhat fresh approach to the guitar. This style of playing exploits open unfretted strings, and I do this in my playing using conventional tuning. Pretty much I’m just taking it a step further, but in a new direction.

I seem to be developing my own style of playing with pick and fingers. I admire finger style playing a lot, but I feel that a pick voices the guitar a certain way that can be snarly and aggressive. The fingers have a softer approach and less dynamics. Remember that I’m trying to emulate a piano.

We know from science that the mind/brain needs to be exercised or else cognitive function deteriorates. Use it or loose it they say. Also research shows that learning and problem solving can prevent Dementia. Pretty much idle minds go to waste.

In this regard I don’t think “Maggie” and I have to worry so much about Dementia. We don’t drink, and heavy drinking can be a contributor. Exercise and good blood flow feeds the brain, so mindful thinking only goes so far.

Anyways I feel we are low risk.

I’m definitely not getting any of my goals done today. Oh-well.

I will pack up the car for the clothing drop off. I might pull out the chainsaw and cut off a dead limb on the Japanese red maple. The death and decay grew extended from the sun scorching that happened from when the tree was pruned improperly. The tree got too big that the real estate agent required that it needed to be trimmed because it hid the house.

Idiots.

Cal

Last edited:
Inflation rate is up at 3.4% for the first quarter, up from the encouraging 1.8% reported for the end of 2023.

Talk of stagflation is present.

Also the possibility of a rate increase by the FED. Could this lead to a hard landing?

Cal

The first quarter tally on pedestrian deaths in NYC hit a record high of 60 since Vision Zero was enacted.

79% of the deaths involved either trucks or SUV’s.

I have suggested in the past that Vision Zero counterintuitively has created more pedestrian fatalities by fostering more aggressive driving because of the congestion it produces.

The high percentage of involvement of SUV’s and trucks fits the profile of aggressive drivers.

Cal

Back