Old Ilford Ilfomar warmtone paper

Joao

Negativistic forever
Local time
12:30 AM
This box of paper was never opened. It is more than twent years old and was kept at room temperature (which means variations between 10ºC and 30ºC). It is certainly not good to be used in important work.

But before I discard it, I would like to see the results of printing a few frames. I intend to test different exposure times, filters and developing times, using Kodak Multigrade developer (dil 1 + 14) and Ilford Rapid fixer (1+4).According to what I’ve read, some fogging and some loss of bright whites is to be expected…

Question: What do you sugest as a point of departure ??

Thank you for yous sugestions
Joao

Attachments

• Ilfomar 01.jpg
    Ilfomar 01.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 6
  • Ilfomar 02.jpg
    Ilfomar 02.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 6
Just do a test strip and work out your exposure. It is very difficult to predict how much it has fogged or how much speed and contrast it has lost. Some benzotriazole to add to the developer can be very helpful.

It is/was nice paper. I remember liking it more that Multigrade Warmtone.

• It's grade 0. So, irrespective of age, it has low contrast and may not reach full tone dynamic from a "normal" negative.
  • Benzotriazole might cool the tone. To better preserve the inherent warm tone, maybe potassium bromide would be more appropriate.
  • I've had decent results with old Ilfomar; but it was grade 3
Good luck

Thank you for the input.
I will test with the Multigrade developer.
As a second test, as I have some KBr available, I will add it to the developer to see what happens.
Best regards
Joao

• It's grade 0. So, irrespective of age, it has low contrast and may not reach full tone dynamic from a "normal" negative.
  • Benzotriazole might cool the tone. To better preserve the inherent warm tone, maybe potassium bromide would be more appropriate.
  • I've had decent results with old Ilfomar; but it was grade 3
Good luck
Good point. I didn’t even notice that it was grade 0. And yes, benzotriazole may cool the tone, but it also tends to make it a nice colour.

Back