Overcoming fear

kipkeston said:
Has anyone ever been punched in the face or had their camera destroyed because of a belligerent gent?

I've only been shooting street for about 6 months now, but haven't experienced anything close to that. I've had one or two people give me a quizzical look as if saying, "Why would you want to photograph me?"

I generally try to get a feel for the environment I'm shooting in, and approach each time out in it's own unique way.

Hi Mark. I missed you last Saturday (I went out later in the afternoon).

As the one who started this post, I have bit the bullet and decided to just try street photography. When I went with Mark, it was a lot easier. When I am by myself, it is harder. This past Saturday was really the "first time" for me alone. I went one other time, but really did not take any pictures of people. There were a couple of cool shots I could have taken, but I ended up helping people instead of taking their picture (like of an elderly man carrying something heavy down the stairs).

Last Saturday I found myself walking fast and all nervous. I shot from the hip a couple of times. I met a group of hippies hanging around for a ""Grateful Dead" type band. I talked to a guy selling pizza from his van, who said that he was from Utah, and follows this band in the summer. We had a cool talk. I asked if I could take his picture and he was cool with that. I asked if I could take pictures of others, and he said, "You should ask first. They porbably won't mind." I asked a lady, she said, "I would rather that you didn't." I respected her and moved on to the next table, still in ear shot of her. She, quite loudly, talked to other people. "That guy wanted to take my picture. What does he think we are, a bunch of freaks?" And then all the hippies started looking at me as if I were some freak, so I went over to the pizza sales man and talked somemore. He asked if I wanted my pictures taken. I said yes and gave him my camera. He asked if wanted the hippies in the back ground and I explained in a volume that the hippies could hear, and yet in a tone that was very respectful, "They do not want their pictures taken. I asked them and they said no, so I'll just stand by your van away from them." "Really, that's wierd," he replied.

Anyway, I have the negatives drying right now. I think they turned out, but none look spectacular as I look at them hanging. I might post a couple, if any are at least halfway descent. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Last edited:
sitemistic said:
The only violence I've encountered in many years as a PJ is when I've been run over on the sideline at a football game by a really big player. On the street, never.

I used to hear some really nasty stuff from the fans in back of me at football games, but telling them to go and "buy a ****ing paper, you cheapskates" usually shut them up so I could do my job.

Never had a single problem shooting on the streets either.

I always thought that my "secret" was that where ever I was shooting, I was one of the least interesting things there. Obviously, things might be different if you're just walking around with a big rig on a normal street.

Learn to shoot smiling, or to smile just after the shot: it is not the all over solution but it helps. In the beginnig I was so concentrated to checke focus, exposure, the framing to seem very serious and this did not help. People believe you are doing something wrong. But when learned to shoot relaxed and smiling people also are more relaxed. And be ready to explain why are taking pictures: I usually say I'm taking a photo course and ask by the teacher to photographe at least ten different people. In many cases they feel involved and help you. But...different story if you ask for a permission to public the photo (in theory in Italy you are not allowed to do it whithout a permission), most people are very suspicious.
again, do not forget, learn to smile!
rob

I like this thread and all that has been said on this subject and I have a few additional thoughts......

embrace the fear... I am scared to death of rollercoasters but have learned to enjoy getting the crap scared out of me... I don't mean you should act reckless but I get great self satisfaction by conquering this fear and getting a great photograph

(sometimes just conquering the fear is enough)

people don't tend to take me serious with my "old" camera with its little lens... if you have a big SLR with a giant lens it draws a lot more attention

someone mentioned using long lenses to avoid confrontation.... in my experiance the quality of the shot is directly proportional to how close you are to the subject ...
GET CLOSER and use a wide lens that makes you get closer... that said when using, lets say a 35mm or a 28mm people have no idea they can be in the shot if the camera is not pointed directly at them

talk to strangers... I know, I know your mother told you not to but alot of people ldo not mind having their photo taken if approached the right way.... often I will say "hey I just bought this old camera and am trying it out ... do you mind if I take a picture of you, your dog, that shirt etc... ( i am always trying out a new camera) I recently saw a gentleman with a KISS tattoo and said I know someone who would just love that (very true) could I take a few pictures of it, he was more than happy to share it with me.(take a interest in their passions) my daughter likes to tell the story of how when walking in a park with her i saw a elderly lady with a polka-dot dress on and i went up to her and said "exscuse me but I am out today taking pictures of polka-dots and i was hoping you wouldn't mind if I took a picture of Your dress" how could any one say no to that and not only did i get a picture of the dress but a fine portrait of the lady wearing it. And if I could speculate, I know we all have this idea of HCB running around in stealth mode without being seen as he quickly raised and lowered the camera I would bet that he talked to some of these people, certainly he would of had to in the many fine portraits he took

marke said:
I've had one or two people give me a quizzical look as if saying, "Why would you want to photograph me?"

I was walking around a ski resort town a couple of years ago and this guy turns and takes a snapshot in my general direction. I thought the same thing.

Braveheart: You are braver that you think!

Braveheart: You are braver that you think!

navilluspm said:
Hi Mark. I missed you last Saturday (I went out later in the afternoon).

As the one who started this post, I have bit the bullet and decided to just try street photography. When I went with Mark, it was a lot easier. When I am by myself, it is harder. This past Saturday was really the "first time" for me alone. I went one other time, but really did not take any pictures of people. There were a couple of cool shots I could have taken, but I ended up helping people instead of taking their picture (like of an elderly man carrying something heavy down the stairs).

Wow, you opened a door! I think some of the best street work is built on having some kind of relationship with the subject. I'm not always the best to follow for an example, but here is a great example of how a great photograph might have happened. Actually, it might STILL happen. Do you realize (of course you do;) ) that you now have established a relationship with this elderly man? And it is based on trust and concern for his well-being. You never know, but you might run across him again someday and I would almost bet that he would love to talk more and even offer to let you photograph him. Okay, so you say it wouldn't be candid. But have you studied the portraits of H-CB? Many of them were taken when the subect knew he was holding a camera and was planning to photograph them. And he did, but many of them were candids! Wonderful candids, that could never have happened without the relationship that H-CB had developed with the.

This past spring I found myself headed towards a genre of photography I never though I would care for, that of people photography. Like many others, I have found my photographic passion far away from people, in a field or a marsh where I didn't have to deal with the confrontation of another person. But I felt a tug to do street, and I knew that the human element would be necessary for me to feel fulfilled. Animals did it for me out in the wild, and people would be required for me to feel that same satisfaction if I wanted to shoot street. Now, as I stated a little earlier, I'm not the best at following my own advice, but I know where I need to go if I am going to feel fulfilled at shooting street. And that will require confronting strangers. It will probably never get to the point of being easy, but it might get easier! I try not to look at my camera as a tool to produce a picture, but rather a tool to meet people and hopefully form relationships with some of the people I shoot. The relationship might only last 5 minutes, and we may never agin connect. But I believe that when we can have this connection with our subject, incredible things can happen. The hearts of the photographer and the subject become common denominator, the driving force behind making the picture, and that can never be wrong.

I am constantly looking for venues where this confrontation might be easier, and last weekend I found one, that was at the Gallery Walk in Milwaukee's Third Ward. This past summer, I have spent an occasional Saturday on the south side of Milwaukee Public Market, where street artists and musicians will share their gifts with the pedestrians passing by. There is always one or two acoustic guitarists playing for us. They always seem receptive to me taking their picture. Here is one I got earlier this year. The guy moving out of the picture had played earlier, and whn he saw me shootinh his friend, I think he thought he was doing me a favor by moving out of the shot. Well, he was! I anticipated his decision to move, by keeping an eye on him and watching his body language. Without his decision to "help" me out, this would have been a boring shot of some guys strumming on his guitar. But now at least there is something interesting, something different, maybe een something that opens up a question for the viewer to think about!

original.jpg

Last Sunday, I headed to the same place. There was a new guitarist there, someone I hadn't seen before.When he saw me checking him out for a shot, he aske me, "Should I get risky?". I said, "Sure, why not be brave?!". He was. He started using a technique that I've seen before, but can'r seem to recall the name. Anyway, I saw the light falling on the front of his face and on his guitar, and I knew I had the shot! I saw the passion in his face and hands, and heard it in the music. And I felt the passion in my shot. That is such a great feeling. Not only because it worked how I was envisioning it would, but also because I felt a connection between the guitarist and me that made it all happen. I dropped a couple dollars into his bucket, flashedmy business card briefly to him motioning that I was dropping it in also.

original.jpg

navilluspm said:
Last Saturday I found myself walking fast and all nervous. I shot from the hip a couple of times. I met a group of hippies hanging around for a ""Grateful Dead" type band. I talked to a guy selling pizza from his van, who said that he was from Utah, and follows this band in the summer. We had a cool talk. I asked if I could take his picture and he was cool with that.

Cool, another relationship! And this time you got a picture!

navilluspm said:
I asked if I could take pictures of others, and he said, "You should ask first. They porbably won't mind." I asked a lady, she said, "I would rather that you didn't." I respected her and moved on to the next table, still in ear shot of her. She, quite loudly, talked to other people. "That guy wanted to take my picture. What does he think we are, a bunch of freaks?" And then all the hippies started looking at me as if I were some freak, so I went over to the pizza sales man and talked somemore. He asked if I wanted my pictures taken. I said yes and gave him my camera. He asked if wanted the hippies in the back ground and I explained in a volume that the hippies could hear, and yet in a tone that was very respectful, "They do not want their pictures taken. I asked them and they said no, so I'll just stand by your van away from them." "Really, that's wierd," he replied.

Hey, they don't all work out. It seems clear to me that you had more courage last weekend than I did! You confronted your fear, and have a couple great stories to tell. You are braver than you think!

navilluspm said:
Anyway, I have the negatives drying right now. I think they turned out, but none look spectacular as I look at them hanging. I might post a couple, if any are at least halfway descent. Thanks for all the encouragement.

I would like to see something, if you feel okay about sharing. If not, that's okay.

By gthe way, I'd like to shoot with you this weekend, if we can work something out. I'll call or PM you.

Picture Posts 1/2

Picture Posts 1/2

Ok, I am going to attach some photo's of my first alone street photography. I have a couple disclaimers: 1) None are that good - I am trying to get over fear and my fear shows 2) I have to learn to slow down because most of my shots are blurry. 3) For some reason my FED 3 viewfinder does not line up with my lens (this was my second time with the camera and first time of noticing it). The top part seems to always get cut off. You can see this with the man with the pizza oven: I am positive that I had his oven in the picture, but it is not there. Hmmm. Is there any way to correct this?

On to the Photos, and a little description.

#1 is a hip shot I took that seemed to turn out (except for the dreaded Fed flare in the center of the picture). I really didn't frame it

#2 is a quick shot I took, again, without much framing.

#3 is a picture of the Pizza sales man I talked about. He had a really cool oven, and I am positive I framed him more towards the center left to get the oven in the shot. (It is odd, the pictures I didn't spend time framing turned out better then the ones I did)

Attachments

• The conversation.jpg
    The conversation.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Finding his way.jpg
    Finding his way.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 0
  • Pizza Sales man.jpg
    Pizza Sales man.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 0
Picture Post 2/2

Picture Post 2/2

Picture #1 is of Bob, a costumer and friend of Mark's, and the flower guy, whose name I can't remember. I took a portrait of the flower guy. He let me do it, but due to the VF problem I mentioned before, the top of his head got cut off in the picture! The flower guy was really nice. He gave me a free flower because I took his picture. I wanted to buy flowers from him for my wife (for Sweetest Day), but when I finally got back to my car, I realized I had no money. When I finally found parking by the bank, got the money from an ATM and got back to him, he already left. I hope to see him again. He was a really nice guy.

Picture #2 is a very important picture for me. The teen on the right is someone I know. I am an inncercity pastor, and he was a member of my congregation, but I have not seen him for over 3 years. I buried his Dad when he died of sickle cell disease. His Mom was in jail for drugs, but got out three years ago. He was living with his grandparents, but moved back with his Mom and I had not seen him since. I barely recognized him. According to some people, this young man has mental problems because of his mother's drug use in pregancy. To be honest, yes, there are some problems, but I remember teaching him, and I think he is a lot smarter than most people give him credit. I think that he has a lot of potential, but because people talked around him about him, that he started to just live according to their expectations. He is a good young man. I hope to see him again some time. Too bad he is a member of another Church, because now I can't see and encourage his progress.

Just the chance meeting with him made my day of street shooting all worth it.

This picture really shows the problem I am having with the view finder. I know I framed this picture just right and NOT like this.

Picture #3 - this picture was not taken on the day of the other pictures, nor was it taken with the Fed. This picture was taken with my Kiev moments before I switched to my digital camera, stood on a rock, and fell into lake Michigan, wrecking the family's (aka. my wife's) digital camera . I offered her the FED to use. She was not amused.

Attachments

• Bob and the Flower guy.jpg
    Bob and the Flower guy.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Lavontay.jpg
    Lavontay.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Before I fell into the Lake.jpg
    Before I fell into the Lake.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 1
I've never been caught at it or had trouble but I've only tried literally a few times and was just to nervous to do it. I don't know if I can overcome my fear of street photography or not but I hope so I enjoy looking at other people's work in this genre and would love to contribute

I'm not sure.

I see what looks like a police officer pointing, possibly helping someone with directions. Other than that, I can't see anything in particular that helps me understand what's happening in this scene. Can you tell us what was going on?

kipkeston- I really like that photo. The man looks quite ambivalent, centered, observing, holding back.

navilluspm- The photo of the Teen you used to mentor is good on it's own, and even better because of it's connection. Knowing the story behind a photograph can be a powerful thing for a viewer.

Phew, good to hear Morca.

Taking these street photos is exhilarating, especially when head on with your subject and a 35. It's like asking different women out over and over again as you walk down the street, but dare I say, even better.

I'm a bit late posting on this; just noticed the last post was about a week ago, and I might just be echoing others anyway.

I'll start by saying there are people that can't understand why some always carry a camera with them and take photos wherever they go. They ask "Don't you feel like you're missing life and always just seeing it through a lens?" Or something along those lines. I think it is based on seeing tourists going to sites and constantly taking photos while there, missing out (perhaps) on the experience of being at the place.

For myself photography is very different from this perception people have. It makes me actually be in my surrounds rather than just observe as a seperate part of it; I meet people and explore places. Sometimes it's hard to say whether I carry my camera because I do this anyway, or if I do this because I carry my camera.

Anyway, this is a long way of getting around to saying I rarely ask anyone if I can take their photo, but I do remain upbeat and happy and (I'm sure) looking like I'm absorbed by the wonder of it all (because usually I am). I don't hide that I'm taking photos, and don't try to make it obvious either, though I am quick.

Sometimes people see me take their photo so I give them a smile, they might smile back or have a laugh, and might even invite me to join them in whatever they're doing. Other times they're inviting me to take their photo, or join them before I get a chance to photograph them (can't always be quick enough I guess). Often they're too preoccupied to notice, or just aren't bothered.

I have to add that different places are different though (obvious I guess). In the North-West of England I was almost lynched by a group of teenagers because they thought I was a paedophile out to get their younger siblings, x-ray Canon QL17 in hand. They wound up calling the police instead, and I was hounded for a week with phonecalls and home visits. Apparently there had been a man spotted photographing through a local school's fence from his car. They came around to my place saying "I suppose you know why you're here..."! Even this was positive in the end; I made friends with them and was invited along to some community meetings.

This has ended up quite long, I'll end it on a happy note. I'm in Cambodia at the moment, and in the last three days I've hung out in the back of a pickup truck outside a Phnom Penh market drinking cheap Cambodian spirits in the day's final light with a group of young drivers, hung out with factory workers in their living quarters above the factory while they had lunch, sat on a street corner with tuk-tuk and cyclo (cycle rickshaw) drivers, and hustled with some street-kids. I speak virtually no Khmer, and all but one tuk-tuk driver and one factory worker spoke virtually no English so the usual ways of meeting people were rather limited.

I'm disappointed I can't share any photos; I'm still a six weeks away from home (Australia), processing, printing, scanning, editing, etc. And I'm itching to see!

EDIT: Wow, this really was long. All this just to say be natural, open, and above all enjoy it. If others become suspicious, continue to be natural and open and if you can enjoy that too....

Last edited:
navilluspm: I'm sorry but I never did comment on your earlier photos. I just wanted to say how much the one of the teenager moved me, and the story behind it really gave us something real to connect with.

kipkeston: I hope I didn't sound discouraging in my initial response. Sometimes it takes a bit to jog a person's perception out of their present rut, and Morca007's comment helped me with that. Now when I look at it, I see something I hadn't seen before. It gives me the feeling like the man is almost watching a movie and not something happening right before his eyes. The fact that he is centered seems to reinforce his disconnection with the scene, as if he's watching from behind a two way mirror.

itf: Wow! It sure sounds like you are having the kind of experience in photography I only dream of having! Being IN the scene, becoming part of the scene until no one gives you a second look. I hope you keepus posted as to when we can view some of what you're capturing!

itf: Wow! It sure sounds like you are having the kind of experience in photography I only dream of having! Being IN the scene, becoming part of the scene until no one gives you a second look. I hope you keepus posted as to when we can view some of what you're capturing!
Thanks Mark. I'm generally not a particularly outgoing person, though not desperately introverted either. I'm just friendly and interested, people often talk to me first. I hope some of my photos do justice to the times I have when I'm out and about (though I've seen some of my UK photos, which I was happy with), and hopefully I'll have some to show by early next year.

I really like those photos you have. I like the way the series begins by being unclear about what is happening, and progresses to give its answer.

Last edited:
Back