Pen D3, testing the lens

julio1fer

Well-known
Local time
5:52 AM
Took the D3 for a walk on the beach, with a short roll. I am a fan of the D series. Wanted to check what the lens could do, combined with a new little film scanner.

Aperture f/8 at 1/250, hazy late afternoon.

Full (half) frame:

2019HF05_zpsvbepazxu.jpg

Central scan at 10,000 dpi (according to the scanner software):

2019HF05a_zpskg2aunym.jpg

We all know that these D cameras have good lenses. But lens sharpness seems at least the equal of film grain and scanner definition. Not bad.

Film was FP4+ in Beutler, so not really a very fine grain test. Should try with TMX or Delta 100.

Those look great. I guarantee, if you wet print those the grain will not be nearly as pronounced. The difference between my scanned negs and the prints is huge.

Yep, not surprised at all. I have a Pen D, the first model, and at 5.6 was really impressed by the resolution. Great little camera.

I do not have a D series, but I have also gotten surprisingly sharp results from my PEN-S with the D-Zuiko 3cm. Olympus was definitely on a mission with these excellent little cameras.

From the 3cm Zuiko:

19696861630_2c7ae93947_c.jpg
pen_1AA026

Steve M,

I guarantee, if you wet print those the grain will not be nearly as pronounced. The difference between my scanned negs and the prints is huge.

Indeed, this has also been my experience. Somehow the scanner noise or digitalization artifacts amplify grain. The effect is important, exactly as you say.

WJJ3, nice portrait, and excellent pictures in your link to Flickr! Try a D series sometime, if you can. You will not be disappointed.

Back