Pentaz X7 and Q-S1 Cameras

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
2:09 PM
I discovered only today the existence of the Pentax Q7 and QS1 cameras. They have a 4.7x crop factor with a small sensor CMOS, but they seem to be well received by users. Has anyone here at RFF used such a camera?

I am interested in them because there is a possibility that the Summicron lens of the Leica Digilux 2 (with a 4X crop) could be adapted to the Q7 or QS1.

Feedback is welcomed.

I picked up a discounted Q7 just after they introduced the QS1 ( essentially a cosmetic downgrade from the Q7 ) .

The standard zoom is sufficiently good, but the camera is not really that compact with any non toy lens other than the 01 standard lens ( which is nigh on impossible to find in the US )

As the 01 lens was really the only reason I bought the camera, I imported the one from Japan in matching black .
The results are comparable to the Ricoh GRDIV - but with a 40mm lens :)

The biggest issue with the camera is the LCD is almost impossible to see in sunlight :-(
This makes adapted lenses very difficult to use.

Thanks for the warning. This is a real problem.
How do you like the images from your Q7?

Using the Summicron on a modern digital camera would be cool, I think. The camera is not bad at all for its age. Having a modern digital camera would be much better.

I have the original Pentax Q and have tried the ones you mention. I got the camera when everyone blieved the whole system would die and cameras went down to ridiculous prices. I expected I would never use except as a toy, a novelty, a conversation starter but I ended using it more then I believed. As others have pointed out the image quality is nothing special (the original Q have an even smaller sensor, it is claimed that the Q7 is better but I really see little difference) but for me the strong point is that all commands are just like in a large camera. You can access everything you need with one touch. Also the camera is very rugged and with the 01 lens attached and a filter there is nothing exposed moving, I have used the camera with a home made protection consisting of transparent film as used in the kitchen under heavy tropical rain with no adverse effect. Finally, if you need things like a 500mm macro or a 1200mm stabilized equivalent this is the cheapest option (maybe even the unique below 20,000 US$). You can find plenty of pictures of the moon taken with cheap lenses and a Q which are not far away qualitywise from what you see taken with telescopes, if you are not into this kind of photography but you are curious to try this on a budged this alone can be a good reason to buy it.

GLF

I am not intersted in the Q7 except for a possible host camera to mount the Vario Summicron on.

Back