Photographer: John Sanderson

raydm6

Yay! Cameras! 🙈🙉🙊┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘ [◉"]
Local time
11:05 AM
I really like his work. He is currently exhibiting in NYC.

DSC08586+final.jpg

This guy gets it. He shows us the beauty, sadness, and bewilderment of the rural American "fly-over" country that most Americans would rather ignore, and do so at their peril. His photos show us why we're in the mess we're in.

He has a non-rural series - The Ferry (Staten Island to the city). Shot with a Sony A7II and flash. Click the info button for his narrative.

Last edited:
This guy gets it. He shows us the beauty, sadness, and bewilderment of the rural American "fly-over" country that most Americans would rather ignore, and do so at their peril. His photos show us why we're in the mess we're in.

Thank you for the positive comments. Your observation is spot on as I feel very similarly about the places I inhabit while photographing.

I really like his work. He is currently exhibiting in NYC.

Thank you for the thread.

Thanks for sharing. He indeed has a good eye and his photography is refreshing among all those street photographers.

Thank you. While I had photographed previously on the street, "The Ferry" project which the original post mentions, developed over the course of a few years. It is the only work I have created in this style which I feel comes together in a series. This is because it's connected with a common subject (The Staten Island Ferry) and secondly due to the state of mind I was in at the time. I had just returned to New York City from a 7 month sabbatical photographing in Wyoming (for the Carbon County Project) and I experienced a cultural shock which I had never felt before as it was the longest time I had been away from New York City itself. This resulted in an intense, aggregate, photographic response to the Ferry, its Riders, and the total experience of light and weather unique to that commuter service.

One of these moments, you look at the pictures and "those I could take by myself", but not far than second picture you look at "no, I can't, but he does".

I respect all of the talents and this one specialty for been able to deliver great photogaphy from places which some might find not as clickbiting as some cliché destination for typical photo tourism.

To me it is as significant as continuing Walker Evans photo documentary via fine art of America's reality which keeps on changing...

Welcome to RFF. We should be honoured. The space in those photographs is very finely done. And so much else. I have tried for those proportions in my photographs. I feel it in my mid-chest if I get it, rare. I have that feeling looking at your work. In music, it would be the space between the notes.

We had a wonderful member here, Barnwulf, no longer alive. He had this skill. Mid-west rural was his thing, especially large iron clad farm buildings and silos. And he saw the space and patterns in anything else as well.

Back