Photographic Water Immersion Heater

LeicaVirgin1

Established
Local time
8:43 PM
Dear Tom,

I'm looking for a good immersion water heater so that I can bring my chemicals up to the proper temperature... Any suggestions?

Best,

LV1

I'm sorry to break the news to you, but Tom passed away recently. There is a rather long RIP thread with more info.

Yes, sadly Tom has passed away. I'll try and help. What are you developing? Black and white or color (E6 or C41)?

Echoing the thoughts, RIP Tom.

For myself, I've settled on the sous vide solution. I'm using the Annova Sous Vide. It maintains a water bath with very high precision. Big bonus is that I can use it to do steaks also! It was about $130 over the holidays. In both cooking and tempering for chemicals, the Annova will only ever contact water. The published specs are:

Temp Range: 77°F to 210°F ± 0.01°F / 25°C to 99°C ± 0.01°C

Doran used to make the best unit; fully sealed so could be immersed and a very fine temperature control. I used them for many years for the color processing of wire services film under deadline; very effective. Not sure if they are still made however.

Is there any inconvenient in using an aquarium water-heater ?
The one I have can keep the water at 20ºC, which would be fine for B&W processing in Winter.
Has anyone tried this ??
Regards
Joao

is this for a bath to keep all other chemicals the same temperature? Wouldnt the sous-vide keep things too hot?

Sorry, I was thinking only of the case of doing color processing. Elevated temperature, with precision control. With B&W, I've never had an issue with staying at standard temperatures using just my faucets. B&W requires far less precision, in my book.

Back