Pixii Wake Up Call

boojum

Mentor
Local time
8:38 PM
This is only a short YT blurb on a new camera and not much about how the images are but the concept is stunning and what Barth may have been trying for but may have missed by a large smidge. If it also is M42 it could be a real challenge. Are iPhones required or will Android [phones work? Thoughts?

After trying to get the DaVinci model to compute back-focus error and discovering it did not know the distributive law, AI stands for Artificial Idiot.

As was stated in the youtube, this device is mostly made for vloging and ticktockers.
I am not certain it will hold much interest for photographers in the normal sense.
As always YMMV. :D

This looks like an interesting enough project, but I agree it has nothing in particular in common with the Pixii. Certainly nothing that would mean the Pixii people should be any more concerned than any other camera manufacturer. And probably less, because they seem to be pretty explicitly targeting vlogging and tiktok which the Pixii is very much not suited for.

Hey, I only post the link. I am not PR for these folks. ;o) I found it interesting that they were able to attach the phone to the camera in a more clever way than Pixii which also can display images on your phone. It is an indication of a direction the camera business is going. And as much as I love the color of my M9/Amotal combo and Pixii/Amotal combo I am always interested in what is happening in the little boxes which describe cameras. The Alice "seems" to indicate that it takes a M42 mount lens. That would be super for those adopting it as there are a lot of those lenses around and the old Soviet lenses, KMZ Jupiters are the ones I like, can still be had for a reasonable price, but less so now.

If I missed the lens mount type give me a holler.

Perhaps they weren't aware of DxO's The One, Sony's QX, and Olympus's Air.

Beats me why "Creators" would choose a Pixii in the first place, given that M system wasn't designed for autofocus, and with a typical close focus limit of 0.7m, not the sort of thing I'd expect to see mounted on a gimbal, and pointed towards it's user's face.

The Alice "seems" to indicate that it takes a M42 mount lens. That would be super for those adopting it as there are a lot of those lenses around and the old Soviet lenses, KMZ Jupiters are the ones I like, can still be had for a reasonable price, but less so now.
It's a micro 4/3rds camera (aka M43), and it takes micro 4/3rds lenses made by Panasonic and others. Nothing to do with M42.

After trying to get the DaVinci model to compute back-focus error and discovering it did not know the distributive law, AI stands for Artificial Idiot.
Design specs must cover all and everything. And it is so easy to screw up code and have it working "most of the time" and pass the demo for the brass. We both know that working "most of the time" is not good enough. It is 100% or late nights in front of the computer screen debugging code. And that lower level stuff is the work of the devil and it reeks of sulfur and brimstone. Even COBOL can be ugly and obscure and that is in English. "One test is worth a thousand opinions." But I digress. ;o)

Perhaps they weren't aware of DxO's The One, Sony's QX, and Olympus's Air.
Clearly not.
Beats me why "Creators" would choose a Pixii in the first place, given that M system wasn't designed for autofocus, and with a typical close focus limit of 0.7m, not the sort of thing I'd expect to see mounted on a gimbal, and pointed towards it's user's face.
I don't think they do...

What attracted my attention was the attachment of the phone to the camera. This seemed very clever and unique to me. Arsenal (Arsenal 2 – Camera Body, Meet Camera Brain.) has a similar approach for attaching a phone to a camera and using their software to expand the capabilities of the camera. NB, the bridge in the Arsenal home screen is the one outside my window here in Astoria. My 15 milliseconds of fame? ;o)

Here is my cynical (a.k.a. down to Earth) assessment:

M43 is dusty corner of technology. Some nice dude in UK is stubborn on it. He finds someone who wants to ride AI wave with some crap looking camera.

My conclusion:
"No time for losers". Queen. UK.

Seems so silly when you attach a phone that already has has several lenses attached onto what is essentially a phone accessory. It's not a camera since it's not standalone and does not work without the phone, hence a phone accessory.

I would of accepted it's form factor if not for the fact you have to attach the phone which looks clunky

Back