Portraits - Natural light, considerations and critiques

brusby

Well-known
Local time
5:11 PM
I didn't see a topic like this so I'm starting one for anyone who is interested in participating by posting images, asking questions or making comments. Suggested focus should be on making better natural light portraits, including major considerations taken into account by the photographer in making the image and also having critiques by forum members.

Please try to be positive in your comments and if you have a critique, try to offer what you would do as an alternative so we can all use this as a learning experience.

I'll start with a recent photo. Technical info: This portrait is a bit unusual inasmuch as the center of her face is darker than the sides due to the strong side lighting. Main light is the obvious large window in frame, but there was an open door behind her and a window across from her that add important accents on her hair and on the opposite side of her face. The space was a small former farmhouse with no illumination inside other than the open door and windows. Outside was a dreary, overcast day. The general feeling was of a dark, cozy space so I printed the final image slightly on the dark side to mimic the feel of being there.

Camera Leica SL. Lens Sigma Art 24-70mm.

Please note that I do some minor retouching of things like facial blemishes because the intended audiences for these images are often the subjects themselves. My goal is not to make a photo substantially different from the person herself, but simply to minimize a few blemishes that the camera seems to accent or call attention to in more detail than real life. In short, I want my photos to look very much like the person but in a very favorable light. We shoot very quickly and usually don't spend more than a couple minutes for any single pose. The goal is not a perfect photo, but to capture a pleasing or otherwise interesting expression that feels to me like the person I was photographing.

This was the very beginning of her first ever photo session -- I think literally the third or fourth photo of the day -- and we were still working on getting her comfortable and relaxed.

L1080174 by Brusby, on Flickr

Comments, critiques and your submissions welcome!

Last edited:
This portrait is a success. The lighting works. Did you open the door for the secondary light source, or choose the position based on the lighting?

The subject is beautiful. The lesson to be learned here is that a required skill of a portrait photographer is to strike a rapport with the subject.

I like the two side light on the model's face. Her eyes show the engagement with you which gives life to the photo.
I'm not totally convinced by the large window, perhaps cropping out half of it could make the photo more balanced. Or it is the white house in the window which distracts a little bit ( I tried to cover it with the palm of my hand on the monitor)?
These aree just free wheel thoughts, as I said in a different thread I m not expert in this kind of photography. Probably I can learn something in this thread if discussion goes on.

This portrait is a success. The lighting works. Did you open the door for the secondary light source, or choose the position based on the lighting?

The subject is beautiful. The lesson to be learned here is that a required skill of a portrait photographer is to strike a rapport with the subject
Thanks Brian! You hit at the core of it. I agree the rapport with the model and his/her resulting reaction and expression are the most important things, at least for me. It makes the portrait very personal.

It's easy to see how well a model or subject gets along with the photographer -- just look at his or her expressions in a few of the images. When I look back at my images and the very individual and personal reactions, it transports me right back to the experience of the session, which for me makes the whole experience worthwhile.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I like the two side light on the model's face. Her eyes show the engagement with you which gives life to the photo.
I'm not totally convinced by the large window, perhaps cropping out half of it could make the photo more balanced. Or it is the white house in the window which distracts a little bit ( I tried to cover it with the palm of my hand on the monitor)?
These aree just free wheel thoughts, as I said in a different thread I m not expert in this kind of photography. Probably I can learn something in this thread if discussion goes on.
Yep, I agree the white in the window is a bit bright and overpowering. Very valid concern.

On location shoots like this often there are things surrounding the subject that are potentially distracting and I certainly could have cropped it out. If you're interested in why I didn't, it's because I usually like to include some of the environment in which we're shooting, so I end up with more than a bunch of tightly cropped headshots and no feel for the surroundings. If you look at my Flickr page I made an album in chronological order of the shots we took that day. Hopefully taken as a whole it gives a feel for the place as well as just portraits of my friend.

But I appreciate your thoughtful comment! Thanks

p.s., I had your same concerns about the large white form at the time I was shooting and I had taken some photos from a slightly different vantage point to minimize the big white building outside, hopefully preserving the sense of the space (image below).

p.p.s., I'm just noticing that the forum algorithm is rendering the images -- particularly her face -- darker than the originals. If anyone is interested in the original interpretation it's easy to click on the images to view directly on Flickr.

L1080161 by Brusby, on Flickr

Last edited:
I too like the new image @brusby. I like the natural lighting. It’s very soothing.

A general question for anyone: is it practical to bring along some type of photographic silver or white reflector - in these types of natural light situations - to direct some natural light back into those areas needing some lightening?

I would imagine it could affect the spontaneity of the shoot - (specially for new models), but perhaps if set up ahead of time on a stand, it could be adjusted quickly. Just a thought…

I too like the new image @brusby. I like the natural lighting. It’s very soothing.

A general question for anyone: is it practical to bring along some type of photographic silver or white reflector - in these types of natural light situations - to direct some natural light back into those areas needing some lightening?

I would imagine it could affect the spontaneity of the shoot - (specially for new models), but perhaps if set up ahead of time on a stand, it could be adjusted quickly. Just a thought…

Sorry Ray I didn't see your post until just now. Thank you!

A small reflector can be very handy. They don't have to be very big.

For the shot below we were touring a local plantation and came across a little makeup desk with some beautiful natural window light. My friend and fellow photographer held a small white reflector -- about 24 to 30 inches in diameter -- camera left to bounce a bit of the window light back into the shadows. So the only light used was the window light and bounced fill. This photo required almost no editing, it was very nearly straight out of the camera.

Nadia makeup desk.jpg

Last edited:
Back