printer advice...

emraphoto

Mentor
Local time
7:50 PM
ola
looking to purchase a archival printer. was pretty much set on a used epson 2200 however i thought i'd run it buy you all and see if there's something i am overlooking? i will be printing mainly b+w on matte paper but need to be able to run the odd colour one through as well. main usage is gallery prints.
let me know if you have any suggestions!
cheers
john

2200 is good. I use it for matte B&W using either the BO method or QTR printing software and get very nice results. For color it's good too, but more muted than dye-ink printers and much better on matte than glossy or lustre. It is about 2 generations behind now, with the 2400 being an upgrade and the new 3800 as well. The latter two are more expensive but if you print a decent amount the savings in ink alone with the 3800 will have you breaking even sooner than you think. I do find myelf often desiring more intense and deeper blacks than I get with the 2200 though and supposedly the 2400 and 3800 really address that, and the 2 newer printers can print on lustre or glossy with little to any bronzing which is a serious issue with the 2200 on non-matte papers.

Back