Raw Processing

Bill Pierce

Well-known
Local time
2:26 PM
Would you believe, I'm actually going to be in a place where for three days I will not be able to log onto the internet. But I still wanted to ask everyone a question and then get the total of your advice when I get back to civilization.

I've noticed everybody uses quite a range of raw processing programs to convert their M8 files. I use Capture One just because they profile different cameras. They provide two profiles for the M8 (with and without IR/UV filters) and they have finetuned and updated the profiles to improve flesh tones. Color rendition is the main reason I use their raw processor, although it has a lot of other good features.

I wanted to know what advantages other people found in other programs.

Bill

Mostly, mine was a question of workflow.

I liked CaptureOne, but they spent a long time without an update (I had v3.1.2) and by the time I was shooting alot of raw files, Adobe had well integrated Camera raw into photoshop and now into lightroom.

Since 80% of my finished images have major work done in photoshop for final retouching and compositing - it saved time to use Adobe Camera Raw as part of the workflow, rather than a seperate program.

I don't know what improvements went into the newer updates of v3, or now v4 - I didn't bother with the additional expense in addition to the time cost.

I use Bibble Pro 4.9.8e a lot. It has some excellent plugins for B&W conversion and it's workflow is very good. I am waiting for the next release of Capture One v4 beta to be released as the current beta bombs horribly in Vista x64.

etrigan63 said:
I am waiting for the next release of Capture One v4 beta to be released as the current beta bombs horribly in Vista x64.

The beta test version is still crashing quite often on my Mac, System 10.4.6

Bill

Aperture & Photoshop.

Test driving Raw Developer, and VERY pleased by it.
Lots of control with the interface,
and the usefulness of its tone curves is pleasing.

It has a touchy-feely goodness about it that the other processors lack.
To me, of course.

I use Adobe Lightroom (I also use it for all my other raw files now) - does about 98% of what I need to do to an image - normally. The other 2% goes to PSCS3. I just couldn't get on with Capture 1 - don't like the interface.

Back