Ricoh R1

I have the R1s, got it cheap from KEH because the LCD was already dead. I'm convinced they all die sooner or later, so why pay more for a functional one? Same thing about the lens gasket, too.

The corners are soft even at 30mm and it vignettes a lot at 24. This is with 200 ASA film in full daylight. Meh. I guess it needs 400 to do better. I never bothered disabling the panorama feature.

Sold my R1 and one of my R10s last month. Keeping an R10.

I loved the 24mm lens on the R1, I did the mod on mine and didn't find the corners all that bad.

Being able to switch between 24 and 30mm was dead handy too.

What I couldn't live with though was the camera's standby mode. If I'm outside I have a camera in my hand. There's no point doing that though when it's gone to sleep and needs to be turned off and back on again, and have the flash turned off, before you can use it.

The R10 goes to sleep but a wee tap on the shutter button wakes it straight up, flash still as you set it. Much better for me.

so there is not that absolutly postive echo for the Ricoh R1, (like the Oly Mju-2) right? i can get one for 80eur but thats a nice amount of money for a p&S that had mixed reviews

My view. You should forget the R1. Too prone to the LCD going. The GR1s and more importantly, the GR1v are the ones to go for. Much more expensive, but worth it.

PAul

Reviving this old thread rather than starting a new one! :)

At the end of 2021, I picked up a Ricoh R1 for about $100. I knew it had a fading LCD, but I decided to take a flyer on it. Turns out some of the viewfinder frame lines are dodgy, too, but so it goes for these aging electronic P&S cameras. While not as well-known as the more "premium" GR1 series, it's still capable of decent results based on my first test roll. The camera itself is very lightweight (145g / 5.11 ounces) and very compact. I was mainly interested in its super wide 24mm panorama mode. Not a true panorama as it just crops the 35mm frame, but I don't think there are that many super wide angle P&S cameras. Any other members still using this camera?

Ricoh R1, 24mm Super Wide Panorama mode, Arista Premium 400, expired 2014, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2021.12.31 Roll #297-06819-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

I loved this camera! Mine is now dead, but I managed to get some nice pictures out of it. I had modifyed it to take full frame pictures in the panorama setting, which gives a nice vignetting and unsharp corners. Some pictures are here.

Thank you dourbalistar!
My R1 quit working completely some years ago and looking at the prices and the possibility of sudden death I decided to close this chapter.
I will continue to post my existing R1 pictures in a flickr album.

I loved this camera! Mine is now dead, but I managed to get some nice pictures out of it. I had modifyed it to take full frame pictures in the panorama setting, which gives a nice vignetting and unsharp corners. Some pictures are here.

Some of your pictures are excellent! The best camera is nothing without a talented photographer :D.

I already see R1 prices climb up.

I miss my R1. I bought a small flash with a built in slave to add a bit of light.

The R1 was the start of the family that has morphed into an excellent digital camera that keeps pretty close to the original design.

To me, the R1 is very much like the OM-1 (or M-1....). A good idea was made amazing by some very smart people. Lots of folks have tried to copy, but it has yet to be duplicated.

B2 (;->

Some of your pictures are excellent! The best camera is nothing without a talented photographer :D.

I already see R1 prices climb up.

Thank you very much! The prices for R1 cameras are already insane. I had bought mine in 2011 for close to 100 Euro, which was nearly too much in my opinion. But the R1 is as close to a perfect point and shoot camera as it gets for me. The only feature that drove me mad was the auto shut off (as if batteries were made of gold).

I can't remember if I forced the flash (no other exposure compensation settings), but either way, I think the R1's meter did pretty well here. Most bright snowy scenes like this fool AE cameras into underexposing.

Ricoh R1, Arista Premium 400, expired 2014, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2021.12.31 Roll #297-06798-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Back