Riding a Bike with a Leica M8

daleeman

Local time
4:22 AM
Does anyone have any practicle experience with doing bike riding and traveling with a body with 2 or so other lenses, plus those pesky and necessary batteries?

I just got a new bike hybred-cross over type, easy riding with a flat bike rack and bungie cords over the rear tire and I was wondering how people transport their equipment and a tripod for day rides.

Lee

I have my m8 on my body always, in a backpack, to absorb some of the shock when i cycle.
I've been looking for a camera bumbag that opens from the top for easy access and rather than having to remove a backpack to get at the camera.
Lowpro did the 'Orion mini bumbag' but i think they have discontinued it but the Lowpro outback 100 looks ok if a little too big for me as i usually just ride with the camera and one lens.

I'd say camera-specific backpack or messenger back. Some of the backpacks seem to be easily accessible (although mine is not).

I do it all the time but admittedly it's in a billingham case which is in my boblbee backpack. Pretty safe this way but not exactly built for easy access if you see something you want to shoot while riding.

There's no perfect way to carry a camera like a Leica M on a bike. A backpack is better than a bike-mounted bag for protecting the camera from vibrations and bumps, but if you fall off your bike at any speed you can do serious damage to yourself and your gear by having it strapped to you back. Best of luck and safe riding!

I cycle in order to photograph. I have a 'touring' type bike and carry two bags on a front 'low rider' rack, and two large panniers on a rear rack. A bagged tripod is strapped on the rear pannier, and the camera goes in a small bag which travels in one of the rear panniers amongst items of clothing to give a softer ride. No issues, no problems, and a hell of a lot easier and lighter than the considerable amount of view-camera and roll-film gear I used to haul around. I recommend bubble-wrap for added protection of fragile gear.

Lloyd Chambers [of Diglloyd] is a cycling photographer, though I don't know if he has written specifically on the subject :

http://diglloyd.com/index.html

............. Chris

I prefer traditional logistics - to all this fancy modern stuff!
Dave.
4612517606_ef1bdf2fa5_b.jpg

I use a nice bag that straps to my belt and over my shoulder and I cross my M9 over my shoulder and under the opposite arm. Works fine for one lens on the camera and 2 in the bag. I bicycle every day.

Backpack or messenger bag. I wiped out on my bike in the rain a few years back with my M6ttl in my pocket. Slid across the main shopping street (walking area) on a busy thurs eve! End result = a rangefinder way out in the vertical, I was fine albeit a little embarassed. I didn't feel a thing however as I was, very very drunk (RBqc):D

Backpack or three point messenger bag. never strapped to bike,
I've cycled all my life (touring and racing) and hit the road (literally!) in spectacular fashion - a few times!....I really would not like to land on a Leica! - or any other camera. A bar bag with plenty of padding around the gear was always fine for me.
Dave.

I'm old school enough to believe luggage and contents (cameras) should be carried on the bike, not on the person. I have always done this with many cameras, never a one ever harmed in the least. These days, I have my iPhone, light inconspicuous and producer of good-enough images to document my wandering.

I'm old school enough to believe luggage and contents (cameras) should be carried on the bike, not on the person. I have always done this with many cameras, never a one ever harmed in the least. These days, I have my iPhone, light inconspicuous and producer of good-enough images to document my wandering.
Exactly!... cycle or motor cycle - let the machine carry stuff, not the body!. I shudder to see idiots on motor cycles- with heavy rucksacks strapped on their backs!:eek:
Dave.

I carried my M either in the front handlebar bag or in a rear rack bag. To isolate it from vibrations I bought a block of foam rubber at fabric store. Hollowed it out to shape of camera. No problems.

Back