SANDISK Extreme 64GB CompactFlash Card

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
2:58 PM
Suddenly, my Nikon D700 asks me to use another card as this card is defective. I have all files saved, so no images were lost. Is this an issue with the D700 or with the card or with both? Is the remedy to throw away my only card for the D700 and get a different one? Do you have a recommendation? Thanks.

When I tried to format the card in the camera, it did not do it. I then formatted the card from an external drive, and it got formatted, but the D700 does not like this card anymore.

Check the contacts carefully. Try cleaning with an electronic cleaner. I think I have a card I could send you if you want to try that.

Check the contacts carefully. Try cleaning with an electronic cleaner. I think I have a card I could send you if you want to try that.

Thanks a lot. What exactly is an electronic cleaner? Is it similar to a sensor cleaner?

Find out what the maximum size card Nikon recommends...I had a similar problem with my tablet and a 128GB SanDisk card...I originally had a 32GB card replaced it with the 128 card and started losing images...bought a 64GB card and everything is good now...

OK, I may have some useful information on the situation.
The D700 keeps on showing the CHA error no matter what I do with the camera.
I placed the sandisk card into a card reader with my computer, and the card can be read. I downloaded some images on it from my computer. There is no error message.
When I insert the card into the D700, I see the CHA, and I still manage to format the card. I do not see any additional information that the D700 is faulty somehow.
The CHA error remains.

Is it a sudden D700-sandisk error?

The online discussions on same issue give different exxperiences.

Should I get a new CompactFlash card (not sandisk) and try it with the d700?

This is one of the posted suggestions:

==============================================================
Re: Unable to format 64GB CF card on Nikon d700
Options
‎05-04-2017 11:45 PM

I also face this same issue, however my camera model is different from you. I just fixed my Nikon by doing this:

First put the SD card into the computer, let it load, and then open a explorer window showing the card.
Then, right click on the item representing the card, choose "Format"
Second, format it as NTFS, even though it should be FAT32
After it's done formatting, pop it into the camera, it will format it automatically, and it should be fixed.

Hope this works!

You can see full details in Nikon D700 Manual
======================================

Hi Raid,

I can only share my personal experiences with the D700 and Compact Flash cards.

A few years ago, when I was shooting the total eclipse here in Oregon, I knew I would be shooting many images so I purchased a 128GB compact flash card, not realizing those cards would not work in my D700. I can't remember the message that the camera gave me, but the card would not work and I ended up returning the card to B&H, where I'd purchased it.

I am wondering if, for some strange reason, your D700 "thinks" your 64GB card is actually a much larger card and that's why it won't work. The possibility of this happening is admittedly pretty slender, but who knows what a camera thinks :)

Another possibility I thought of is perhaps you may not have the latest firmware on your D700 as 64GB cards can only be used if you have the latest firmware.

I hope you can get this issue resolved.

Take care,

Ellen

Thanks for your input, Ellen. The strange thing is that when I got this (used) D700, it came with this card. I used it and it worked well. I downloaded all images from the card to my computer more than once. After the last image download, the D700 sees the card as being defective. There is no obvious error causing factor that I can detect.

Have you tried removing the battery from the camera and letting it sit for at least 10 seconds before reinserting it?
Might just be worth a try.

You probably bent a pin in the D700.

You don't have any other CF cards?? Of any size? Strange, to me. I use 16 and 32 GB cards, swapping when necessary. On important jobs I would backup files to a laptop when one card filled. God-forbid a sudden card failure after shooting an entire multi-thousand dollar job, discovered after returning home. Of course my newer cameras have dual slots, but I always preferred CF for reliability, which aren't really used anymore.

How could I repair the card reader? Mail the camera to a Nikon dealer?
Can a bent pin be straightened out again?

A bent pin in the camera can be repaired, but it will cost a lot and if parts are available.

Always push in slowly and keep it square. If you broke a pin from a reader and it is lodged in the card, chances are high you bent a camera pin. Inspect before reinserting in camera every time. People laugh, but with CF cards I find it better to go from camera to computer directly always leaving the card in the camera. Avoid the problem. Turn off camera, connect, then turn off camera. ALWAYS.

Update the camera firmware from Nikon site. Newer versions allow higher capacity cards to work.

Format the card in camera, not in computer.

Update camera firmware.

Once upon a time you could have bought Electronic Cleaner at Radio Shack -:(. I think you can find at an auto parts store. It comes in an aerosol can and is for cleaning electrical contacts. If you buy it make sure it says it will not damage plastic (some will).
Shine a flashlight into the card holder (without the card) and you can see the two rows of 24 pins that insert into the flash card. If one is bent will be obvious. If bent only a small amount it will not be inserted into the card slot. You may be able to carefully straighten it with a small screwdriver. Seriously doubt that it is worth the repair cost.

Thank you for your advices and feedback. I will try to find a n Electronic Cleaner at home first, and I will use a flashlight to look for a bent or broken pin.

PS: A friend of mine, always very careful, still managed to bend a pin on his old D2H. It's not worth much, so he didn't fix it. I believe the shop quoted him $250 or $300. YMMV.

If the pin was slightly bent, it can be repairable with a steady hand, but since you've put the card in and out dozens of times now, it's probably either broken off or smashed flat inside, necessitating a tear-down. I hope that isn't your problem, but that's what I'm thinking it is. Let us know.

I bent a pin on a D300(?) I had and managed to straighten it (and I do not have a steady hand!). After that, and with my D700, I never removed the card gain, always using a USB able to transfer images.

Back