Yokohama, Japan - July 2023
Image is lower resolution than original​

Street Portrait​
DSC00321.jpg

Sony A7III, Sigma 50mm f2 DG DN lens
Sony in camera color JPEG
Yokohama, Japan - July 2023
Image is lower resolution than original​

@Yokosuka_Mike @sevres_babylone How do you find the autofocus speed of the 65mm f2 compared with the other Sigma primes? Does the macro capability mean it focuses more slowly? Just curious if the 65 could be a good alternative for the 50mm f2, but with macro.

Edited to add: I just looked up the lens and found that it isn't a macro, which I thought it was. Nevertheless, how is the autofocus speed and accuracy compared with the 50mm f2?

@Yokosuka_Mike @sevres_babylone How do you find the autofocus speed of the 65mm f2 compared with the other Sigma primes? Does the macro capability mean it focuses more slowly? Just curious if the 65 could be a good alternative for the 50mm f2, but with macro.

Edited to add: I just looked up the lens and found that it isn't a macro, which I thought it was. Nevertheless, how is the autofocus speed and accuracy compared with the 50mm f2?

Archiver,

Both the Sigma 50mm f2 and 65mm f2 "I Series" lenses have blazing fast auto-focus on my Sony A7III camera.

Both AF-S and AF-C are amazingly fast. I take a lot of pictures of moving cars, motorcycles, bicycles and people using AF-C (continuous focusing) and I never have a problem; I'm always impressed!

For my style of photography I use the 65mm lens a lot more that the 50mm. The images I get with the 65mm always impress me. BTW, I tend to use both lens at f2 almost all the time.

All the best,
Mike

Archiver, I can only agree with Yokosuka Mike. I have not found any issues of slow focus, but his opinion is worth more, because he is photographing faster moving subjects than me.
Not your question, but for me coming from Olympus OM (film camera) lenses and then M-mount and LTM lenses on the Epson and then the M9, I do find it to be a comparatively large and heavy lens, But the lens quality seems to me to be at least as good as the Planar 50mm. The size is a factor for me because I shoot a lot in bars with two bodies with lenses in the Hadley Pro small bag, because it is easier to switch cameras rather than change lenses in a crowd. However, in situations where I know I’m going to be close to the stage, the 65mm is more useful than my favourite Sigma, the 90mm, and, in those situations, I am tempted to go with one body with the 65mm and occasionally change to the Sigma 24mm F3.5 (just to contradict myself:) ) which I recently bought and like quite a bit.

...and it has an aperture ring.
If the aperture ring comment was in response to my comment, I should have clarified that I was talking about the m-mount planar, not the FE-mount one which I have never used. For a long time I was using converted lenses for my 50s, but that changed when with failing eyesight I use autofocus lenses more these days, starting with the Sigma 45mm (though I now prefer the Sony 50mm F2.5, primarily for its compactness.) But yes, aperture rings are important for me in lens choices.

Back