Simon Forster's Custom Lens Caps

Coldkennels

Barnack-toting Brit.
Local time
11:59 AM
I just wanted to make a quick post to praise Simon Forster of simonforsterphotographic.co.uk. He 3D prints bespoke and custom lens caps (including a bunch for obscure/awkward lens mounts like the Contax RF one), so I contacted him on Twitter (@SimonFor) to see if he could knock me something up to protect the viewfinder of this Focoslide in my camera bag. After all, there's no filter thread to snap a modern lens cap onto, it falls right between most of the common push-fit sizes, and (correct me if I'm wrong) Leitz never made their own lens caps for these.

After confirming he could knock something together, I took a couple of measurements with some vernier callipers for him, paid £10, and within two days this turned up in my letterbox - an absolutely perfect fit.

IMG_4486.jpg

If you're looking for (and struggling to find) any sort of lens cap, definitely give him a shout.

Simon makes great caps. He has a US distributor for the full production stuff. I have a bunch for Nikon S gear which fit very nicely. And some glow in the dark or, better yet, are orange.

I was looking for a lens cap for a Mamiya 80mm 2.8 TLR lens and everything I found on ebay was almost twice what I paid for my Forster cap.
I do like it and its well made...they come in several colors but boring me went with black...

I also have a boring black cap (Olympus) from Simon.

I hope they restart the Classic Lenses podcast at some point.

Reactions: BWF
Simon makes great caps. He has a US distributor for the full production stuff. I have a bunch for Nikon S gear which fit very nicely. And some glow in the dark or, better yet, are orange.

How do I get ahold of the US distributor?

Back