Soligor 135mm Lens Test

farlymac

PF McFarland
Local time
6:53 PM
This is the lens I tore down and cleaned out in a previous post. I obviously didn't mount it correctly on the camera, as the focus was way off.

The first two shots show the difference in field of view between the 35mm Sandmar, and the 135mm Soligor.

The third shot is just totally out of focus, and the forth shot shows there is a focal point in the background when the lens is set at closest focus. My fault.

Stadium 35mm View by br1078phot, on Flickr

Stadium 135mm View by br1078phot, on Flickr

135mm Terribly Wrong by br1078phot, on Flickr

Close-Focus Test by br1078phot, on Flickr

PF

It seems that you need to re-collimate you lens. I had to do the same with my Takumar 35/2.

Edit: This is how i did it. Your lens might be different though... Good luck!
http://pansfilmcameras.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/pentax-smc-takumar-stuck-on-zenit.html

No, it's just a matter of getting the lens mounted correctly. The problem with the third party lenses for the C-3 is that no one seemed to pay attention to the register of the mount, and so one finds the center mark of the lens all over the clock face. My 35mm Sandmar lines up almost Top Dead Center (TDC), while the 100mm Sandmar is at 5 o'clock. The 135mm Soligor settled at 2:30, then seemed to back off the mount as I rotated it to a point to match the rangefinder, but I didn't notice that.

It's also odd that I have to set the 50mm Cintar to close focus, but the other lenses need to be at infinity.

PF

I checked the lens mount today, and couldn't really find anything wrong with it. So I finally did a film plane focus check, and realized I screwed up. Infinity was at the twelve foot mark on the lens scale, so I knew I had to open it back up, and reverse the 5th element.

So, you were right, Pan. I got too confident in my ability to determine the correct orientation of that element going on previous experience. Maybe it's time I invested in one of those little suction cups for removing lens elements, as it came tumbling out while I was dismantling the lens. With my luck at playing the Lottery, I should have know I didn't stand a chance of getting it right, even with 50/50 odds.

It's back together now, so all I have to do is film test it again.

PF

Classic stuff, I've done that loads :D

CNV00034.JPG

Back