sound off...who still has an rd1?

I still have mine, although it is resting while I work through my remaining stock of Kodachrome 64 with my Nikon FE and revived Leica IIIC.

Off topic; I picked up a second-hand Voightlander 25mm f4 'Snapshot-Skopar' and viewfinder for my son, then borrowed it back to use on the IIIC. Boy, is it sharp – and far less distortion than the retrofocus Nikon SLR wide angle lenses.

I brought myself a M9, sold my M8 partly to finance the M9, but the R-D1s is here to stay. I love using it, it takes great photos for 6 megapixels, I 've found photos printable perfect a 8R and I have blown it a up to 30inch and found it acceptable. For the pixels it gives, it gives lovely pixels. I have a E-P1 also and wouldn't bat an eye to sell it either. Verdict is still out for the M9.

I am heading to Tibet next week and I am still battling which camera to bring, definitely the M9 but do I keep to one system and bring my R-D1s or bring my best and bring along my 5DMk2.... decisions... It will put the M9 to the test.

Extreme conditions, dust, UV, vast landscapes, streetscapes, documentary, people. I am going out on a limb to rely on the M9 for such an important trip, if it fails than it is back to the Canon stables. I am bringing the M9 for one of its primary advantages: Weight.

A full set of lenses wouldn't weight more than my Canon 70-200/2.8 IS.

Dr. Eric Lai
Antfarm Photographic Gallery
http://lynette-and-drericlai.smugmug.com/

Last edited:
Feel free to start another entire thread about how you find the M9 vs. R-D1 vs. 5DMkII...I don't want to completely derail this one! But, very interested in how the high ISO files compare between those three.

I'm considering swapping the R-D1 for an M9 to use for travel, in lieu of my whole 1-series Canon kit for the exact reason you say - 'A full set of lenses wouldn't weight more than my Canon 70-200/2.8 IS.'
R

I still have mine too!!Until now, the idea of getting a M9 is out of question.Too much money to burn, even though well burned!!I sold the Nokton 50/1.5 (too short on the RD1), bought a Nikon SB28 and kept the Skopar 35/2.5...
I´ve been using quite a lot...even professionally!!I´m thinking on posting some photos of a wedding, photographed with it...just wait!!rsrs
So...great camera, great photos...I love it...

Have my RD1 (upgraded to RD1S firmware) - it gets infrequent use, i'd like to get a wider lens for it - - but happy with it all the time.

I just bought a used early one (serial is pre 2000).
How many were made of these? Where there any issues with the earlier ones?

I like it a lot so far. A lot lighter than my M6, but a bit more bulky and much more demanding on the battery ;-)

Try, to get new leather and a bag full of batteries and external viewfinders now.

Just remember to compensate for crop factor when you look at viewfinders (if not specifically made for the R-D1). 35mm full frame viewfinders need to be 1.5 times the actual focal length of the lens. In my case I've added a 90mm (soon on its way) to my range of optics, and need a 135mm viewfinder to cope with it. (90x1.5=135).

EDIT: Issues? None particular to early vs late ones as far as I know. Follow the sticky thread at the top of the R-D1 forum to Rich Cutler's site for all the usual issues with this camera. There are some, but they can be overcome or repaired. The site is the best resource out there.

Last edited:
I am snake bit! Two weeks after receiving my R-D1 my main TV went away and had to be replaced, a major purchase. I sadly sold the R-D1 to my son, who has been having a ball this past week. I got a call this AM that the LCD screen will not come on. I searched here and sent him Steve's URL. I had promised him to pay half the repairs so it will not hit him too hard.

In the long run, he will have a better camera. He is a member here as Chuck Cates and is a better (less thinned skin) photographer than I am.

I will get another one of these days. :bang:

I am snake bit! Two weeks after receiving my R-D1 my main TV went away and had to be replaced, a major purchase. I sadly sold the R-D1 to my son, who has been having a ball this past week. I got a call this AM that the LCD screen will not come on. I searched here and sent him Steve's URL. I had promised him to pay half the repairs so it will not hit him too hard.

In the long run, he will have a better camera. He is a member here as Chuck Cates and is a better (less thinned skin) photographer than I am.

I will get another one of these days. :bang:

Ahhh - screw the TV set - sell the new one and get another RD1 or two :D

Seriously - about 3 years ago, I decided, I am fed up with the brainsoftening program on every single channel these days and extinguished all TV sets around me. The only thing, I am missing is the running news channel and the sports channels for motorsports events (which got more and more useless, as important to me events like sportscar racing, rally, MTB and alike got only 15 minutes every few weeks).

I am a much happier person without the dull mass hypnotizing thing and enjoy the freed up time with photography ;)

Back