Spotted a Leica M-D in Jan 26th's episode of VICE News Tonight

helvetica

Well-known
Local time
7:01 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I habitually try to identify the cameras being used by journalists when watching the news. This time I was quite delighted and surprised to not only see a Leica, but the M-D version at that!

PS: forgive my dual post from Reddit, it is a very handy place to upload and share images from!

vaqm8ct3y6cy.jpg

It's kind of wild to think of front line journalists still using Leica M bodies - but a digital M without a screen for reportage just seems - brave? Heh.

Just saying . .

Just saying . .

It's kind of wild to think of front line journalists still using Leica M bodies - but a digital M without a screen for reportage just seems - brave? Heh.

"without a screen for reportage" -- really? Generations of war and action photogs took terrific pix without staring at a screen. You actually had to develop the film to se what you captured. Just saying . . .

The abandoned spaces series with rick mcrank had him carrying his m6 around and shooting it in almost every episode. Maybe you missed that one but it's a little more Leica action that's not a fleeting moment on screen haha

"without a screen for reportage" -- really? Generations of war and action photogs took terrific pix without staring at a screen. You actually had to develop the film to se what you captured. Just saying . . .

Once upon a time, absolutely. I'm blessed to have the Magnum archive in my town and have seen some fantastic journalism done on Leica's of the film era - but Journalism today is different. [note: seems different, I am only an armchair journalist]

I've read plenty of stories from journalists across the spectrum - sports, local news, and conflict journalists - that recount uploading the images to their editors immediately after shooting. Sometimes having their images live on their newspaper's webpage before they even make it back to the hotel room. Lynsey Addario had an story about uploading photos from under an armored vehicle via a sat-phone during a gun battle.

In that context, I found the M-D surprising. At minimum, the photographer would need to break out a laptop, download the DNG raw files before they even saw if the pictures were correct, then cull through, export and upload the selected ones; as opposed to the 1D/D4 style cameras that are uploading the ones selected by reviewing in camera to FTP directly.

To each their own, however, and I applaud that particular photojournalist and it brought me a smile!

Wait... is the M-D 262 output even acceptable to editors in these days of JPEG-only reportage? The camera cannot output JPEG files...

The abandoned spaces series with rick mcrank had him carrying his m6 around and shooting it in almost every episode. Maybe you missed that one but it's a little more Leica action that's not a fleeting moment on screen haha

Well, thank you for introducing me to this series, it's really interesting and his Leica is so.. black:cool:

Back