Summilux 75mm 1.4 with Leica M9

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
10:21 AM
My back-up set yesterday was the M9 with the Summilux 75mm 1.4. The other set was a M10 with CZJ 5cm 1.5.
We had some fog. I wanted to use the Lux to capture some fine details.

link:https://raid.smugmug.com/Leica-M9-Summilux-75mm-12272021/

75mm1.4Lux--X3.jpg

75mm1.4Lux--2-X3.jpg

75mm1.4Lux--3-X3.jpg

75mm1.4Lux--4-X3.jpg

75mm1.4Lux--5-X3.jpg

75mm1.4Lux--6-X3.jpg

75mm1.4Lux--7-X3.jpg

75mm1.4Lux--8-X3.jpg

In the end, I used both sets. Both lenses gave nice looking images.

The Lux can capture fine details that may not been seen in the full size image unless you blow up the image.Take a look at the crop shown above.

The 75 summilux is a dream lens for me. I don't have any 75s, but I know I like the FL after using the lux for several hours. I wish I could remember the fine gentleman who let me play with that lens (and others). However, my wife would shoot me and then run me over if I bought a 75 summilux today. For some reason it seemed within grasp a few years ago....not so anymore.
Thanks for sharing some nice images from a nice lens! The CZJ ain't no slouch either.

Thank you. The Lux sells for $4000 these days. I have the old model. Most likely, the new Summicron APO 75/2 is sharper.

Most likely, the new Summicron APO 75/2 is sharper.

It is.
Years ago I bought one because I missed the ~70mm FL from my Nikon days shooting a 24-70 zoom. Shot the Summicron for about a year, but never really connected with it. Even went so far as to have it adjusted by DAG thinking its focus was off. The rendering just didn't do it for me and so I sold it off (break-even; free one-year rental ;-)).
While mulling over buying a CV 75, I stumbled across a late-model German Summilux--before those started selling for $5-6k+--and while not as high-resolving, its rendering particularly at wider apertures is sublime. Especially using a Monochrom. All a matter of personal aesthetic at the end of the day.

Looking at Raid's crop, you may get what I mean:

75mm1.4Lux--5-crop-X2.jpg

Thanks James. I bought from someone a Summilux 35 and Summilux 75 in one year. He "tricked me"! He let me use both lenses for several months until I sent him payment. I was unable to resist. I have no regrets. Both lenses draw beautifully, and both are not the sharpest lenses. They are just perfect for what I like to see in images. The 75mm Lux is a very special lens. It creates easily beautiful images. The details can be stunning. It is as if the Lux plays with the details to bring out the best possible drawing. Here, I knew that just pointing at the water that I would get fine details that I was unable to see through the viewfinder.

Back