The DR Summicron will work in near range and normal range on M9

No point in using it on the M9. Get a Rigid and keep the DR for film Ms. I love this lens, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking online I see 19 written along the axis of the lens after the m of meter in collapsibles and later Summicrons, but not the DR. Maybe it's written elsewhere. Or maybe it was superfluous precisely because they did make them all 51.9 in focal length. Is the barrel of the DR lens unit scribed like I've seen with the Rigids online? All the 50mm lenses I've seen just now are all 19 (51.9). On the barrel of the lens unit of the Rigid it is scribed by hand in full 51.9.

Since my DR is an old version DR from 1958, I could then buy any DR goggles. I think that this is correct based on what has been posted here. Of course, the issue of using it on an M9 is up for debate.

How rare and expensive is the black Dual Range Summicron?
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summicron_(I)_f=_5_cm_1:2
M-5f2dr.jpg

You need a set of goggles as mentioned to enable the lens to get into close focus range, but once there they don't need to be accurate if you are using Live view - the auxiliary glass is irrelevant at that point.

However, if you do want to use it on a film camera, then you may well find the goggles aren't accurate. Also the price people want for the things is ridiculous!

You don't need the goggles to get the lens into close range, all that needs to be done is to move the lens the close focus from infinity, press the ball bearing down, pull out the focusing barrel and move it to close focus range. If you get it over to the farthest focusing point in close focus range (about 1m) then it will lock up on you and you have to press the ball bearing again to move the helicoid.
Phil Forrest

You don't need the goggles to get the lens into close range, all that needs to be done is to move the lens the close focus from infinity, press the ball bearing down, pull out the focusing barrel and move it to close focus range. If you get it over to the farthest focusing point in close focus range (about 1m) then it will lock up on you and you have to press the ball bearing again to move the helicoid.
Phil Forrest
If you have Live View why not just get some close up filters?

I want to use the DR as a normal lens and not for close-up photography. It is a very sharp lens after all. In order not to damage my M9 or M10, I need to follow the posted suggestions on how to mount the lens on the camera.

No issues at all then Raid - if you don't want to use the close range, just attach it as a normal lens. It's only the goggles that complicate mounting (not much) but you don't have those.

No issues at all then Raid - if you don't want to use the close range, just attach it as a normal lens. It's only the goggles that complicate mounting (not much) but you don't have those.

This is good to know. I have avoided using this lens on any of my M cameras so far, and I used it only with my m 4/3. Thanks.

There is another way to use the DR in close-focus mode. The distance scale on the lens is very, very accurate -- at least mine is. Just put the camera on a tripod, get a tape measure, set the focus on the distance scale and snap away.

There is another way to use the DR in close-focus mode. The distance scale on the lens is very, very accurate -- at least mine is. Just put the camera on a tripod, get a tape measure, set the focus on the distance scale and snap away.

So there will be no damage to the camera this way too?

So there will be no damage to the camera this way too?

Not as long as you put the lens in the close focusing mode before fitting it to the camera; and then either leave it that way, or, if you move it to the normal range, keep the focus well short of infinity, no more than 12 feet as Richard G said.

I've tried it, Raid. It's OK.

Back