Thom Hogan On M10

Dear Peter
I am casting my mind back to the September 2009 post "professionals are ditching thier DSLR's for M9's" and if I recall correctly, you were one who attested to that.
We had a number of very genial exchanges and after a while you said you would keep you D3's but were switching to M9's for much of your work.
Is this still the case, and how do you find your 2 M9's? Have you ditched you D3's?

best wishes

Richard

Hi Richard,
No I haven't ditched the Nikons and I'm also fairly happy with my M9s. I guess its weight considerations for me. If I know the sort of job I'm going to do and I won't need to use a focal length longer than 90 mm the Leica's are wonderfull. If I'm going to have to shoot long then its the Nikons.

Same old story the more gear you have the more you think you need to take and self discipline slides into oblivion along with 'common sense'

There is some post on here about using a rangefinder with 2/3/ or even 500mm lenses. I'd recon to use a 500m on a rangefinder you would need a 'rangefinder base' of about half a metre on the camera. Err no thank you.
Maybe I'm very fortunate to be able to have the choice although it does cost me and not only financialy.
Very best wishes to you and 'Good shooting'
Peter.

Hi Richard,
No I haven't ditched the Nikons and I'm also fairly happy with my M9s. I guess its weight considerations for me. If I know the sort of job I'm going to do and I won't need to use a focal length longer than 90 mm the Leica's are wonderfull. If I'm going to have to shoot long then its the Nikons.

Same old story the more gear you have the more you think you need to take and self discipline slides into oblivion along with 'common sense'

There is some post on here about using a rangefinder with 2/3/ or even 500mm lenses. I'd recon to use a 500m on a rangefinder you would need a 'rangefinder base' of about half a metre on the camera. Err no thank you.
Maybe I'm very fortunate to be able to have the choice although it does cost me and not only financialy.
Very best wishes to you and 'Good shooting'
Peter.
Dear Peter
Glad your 9's are going well.
I for one take your comments about the M9 seriously as you actually use them to earn a living.
Very best wishes
Richard

It has come down to that huh? wow.

When M9 came out I predicted that a lot of DSLR owners would adopt it and in the process discovered ways to use an old concept such as rangefinder focusing along with its advantages.

But, I didn't expect for them to go the other way and suggested changes that clearly indicates that they just "don't get it" :)

Absolutley right .

Sorry, I don't buy that at all. Sure there were some "growing pains" when it was introduced. Firmware revisions and UV/IR filters have remedied these. The M8 platform we have today is not what we had when it was introduced. Is the M8 "perfect" now? No, of course not. But...

I for one am VERY happy with my M8. Even without a single "upgrade" it provides me with images that make my Canon DSLR and L lenses look lackluster. Works for me.

Now granted, I picked mine up used just over a year ago. It has not given me one stitch of trouble in that time and I've dragged it all over the place through all manner of conditions.

Very pleased that you are happy with your M8.
Unfortunatley Leica decided to replace it with a new camera, the M9 in an unusually record time ...for them.

Back