Thypoch lenses from China

The description is an exercise in marketing poetry.

As for the "innovative" manner of indicating depth of field, that's a lie. They stole it from the old Alpa Switar lenses.

There is one review on YouTube, including some sample photos. Let's wait for a comparative review of the TTArtisan 1.4/35 and the Thypoch 1.4/35, keeping in mind that the asking price for the latter is quite a bit higher. Cheers, OtL

Yes the marketing copy is a bit of a stretch I'd say.

Also, strange using lower-case "ft" for feet and upper-case "M" for meters. ...And those weird 'tilde' serif tails on the "2's" and "5's".

And, what's up with all the dots... ... ...?

But, if I got this lens, I would just shoot it at f/1116 and "be there": :)
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 4.31.56 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 4.33.00 AM.png

Last edited:
Thypoch, huh?

Sometimes I'll surf Amazon just to find humorous Chinese brand names.

Chris

Last edited:
More marketing mambo jambo information:

Boutique "Best Seller" Thypoch camera lenses, ("Thypoch" inspired by "Know Thyself" and occasionally "Fleece Thyself") reaps the Tax Perks of China’s buddy American Samoa bringing Thypoch the legitimacy they desperately needed to move forward in the worldwide photography lens market.

Thypoch lenses... Get onboard! Or feel your behind!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just kidding, just having some fun. Please disregard.
Mike

The manufacturer for most Chinese lens maker is DJ optical, you design they make. The artisans - TT or 7 are both use DJ. The luxury/collectible knock off lens made in different factory. It is small niche market, VM is probably a better choice in term of quality and established brand.

I guess it is a bandwagon now for Chinese companies to make M-Mount lenses.

Of those that I've bought: the 7artisans 75/1.25 is my favorite. All spherical optics. Get my best shots in low-light with it on the M9. The colors are vivid.
The TTArtisans 50/0.95: Gets good with a Y48 filter on the M Monochrom. On the M9 and M240: "dull colors" and "Soft". On the M Monochrom with the Y48- much sharper.
The 90/1.5 Mitakon, cheap replacement for a Canon 85/1.5. Almost as good. Good reach, easy to focus. Also use it on the Z5.
7Artisans 50/1.1- I bought two, one for use on the M Monochrom with Y48 and the other for the M9. Both calibrated for each camera. Sonnars, Baby! I need to compare between the M9 and M240. Optically, closest to the Zunow 5cm F1.1 v2. Price- the same as that lens was in the 1950s.

This new company needs to find someone that can get "ASPH" spelled correctly and do a professional website with pictures that show off the lens- not make it look like yet another "me too" lens with muddy colors and way-to-soft images. According to the Website- this lens is made for APS-H. Big difference in ASPH and APSH.

"Seeing into eternity" They seriously need to change this motto to "seeing into deep discounts on yet another brand of Chinese lenses dumped on Ebay."

Last edited:

And, what's up with all the dots... ... ...?
They stole the method of indicating depth of field from Alpa's Switar lenses from about the 1960's. So, they're not innovating anything. Anyway, it's not a very good way of indicating depth of field when compared to the moving red indicators that Carl Zeiss Hasselblad lenses used (and the Voigtländer Bessamatic Skopar lenses as well). Rolleiflex also used moving indicators.

B422AFF4-16A9-4D29-80EB-1BC5FBB77860.jpg

Kodak Retina lenses for the Reflex-S, Reflex-III, and Reflex-IV also had moving indicators. The Stops on the Thypoch lenses are not linear- so the dot pattern scale is bizarre looking.

With all this- took the TTartisans 50/0.95 lens out again. Used on the M240- muddy colors. SO- I put a red filter on it and used on the M Monochrom. Better.
The images on the Thypoch site are truly awful - remind me of why I use the TTArtisans lens on the M Monochrom with a deep filter.

They stole the method of indicating depth of field from Alpa's Switar lenses from about the 1960's. So, they're not innovating anything. Anyway, it's not a very good way of indicating depth of field when compared to the moving red indicators that Carl Zeiss Hasselblad lenses used (and the Voigtländer Bessamatic Skopar lenses as well). Rolleiflex also used moving indicators.

View attachment 4828437

And Exakta lenses, eg the 2/50 Pancolar.

Just watched a review video of their 35mm f1.4 lens on bilibili.com.

My take: try-to-be-funny-but-stupid brand/lens names, so-so performance, not really that cheap. Even then, it is still more respectable than to clone Leica classic lenses.

Back