Topcon RE Super

silverhalidedreamer

Established
Local time
4:10 AM
Hello.

A friend gifted these items to me yesterday. Funny thing is, I have been looking for a rangefinder (film) camera with a killer lens, and was about to purchase a Konica fixed lens camera. I stopped over a friend's house and was given the camera, a waist level finder with case, a motor winder, a hand strap, a Samigon 3x extender, another extender of some sort made in E. Germany, and a 75-260mm Soligor lens.

I was about to throw it away discreetly (Soligor made me think it was worthless), until I found the shutter to be working; even 1 sec. seems accurate. Apparently, people like these. I don't know whether to buy a real lens and use it, or put it up on the bay.

Is is worth the trouble to keep? Thoughts welcome.

Attachments

• DSCF0480.jpg
    DSCF0480.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0478.jpg
    DSCF0478.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0476.jpg
    DSCF0476.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0
This Topcon is built like a tank. I got one years ago on a Dutch Auction for not much money. It came with the standard 58mm/f1.4 lens.

I have not used it much, but I think the waist level finder feature is worth keeping. I also had a couple of Exakta cameras that are not functioning anymore. When those were working, I loved the waist level finder feature.

The other camera with waist level finder that I have used is the Miranda Sensorex.

If you do not already know, the Topcon can use Exakta lenses, except that those need to be mounted upside down. So it can be inconvenient to use, but certainly usable.

But neither of these brands are expensive on the used market.

If you are into macro photography, that waist level finder is perfect.

You've got a wonderful camera there, and I think the auto winder is pretty rare. The Topcon Super D/RE Super were the photographic weapon of choice for the US Navy for many years, and were as highly regarded as the original Nikon F, at least in durability.
Unfortunately you don't have the main reason for using these cameras today, which is the excellent RE-Topcor lenses. With a little bit of patience you could find a 58mm/1.8 for a reasonable price. The 58s (f1.8 or 1.4) are among the very best normal lenses ever made for an SLR of any brand.
I'm using a Topcor 50mm/2 screw mount lens on my Leica and Canon rangefinders and it is the only lens I've owned that gives the Leica Summicron serious competition in the resolution and smooth-rendering dept.

Keep it. You'll want a Topcon anyway a few years into the future.
It's much better than any Konica fixed lens camera you can find (besides the original Hexar AF.)

Phil Forrest

Again Keep it!! Top quality lens and camera. It became a obscure brand over the years but it made top quality equipment. Really trust worthy. I have some bodies but always ready to use the next one. Let me know if interested on selling the kit.

Marcelo

Keep it. You'll want a Topcon anyway a few years into the future.
It's much better than any Konica fixed lens camera you can find (besides the original Hexar AF.)

Phil Forrest

...even the IIIM?

I was settling; what I really want is a Contax ii/iii with a 50mm 1.5. Perhaps selling this will help offset the cost.

But you guys are making intriguing arguments. I am a sucker for Zeiss normal lenses.

You folks are making quite an argument for keeping this camera. I am going to look around for a normal lens. I don't want to waste film by exposing it through this...Soligor zoom.

Thanks for responding. Best photo community on the web.

You've got a wonderful camera there, and I think the auto winder is pretty rare. The Topcon Super D/RE Super were the photographic weapon of choice for the US Navy for many years, and were as highly regarded as the original Nikon F, at least in durability.
Unfortunately you don't have the main reason for using these cameras today, which is the excellent RE-Topcor lenses. With a little bit of patience you could find a 58mm/1.8 for a reasonable price. The 58s (f1.8 or 1.4) are among the very best normal lenses ever made for an SLR of any brand.
I'm using a Topcor 50mm/2 screw mount lens on my Leica and Canon rangefinders and it is the only lens I've owned that gives the Leica Summicron serious competition in the resolution and smooth-rendering dept.

This is so strange. I always regarded Topcon as a sort of Pentax that didn't quite make it. Not bad. Not spectacular. Just functional. I am truly surprised to find out about the reputation of the lens line.

I wonder if I should have kept that Argus SLR a friend gave me... Oh well.

The Topcon RE Super was a ground breaker in its time and influenced a lot of other cameras.

It was made from 1963 and I suggest you look at the specification of a lot of major makers' cameras in 1963 to see what was so important about it. A hint would be to look closely at its metering system...

Soligor lenses are OK, you'd be surprised who made some of them.

Failing that I run a free camera disposing unit.

Regards, David

Amazing how those free camera disposal units seem to be flourishing these days.

I wish I could find a solid estimate of what it is worth. I am really wanting a rangefinder right now.

Soligors not bad? I would not know. I just viewed them as generic. Seems I am getting an education of sorts today.

This is a high quality camera. Most Soligor lenses are fine, and some are excellent. All this has value either for use or resale - no junk from what I can see.

Hello.

A friend gifted these items to me yesterday. Funny thing is, I have been looking for a rangefinder (film) camera with a killer lens, and was about to purchase a Konica fixed lens camera. I stopped over a friend's house and was given the camera, a waist level finder with case, a motor winder, a hand strap, a Samigon 3x extender, another extender of some sort made in E. Germany, and a 75-260mm Soligor lens.

I was about to throw it away discreetly (Soligor made me think it was worthless), until I found the shutter to be working; even 1 sec. seems accurate. Apparently, people like these. I don't know whether to buy a real lens and use it, or put it up on the bay.

Is is worth the trouble to keep? Thoughts welcome.

The Konica III A/M are great cameras, but you're buying into a rare and possibly hard to repair system. If you want a rangefinder to shoot Konica glass, get a Leica M or a Barnack (or Barnack copy) and find a Hexanon 50mm f/1.9. Then have fun. Also find a 50mm f/3.5 Hexar, you'll be surprised.

If you want a Contax, nothing is going to scratch that itch, so save up for it.
Back in 2003 I wanted a Leica. I had a perfectly fine Hexar AF but sold it to help fund a Leica M2. I used that camera for 2 years then sold it. I've owned too many cameras over the last 30 years but the Hexar is one I wished I never got rid of. Only in the last couple years have I gotten back to my Pentax "roots" with an MX and 50/1.4, a combination that is really all I "need."
If I knew in the early 2000s what I know now, I'd never have gotten into Leica, and would be shooting with a Nikon SP and S2, end of story (that's just my opinion.)

Soligors not bad? I would not know. I just viewed them as generic. Seems I am getting an education of sorts today.

Soligor lenses are like other 3rd party lenses, there are dogs and there are gems. Many were made by Tomioka, which made some very good glass. There is a Soligor 28mm f/2 I've been watching that is uncommon and may sell for quite a bit of money. Also don't discount the usability of other 3rd party lenses like Komura, Spiratone, Tokina, the list goes on. Some of these optics are just as good, and in a few cases, are the exact same lenses as the big brands. Some of them actually offered optics no other brand did, like the rare Komura 105mm f/2 in LTM.
The name on the lens has nothing to do with the light that passes through it, that's all on you.

Phil Forrest

Soligor lens yeah, a mixed lot. I have some excellent Soligors made for Miranda that I still use. Tomioka made some of those that are great. I wouldn't discount them out of the bat. That said, zooms were not the greatest of them IMHO :p

Best regards

This is so strange. I always regarded Topcon as a sort of Pentax that didn't quite make it. Not bad. Not spectacular. Just functional.

I am truly surprised to find out about the reputation of the lens line.

I wonder if I should have kept that Argus slr a friend gave me... Oh well.

Topcon fell into oblivion later on the game but on 60-70 they did it quite well against Canon/Nikon. Like David hinted, they made some great improvements on the build lightmeters that took them apart from their competitors. I guess their Achilles heel was lens, though they where spectacular (great on color) they were limited both on capabilities and variety and Canon/Nikon brought hoards of them to the table.

Topcon

Topcon

My Topcon is, believe it or not, smoother in operation than my Leicaflexes. The lenses stack up against anything. Topcon images pop and sizzle. My advice is this: if you will use the camera, keep it. If it is going to sit, try to get it to a good home. These things need to be used, and they need to carry on a great tradition.

The Konica III A/M are great cameras, but you're buying into a rare and possibly hard to repair system. If you want a rangefinder to shoot Konica glass, get a Leica M or a Barnack (or Barnack copy) and find a Hexanon 50mm f/1.9. Then have fun. Also find a 50mm f/3.5 Hexar, you'll be surprised.

Phil Forrest

The repair issue is foremost in my mind with respect to my search for a camera.

Forgive my ignorance; what is a "Barnack" camera? Is it like the old, screw mount Leicas? If so, which do you recommend?

The Auto S2 was my absolute favorite 35mm. They are, however, consumer cameras, and rather long in the tooth, and they tend to go belly up after a while. My experience, at least.

But I love the rendering of Hexar lenses. Nothing quite like them. I feel the same way about the Zeiss Optons. Either would suffice.

My Topcon is, believe it or not, smoother in operation than my Leicaflexes. The lenses stack up against anything. Topcon images pop and sizzle. My advice is this: if you will use the camera, keep it. If it is going to sit, try to get it to a good home. These things need to be used, and they need to carry on a great tradition.

I ALMOST bought a 135mm, RE Topcon today. The only lens they had at the camera store that fit the camera. I have a preference for normal lenses. Anything from 40-60mm is good, for me. 42 is right there.

And then again...it is an slr. The only one I find it difficult to get rid of is an Olympus OM10, but that is because I love the 50mm 1,8.

I agree that fine photo equipment should be used. Collectors annoy me.

I generally prefer rangefinders.

Back