Uncle Earl took them..check it out!

Let me add a couple of varibles.. My observations: They have almost no mechanical skills, no understanding of electronics (didn't take physics in HS, or math), throw money at a reoccuring problem, rather than look for understanding and a lasting solution. They resent someone who is not in there generation, understanding computers, PS, as well or better than they do. When I was a kid, I had jobs all summer long and on weekends when in school. These kids, not all, but most that I delt with, never worked at anything before going into business. Some, the bright ones, assist for a decent photographer. Most think the current pros are on the way out, so it's not worth the time. Then when you see one of these kids land a big account (one, a year or so ago got $30K for a one day shoot for Visa), they think they all can do it. Throw that into the equation and grind it out. I have hope, as I said, one of the young ones really was on top of the game. And he was 23 or so. p.

These kids are all from the local art schools. Very expensive.. one is the same cost as Stanford Univ. And, no Art History. Only knowledge of current, living photographers, in their age group...

This isn't 'stupid 2010 kids'. This is 'stupid, arrogant rich kids'. They've been around a VERY long time.

Cheers,

R.

This isn't 'stupid 2010 kids'. This is 'stupid, arrogant rich kids'. They've been around a VERY long time.

Cheers,

R.

Hi Roger; You may be correct. I don't know what's going on outside this community. I've just never seen this before in the photo business. In the past all rich kids became bankers or brokers (family connections) or invested in land. Maybe this group couldn't cut business school, and were sent off to "art school" so mom and dad could tell the neighbors they were in school.
p.

I've just never seen this before in the photo business.

You should see what's happening where I live in the UK. All the rich kids, of which there seem to be an abundance, are undertaking commercial work gratis, and in some cases getting mommy or daddy to pay the company to let them do the job.

John

Hi Roger; You may be correct. I don't know what's going on outside this community. I've just never seen this before in the photo business. In the past all rich kids became bankers or brokers (family connections) or invested in land. Maybe this group couldn't cut business school, and were sent off to "art school" so mom and dad could tell the neighbors they were in school.
p.

I'm not sure it's easier to get into art school than business school. REALLY rich kids don't go to either: they read something "int'resting" at university, but the main reason for going there is to make contacts for later life, or to keep up with the kids you were at school with. They always choose good 'social' universities, such as Bristol in the UK or USC in the USA, if they can't get into Oxford, Cambridge or the Ivy League, but they seldom choose the more intellectually demanding courses at any of those excellent institutions.

Overall, I've met more intelligent, interesting art school graduates than business school graduates. Of course a lot depends on your definitions of 'intelligent' and 'interesting'. And of 'rich', come to that: there's a difference between 'never having to work for a living' and 'expecting mummy and daddy to look after you until you're in your 30s.'

Cheers,

R.

Hi Ian; Thought you might enjoy this. It's from a current Rff thread

I'm of that new breed of photographer who's only ever used digital - never used film in my life, never will. I can't see a single advantage to film - it's expensive, slow, inconvenient and smelly. To me, using film would be like using, say, old wax cylinders to listen to music!

RichC RFF 8-5-10

Back