Updated B&W Film Scanning Tutorials

Chriscrawfordphoto

Real Men Shoot Film.
Local time
5:34 AM
I created my B&W film scanning tutorial for Vuescan eight years ago, and its been extremely popular; Vuescan's creators even featured it in their customer newsletter a couple years ago. It was in serious need of an update, though. Vuescan's interface has changed a lot since then, so last night, I created a new updated version of the tutorial using the latest versions of Vuescan and Photoshop.

The written version:

The Video version on YouTube:

Wow, Chris - I'm going to have to watch that once I get home.

My scanner is an Epson 800. Aside from what I perceive as Epson's flimsy and fragile film-holders, what drives me crazy is their dust removal.

Maybe you've covered that topic already, I'll have to watch your video.

Wow, Chris - I'm going to have to watch that once I get home.

My scanner is an Epson 800. Aside from what I perceive as Epson's flimsy and fragile film-holders, what drives me crazy is their dust removal.

Maybe you've covered that topic already, I'll have to watch your video.

Dust is a big problem on flatbed scanners because you not only have to clean both sides of the film, you must also clean the glass. Plus, to make matters worse, the glass can sometimes get dust on the bottom of it, requiring you to take the scanner apart.

Chris,

Thank you for sharing this updates of your B&W scanning method, found it so help in my return to scanning film after a break of several years. I'm hoping you know how to resolve and issue that came up this morning with using Vuescan this morning with my Epson V700 when scanning 4x5 negative. I've being using the information you provide for about a week with great result but now for some reason the film holder is showing and I can't figure out what setting I mistakenly changed to make this happen.

Thanks Mike

Back