Used prices

dll927

Well-known
Local time
7:21 PM
Do ALL Leicas go up in prices as soon as a model is discontinued? Mine is an M4-2 purchased new in 1983. I paid $800 for the body. That model may not be considered the greatest of all, but just yesterday I saw one advertised on the KEH website, described as "like new" for something like $1,220. No wonder there are Leica collectors!

I just bought my M4-2 for $850.00 in Houston, TX. I think the M4-2s are not sought after. They are considered cheapened versions. But mine works great and is as solid as can be for a 25+ year old camera! I think the M4-2s are the Leica bargains of a life time. I had the chance to buy an M3 that was in good condition versus the M4-2 in mint- condition. I went for the latter because of the 35mm frame and a cleaner camera for the same price! I don't mind the "stigma" that comes with the M4-2, it didn't cost me any extra money. Besides I use former Soviet Union cameras as much as I use my Leica, so I'm already considered trailer trash.;)

Regards,
Henricus

Hi, dl!

I've been searching for a used M6 (though I haven't ruled out the M5 or the M3, mind you) and found out that KEH & eBay aren't realistic indexes of the used market. Check out other used camera stores and you'll get some more reasonable prices. Now, KEH has reputation as purveyor of good used gear, and also warrants the stuff they sell, but then, so does any other smaller camera store.

Keep looking and you'll find what you want! Good luck!

Try Ken-mar camera. Honest, fair pricing, and their ratings are on the conservative side. I've done business with Ken-Mar and KEH and have been completely satisfied with both. If you want something for almost nothing, try looking in Pawn Shops.

Pawn Shops

Pawn Shops

I'll admit that I've trolled them for Leica and other gear but I've been disapointed in that most of the Pawn shops near me are stuffed with junk. Flea markets are not bad, you can get lucky (I picked up a Leica IIIg at one 10 yrs ago for $75) but they are getting tougher these days as well. Gotta just keep looking and poking around, it's like panning for gold out there sometimes.

That IIIg for $75.00 has to rank as the bargain of a long time, if not lifetime. That was the last of the 'screw-mount' models, and it ought to be worth several times that much by now.

Back