Vince Lupo's Mapping the West

Don’t we all need to calibrate our viewing devices the same way to absolutely see what you see? I suppose the best way is to print them up and stick them on a wall old school. I only save the DNG files and the TIFF and JPEG’s get continuously overwritten. I am pretty new to digital and figured I really should get my own monitor calibrated before making “final“ TIFF files but my Lr and PS skills are not there yet.

And it’s a pleasure and inspiration seeing your work here.

Don’t we all need to calibrate our viewing devices the same way to absolutely see what you see? I suppose the best way is to print them up and stick them on a wall old school. I only save the DNG files and the TIFF and JPEG’s get continuously overwritten. I am pretty new to digital and figured I really should get my own monitor calibrated before making “final“ TIFF files but my Lr and PS skills are not there yet.

And it’s a pleasure and inspiration seeing your work here.
Many thanks Ray -- I sure do appreciate the encouragement!

I've never really had any issues with my 'big' computer, only seems to be a problem when I'm on the road with a dinky laptop. And it's been a consistent thing through three laptops, so I don't know what is up. I even did a side-by-side comparison/calibration with my previous laptop against the 27" iMac, but the problem persisted. Maybe what I should just do is forget about working on any photos while I'm away and wait until I'm home.

Follow-up on my laptop/desktop fiasco...

I fired up my MacBook Air and placed it side-by-side with my 27" iMac. I then went into the Display settings and compared. Well it seems that I had a couple of things checked in the laptop that I didn't have checked in the iMac, namely 'Automatically adjust brightness' and 'True Tone'. So I unchecked those settings and guess what, the two screens now line up. I compared a number of photos and they are now the same. So hopefully that has solved this particular issue. Maybe what I should do is now work on a new photo with the laptop and see how it turns out.

Last edited:
Don’t we all need to calibrate our viewing devices the same way to absolutely see what you see?

There is an ANSI standard for calibration for monitors and printer output. I became a believer in a color managed workflow almost 20 years ago. That is as important for b&w as it is for color.

If you have a calibrated monitor and I do as well, you can be assured we are seeing the same thing on our screens. And everybody else with a calibrated monitor as well. Plus, if you replace your monitor and simply calibrate the new one, it will render the same as your old one. And, if you have good printer profiles, your printed output will match your screen as much as possible from differing types of light sources. You will find that need to make test prints like you once did in the wet darkroom has become history.

There is an ANSI standard for calibration for monitors and printer output. I became a believer in a color managed workflow almost 20 years ago. That is as important for b&w as it is for color.

If you have a calibrated monitor and I do as well, you can be assured we are seeing the same thing on our screens. And everybody else with a calibrated monitor as well. Plus, if you replace your monitor and simply calibrate the new one, it will render the same as your old one. And, if you have good printer profiles, your printed output will match your screen as much as possible from differing types of light sources. You will find that need to make test prints like you once did in the wet darkroom has become history.
I just need to get my analog brain into the digital age to get all of this right. Back to the classroom!

Better/different version of Peyton than the one I posted a couple of weeks ago. Think I prefer his expression in this one, plus I think the framing is much better than the first version of this scene I posted. Plus it's brighter.

Interesting the things you learn by revisiting your photos -- just goes to show that they're never really 'done', at least they aren't to me.

Peyton3
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Interesting the things you learn by revisiting your photos -- just goes to show that they're never really 'done', at least they aren't to me.

Peyton3 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Good to hear that I'm not the only one that can never arrive at a "final" version of a shot. In that sense it's always interesting to have a fresh look at old material, because you can look at it in a more analytical way based on gained experience.

Thanks for the comment Kai -- I tell ya, like 2 minutes after I've saved what I thought is 'the' one, I'm second-guessing myself and going back in to tweak some more. I'll even look at shots from this project that I did 7-8 years ago and am looking at them in a new/different light.

A brighter/better version of this shot, but I'm sure I'll be doubting myself about it at some point.

Jim and Jose Checking for Bugs
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good to hear that I'm not the only one that can never arrive at a "final" version of a shot. In that sense it's always interesting to have a fresh look at old material, because you can look at it in a more analytical way based on gained experience.

Thanks for the comment Kai -- I tell ya, like 2 minutes after I've saved what I thought is 'the' one, I'm second-guessing myself and going back in to tweak some more. I'll even look at shots from this project that I did 7-8 years ago and am looking at them in a new/different light.

A frequent problem for me. Every time I see one of my older photos I want to redo it. Apparently I never get to a final photo.

A brighter/better version of this shot, but I'm sure I'll be doubting myself about it at some point.

Jim and Jose Checking for Bugs by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Earlier I used to like my shots quite dark, but I've come to appreciate seeing details in shadows and seeing the light shining out of the picture. This shot is a really good example, the shimmering light from the clouds are just gorgeous!

Beautiful. It looks like it could be from William Gedney’s series shot in rural Kentucky (that’s a massive thumbs up from me).

Your early monochrome conversions from the Z7 were noticeably problematic in the highlights to my eyes compared to your shots with the Monochrom. But you obviously have sorted that out. This is just great.

Beautiful. It looks like it could be from William Gedney’s series shot in rural Kentucky (that’s a massive thumbs up from me).

Your early monochrome conversions from the Z7 were noticeably problematic in the highlights to my eyes compared to your shots with the Monochrom. But you obviously have sorted that out. This is just great.
Many thanks for the kind words -- I'll have to check out William Gedney's work! And really, if you guys see things that aren't looking quite right in these photos (or even if just the shots themselves aren't working), please do let me know.

Slowly but surely I'm sorting things out, though here again I'm always questioning every step I take. Sometimes I do wonder if this 'project' is worth doing and if I'm saying anything different than what's been done a hundred times before. Dunno.

Two new versions of shots I posted while on the road, plus one new one of Shelly. With the Mount Dora shot, it's really just another interpretation (not sure if it's better). With the one of Jo Beth, you can now actually see the background.

Somewhere Near Mount Dora3 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Jo Beth3 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Shelly2023-2 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Back