Visoflex on M9

Ronald M

Mentor
Local time
5:05 AM
Since there will be no R10, I can reserect the visos and lenses I have and use the M9.

A R10 with APO lenses woould obviously be a better solution, but how would viso lenses fare on the M9 considering there is no AA filter over the sensor.

I have used viso lenses on Nikon digital full frame and was not really impressed over the Nikon lenses, but there is the softening filter over the sensor that screws things up.

Maybe a Canon with R glass is better option. I have only the 100 APO, the rest being older R glass.

Or should I just use the Nikon Ai lens collection?

I have used R glass, 280 and 90 2.8 (second version) with Leitax adapter on my D700 Nikon and results were outstanding.

Does this come down to APO glass through an AA filter trump older viso glass without an AA filter which would be the case on the M9 ?

Any thoughts from those who went this way?

Viso lenses focus to infinity. The proper mount is implied.

Dear Ronald,

Sorry. I was not sure from the way you phrased your original post. I apologize for the misunderstanding, but if you read it again, you may see how I managed to misread it. Or not. It's late and I'm just off to bed...

Cheers,

R.

I have the Visoflex I and III. I just got the viso III.

I can focus to infinity on the III, of course, not on the I with my 135 Elmar and 90. The image quality with the 135 Elmar is excellent. The exposure is right on and for macro work, correct work, it is no more difficult than using my 5D, 5DII or 7D. I have the Canon 60, 100L and 180L and have done quite a bit of macro work for pleasure and work. The Leica stacks up well and in some ways I prefer it to even my extensive Canon system and lighting.

I find the quality of parts when comparing the Visoflex I system to the III that the I is of nicer quality but they both work.

I have done portrait work with the M9 and Viso III with the 135 or 90 Elmar and the results are excellent. You can get into the Visoflex and bellows for very cheap, which makes it all the more fun.

My half-cocked response is that using a Visoflex on an M9 falls into the "why bother?" category. :)

Well, I might not have taken this shot, for instance. I use the Visoflex III regularly and it is a handy accessory.
M9, Visoflex, Tele-Elmar 135 head on bellows:

spring_809471.jpg

That's stunning, mesmerising, Jaap...

Which Visoflex are you using (and do you see much diiference between them in terms of IQ?

Well, for one thing it is the only one that will fit the camera... (or the Visoflex2 with the Viso III prism/straight viewer) And I like the quick-return mirror.

OK

Thanks, Jaap - I think this is one I really need to check out.

However absurd it seems a priori, your pictures suggest, once again, whole areas of working where the M8 can truly exceed all rational expectation!!

I have all the viso lenses and special mounts, bellows, and head mounting rings for the bellows. 25 years ago they were hard to find, to day very difficult. Have viso 1,11, 11a, and two viso 3 copies one of which was the reps sample when they were last offered for sale. Hence my interest.

But still nobody can tell me if viso lenses without a AA filter over the sensor trumps APO lenses on a Nikon or canon with AA filter. I supose I just need to wait for a Leica day and give it a try. Do theystill have Leica days.

And nobody will be able to tell you, ever. Lens performance, once you have a basic sharpness, is largely a matter of personal prefence. For instance the Telyt-V lenses may not have the resolution of later Apo glass, but the color and OOF rendering are much preferable imo. Otoh, the Tele-Elmar 135 will, on the M9, beat anything out there in all respects, except for the 135 apotelyt M, which has no detachable lens head.

Last edited:
Well, for one thing it is the only one that will fit the camera... (or the Visoflex2 with the Viso III prism/straight viewer) And I like the quick-return mirror.

nope, VISO I does also match, I have one in M-mount.

IMHO it becomes more difficult if you want to use the whole Visoflex M-setup with R-lenses (I only saw one pricy adapter on Ebay to fit these lenses on M-mount cameras).

Last edited:
With the 45 degrees finder, I suppose? (I know, this is the LTM version, but the finders are the same. There is a straight finder as well here.)

Attachments

• Viso_1.jpg
    Viso_1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
Wow Jaap! That certainly exceeds rational expectation! And hand-held, too. Wow!!

The main problem is the impossibility of mounting a flash. I am still looking for a flash extension cord with a very flat sync shoe.

Back