Voigtländer Ultron 21mm f/1.8

Great news, bit pricey at 1,149 euro but comparing to Leica prices still a bargain. Hoepfully the perfomance is good...

The people who will get excited about this will be the RD-1 and M8 owners ... finally a fast wide that even with the crop factor of the two mentioned cameras offers new life to these digital antiques! :D

The people who will get excited about this will be the RD-1 and M8 owners ... finally a fast wide that even with the crop factor of the two mentioned cameras offers new life to these digital antiques! :D

It‘s too big to block the VF of RD1?

It‘s too big to block the VF of RD1?

Checking the dimensions it doesn't seem that big ... certainly no bigger than my 35mm 1.2 and that's OK on the RD-1. It does intrude into the viewfinder a little but I haven't found it to be a problem.

First new CV announcement that I'm seriously interested in, for a while. Great news!

This is totally awesome for those of us who want a cheaper alternative to the Summilux. Can't wait to see some images.

Stop it Keith... I'm suffering more R-D1 nostalgia...
Yeah, trust Keith to get the R-D1 juices flowing again. ;) Cease and desist, pretty, pretty please?!

But a fast 21 would be nice on a regular M too. I use the 1.9 28mm Ultron on my M4-2 more or less 90% of the time, and could go wider.

Who said is was a bad time for the RF camera user.....

I hope this lens is an absolute pearler and proves that you don't have to be fleeced to the tune of five grand or so for a decent optic!

You'd think with all the excellent lenses from Zeiss and Voigtlander, it would keep prices low on Leica's glass...guess not!

But seriously, this could be a nice lens. However, if it's as big as it looks then I'm not really interested. The 35/1.2 was far too large for an RF IMO; it takes away the small, discrete nature of the RF, which for me is its raison d'etre!

It may be smaller than the 35mm 1.2 but its since I hven't handled once I compared it against the Canon 50mm 1.4 ltm (which strikes me as a larger lens while handling it).

VC 21mm 1.8
Diameter 69.0 mm
78.4 mm (with hood)

Canon 50mm 1.4
Diameter of ~55mm (lens)
Diameter of ~62mm (hood)
Length of 70mm (with hood)

The VC is a beast of a lens. :)

Back