Voigtlander Bessa II Variations : Please help

ravenxarmy

Established
Local time
2:12 AM
I have an early Bessa II (1948 model) with one square and one round window, like this one:

s-l1600.jpg

I was wondering if the later models with two square windows like this one:

i-img800x537-1636334746b04nkp43.jpg

have better, brighter viewfinder (by comparison). Also how much better is the post 1951 Synchro-Compur? I'm thinking of trying out a few different Bessas. Especially the Skopar as I've only ever used the Heliar.
And another question. From 1954 on there was a cold shoe on the top plate.

I found Apo Lanthars and Color Heliars with the shoe:

2111040149838-02.jpgvoigtlander-bessa-ii-apo-lanthar-3602957_10_1.jpg

But I've never seen a Skopar. Did they make Skopars with the cold shoe? I'd love to track one down.

I own such a camera, but whether it came from the factory that way, I don’t know.

You can tell if it's a factory installed shoe by the logos placement. In a stock installation the shoe will be on the left and logos are moved to the centre right.
In a user installation the shoe usually covers up the the logos as they are placed across the entire surface of the top plate
Like here:

s-l500.jpg

I had a Bessa II with the Color Skopar lens (which is a Tessar type). I really liked the transparencies produced by this camera and lens.

Mine had the two square windows, though it was still a very squinty viewfinder.

Mine had an accessory shoe that was clearly and add-on.

I don't recall which shutter I had.

It was a nice camera. I sold it because it was so hard to use with glasses. Since cataract surgery, I could probably use it without glasses. I sure wish I had it now.

- Murray

You can tell if it's a factory installed shoe by the logos placement. In a stock installation the shoe will be on the left and logos are moved to the centre right.
In a user installation the shoe usually covers up the the logos as they are placed across the entire surface of the top plate
Like here:

View attachment 4819426
I had one like this. The cold shoe is a separate "snap on" shoe made by Bessa. I doubt the VF is any better between the square and round windows - the view was typical for many cameras made in this time frame. I used a Leica 50mm VF in the cold shoe. Both 35mm and 6x9 film sizes have the same ratio of length vs height (1.5) so a 50mm VF perfectly frames the shot.

The viewfinders will be the same more or less. The VF quality depends on internal condition. The Apo Lanthars are rare and usually fetch higher prices, followed by Heliars, then Skopars, considered the low end. Shutters are are not to be trusted regardless of how they sound or price. I find that the Rapid and synchro shutters are usually slow at 1/400 and 1/500, and likely also slow at 1/250, unless they have been competently overhauled. I wouldn't touch one unless the source was reputable. Bellows same, not to be trusted unless source is reputable.

Back