Voigtlander Heliar Classic 50mm f1.5

Thank you, Pan, yes, until now, I've only used the lens wide open, f1.5. Is that Zuiko a Heliar too? With this lens, I do not care for sharpness, I'm only interested in the composition. The pictures are a bit impressionistic, like a painting.

Erik.

Is that Zuiko a Heliar too?
Erik.

Good question, i am not good at figuring this out. Here is how its cross-section looks like (old silvernose version)

50mmf14optic.jpg

And here is a portrait at 1.4 (on an old Canon EOS-10D)

66646646_10157106644820772_5231768395619237888_n.jpg

I’m not seeing this lens advertised on the Cameraquest website. I wonder how the Heliar 50/1.5 compares to the new Voigtlander Nokten 50mm f1.5 II Vintage lens.

Good question, i am not good at figuring this out.

Yes, I remember that wonderful picture! I think that your Zuiko is a Gauss derivative. A Heliar is like a Hektor. This Heliar is like a Hektor 73mm f/1.9, a Leica lens from the 1930's. Only 6 elements. The Hektor 50mm f/2.5 is a Heliar too.

Erik.

I’m not seeing this lens advertised on the Cameraquest website. I wonder how the Heliar 50/1.5 compares to the new Voigtlander Nokten 50mm f1.5 II Vintage lens.

It is completely different, a beautiful lens, buy it before it's gone; watch this:

Voigt%2050mm%20F1.5%20VM%2010.png

NEW VOIGTLANDER
Voigtlander HELIAR Classic 50mm F1.5 VM
$849 SHIPPING
a future collector's item
the only M soft focus lens in current production

???

https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtla...ar-classic-vm/

the only SOFT FOCUS 50mm M lens in current production?
Outstanding for Fashion, Glamour, Weddings, Nudes, Noir, Vintage

(it appears to be the only Soft Focus 50mm M lens ever SFAIK)

The HELIAR F1.5 is a special lens designed by Mr. Kobayashi's optical design team to produce images like no other lens.

To me the Classic Heliar is a classic Soft Focus lens, great for vintage image recreations, glamour, weddings, B/W Noir, unsual takes on reality. Add to that unusual out of focus bokeh.

Wide open the Voigtlander Heliar F1.5 uses coma and spherical abberation to provide a unique classic image signature that is impossible to achieve with modern highly corrected lenses. The lens is sharp around F/4. Personally my favorite aperture for most pics is F2. The F1.5 Heliar's single lens coating instead of multi lens coating also makes possible classic Hollywood movie flare with back lighting or strong side lighting.

I've seen the message of Bingley too. The lens is very nice @ f1.5 - sharp and contrasty enough in the center - and has then the effect of shooting with an old, but coated, lens. Maybe a lens for Junku Nishimura.

Erik.

This lens is interesting. On the fredmiranda test shots I really don’t like it. On here, printed in a darkroom I really like it. Could this lens be a single 50 solution for travel? I’m considering selling my modern sonnar and picking it up.

This lens is interesting. On the fredmiranda test shots I really don’t like it. On here, printed in a darkroom I really like it. Could this lens be a single 50 solution for travel? I’m considering selling my modern sonnar and picking it up.

Sure, why not. All my shots are at full aperture. Stopping down "improves" the image, but then you'll loose something of the typical soft focus character. My pictures are all printed on gelatin silver paper, that gives a different effect than only the scan of the negative. My prints are all split grade prints.

Erik.

I am curious what is meant by "soft focus" in practical use. Does it mean out of focus? Focus shift? Something else. Thanks.

"Soft focus" is IMO not the right word. The sharpness at f1.5 is good, but the contrast is very low. There is not much dept of field, but that is normal with a f1.5 lens at full aperture. I prefer to say that the image is not as "corrected" as modern lenses, it is not optimized. In fact it is a lens from the 1930's made with single coated glass. No aspherics, only spherical cut glass. Therefore the lens has an old fashioned character.

Erik.

???

https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtla...ar-classic-vm/

the only SOFT FOCUS 50mm M lens in current production?
Outstanding for Fashion, Glamour, Weddings, Nudes, Noir, Vintage

(it appears to be the only Soft Focus 50mm M lens ever SFAIK)

The HELIAR F1.5 is a special lens designed by Mr. Kobayashi's optical design team to produce images like no other lens.

To me the Classic Heliar is a classic Soft Focus lens, great for vintage image recreations, glamour, weddings, B/W Noir, unsual takes on reality. Add to that unusual out of focus bokeh.

Wide open the Voigtlander Heliar F1.5 uses coma and spherical abberation to provide a unique classic image signature that is impossible to achieve with modern highly corrected lenses. The lens is sharp around F/4. Personally my favorite aperture for most pics is F2. The F1.5 Heliar's single lens coating instead of multi lens coating also makes possible classic Hollywood movie flare with back lighting or strong side lighting.

Stephen,

This lens description does not appear in the Camerquest website’s Leica M Mount Lens Info Page. This page lists other Voigtlander Heliar lenses, but not the the 50/1.5. Were it not for Erik Van S’s thread, I would never have known about this lens.

Erik,

Thanks to your pics, I’ve ordered the lens. I really don’t “need” another 50mm lens, but this lens seems very distinctive and attractive. I like the lower contrast look a lot. As Ccoppola82 says (above), this could be a great lens for travel…

Erik,

Thanks to your pics, I’ve ordered the lens. I really don’t “need” another 50mm lens, but this lens seems very distinctive and attractive. I like the lower contrast look a lot. As Ccoppola82 says (above), this could be a great lens for travel…

Yes, it is a great lens with an unusual rendering, very nice in use, black paint, alas no LTM, but big fun. I think it will please you, also in color. All my shots with it so far are at full aperture.

Erik.

Back