Weekend Photography Plans: What are you up to?

Three weekends ago my wife and I flew to Wakkanai in Hokkaido, Japan. Cape Soya is in Wakkanai, it's the Northernmost point in Japan. One of the reasons that we went there was to visit the KAL-007 memorial.

This is the KAL-007 Memorial​
This commemorates the shooting down of the Korean Airlines flight 007 on 1 September 1983. It happened north of Moneron Island west of Sakhalin Island but this is the closest point to there, outside of Russia.

DSCF0503.JPG

X100V​

One of the biggest reasons that I wanted to see this memorial is because I was stationed on the USS Conserver ARS-39 at the time when the KAL-007 was shot down and the USS Conserver was part of the search effort to find the downed KAL-007. It was a long time ago but my memories of that mission are still fresh in my mind.

My wife and I paid our respects to the crew and passengers of KAL-007 at the memorial. This was a trip well worth the time and money.

All the best,
Mike

Last edited:
I am going to try and get used to editing photos with the Wacom Intuos tablet and pen I just acquired. Let's see if what many say is true and they you will 'never go back' to using a mouse.

Now that I can no longer work because of a stroke I have to take things day by day. Except for rain the weather is supposed to be pretty good. I want to load up the Nicca with b&w film & go to nearby Bethabara. It’s an older town & hope to go during Christmas. Add to my Christmas in B&W thread.

I have a bit of setting up to do & go through my b&w chemicals to see what might still be good. I’ve been away for too long.

Now that I can no longer work because of a stroke I have to take things day by day. Except for rain the weather is supposed to be pretty good. I want to load up the Nicca with b&w film & go to nearby Bethabara. It’s an older town & hope to go during Christmas. Add to my Christmas in B&W thread.

I have a bit of setting up to do & go through my b&w chemicals to see what might still be good. I’ve been away for too long.

Your plans and your project sound like a tonic. I, indeed we, hope to see some images you have gathered from your trip. That along with reports of your recovering from your stroke. All the best.

A few years ago I thought I was having a stroke. I went to the emergency room and after an MRI it was confirmed that it was "not" a stroke. Somehow my equilibrium got messed up causing me to be dizzy and unable to properly walk. Within days things returned to normal.

I remember my mixed emotions (mostly I was scared) on the way to the ER, thinking that this is it, this is the end. Then the great feeling of relief when they said that I'd be fine.

Anyway, GB, I wish you the best and good luck. Enjoy your weekend!

All the best,
Mike

I just developed a roll of HP5+, shot at 1200, in DD-X. Once it’s dry I’ll make a digital contact sheet and spend some time this weekend seeing what I got. I love that part of the process.

John

Easter weekend will be different for us because we are starting a process of renovation of our apartment next week...no much time for celebration, not much time for photography. But perhaps a walk in the neighborhood with the M10 just top keep eyes and hands ready to shoot will be possible...

Last edited:
This weekend: Building a solar eclipse viewer.

I built one the last time around, but didn't save it. This style viewer is fun to stand around as a group, watching the sun projected as a small circle.

This weekend: Building a solar eclipse viewer.

I built one the last time around, but didn't save it. This style viewer is fun to stand around as a group, watching the sun projected as a small circle.

When I was a kid (back in the dark ages when dirt was first being formed), Dad would take a long roll tube (cardboard like you'd use to form a post hole form for cement) and put aluminum foil over one end with a pin hole in it. We'd stand that up and aim it at the sun and see the projection on the sidewalk. No lenses needed.

Back