What do you think is the best used camera today/price-performance wize?

My first AF camera. I think I still have a couple of sticky, gooey ones in the attic. Really great cameras and I should look for those I have and see if they still work.

Some of those singe and dual number EOS series suffers from leaky shutter bumper. Gunky substance on shutter blades. Removable by thick paper, but bit scary procedure. Also those series batteries are pricy and not easy to find. Rebel series have rechargeable batteries made now and I never had AF missed on my EOS 300. Except one frame with 50L WO.

My first AF camera. I think I still have a couple of sticky, gooey ones in the attic.
I used mine during the mid-90s when I was working in the Great Lakes Region of Africa and I liked it a lot. I took my -non-sticky, EOS 5 with me to Vietnam and hope to shoot some APX400 with it. I'm curious how it'll perform after so many years. Cheers, OtL

I don't remember what I paid for a couple I bought a few months ago but I do remember that there are many suppliers on amazon.ca and I received mine in less than 24 hours. Cheers, OtL
2CR5 batteries cost less than a roll of color film and they are available in grocery stores and drug stores around here.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

2CR5 batteries cost less than a roll of color film and they are available in grocery stores and drug stores around here.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I'm envious -- you can't find those here except in my local camera store. CR2s, 123s, 28Ls, yes, but the 2CR5 seems to have gone the way of alkaline 625s.

I don't remember what I paid for a couple I bought a few months ago but I do remember that there are many suppliers on amazon.ca and I received mine in less than 24 hours. Cheers, OtL

Looks like situation has improved. 10-16 CAD per battery on Amazon and I even spotted one re-chargeable.

I am not aware of the EOS 5 suffering from sticky bumpers. All EOS cameras up to the EOS100 have issues with it and I've heard about the eos50 too but a few that I have handled did not show any signs of it. I think 1992-1993 was the cut off point with putting these bumpers in EOS.

IMG_20230420_190845_(434_x_650_pixel).jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I've obviously got some knowledgeable folks here. I've always been curious about the C/Y cameras and lenses. If I wanted a basic body and lens (I prefer 50s but am not adverse to a decent 35) for as low a cost as possible while still being as feature-full as possible :) what would your recommendations be?
A few notes about the Contax ST (courtesy of Graham Buxton-Smither on fb)

-- higher top speed (1/6000s, an extra half-stop which might come in handy when shooting the f/1.2 lenses wide-open)
-- ceramic plate for optimum film flatness and smooth operation, essentially the same as found on the RTS III but without the vacuum
-- uses common AAA batteries (or AA with the optional P-7 Battery Holder) instead of the 2CR5 of the RX
-- can take the D-7 Data Back which offers a much wider variety of print and data options as well as a highly sophisticated intervalometer

My first AF camera. I think I still have a couple of sticky, gooey ones in the attic. Really great cameras and I should look for those I have and see if they still work.
Dear Dogman,

If you find them try some cheap alcohol-based hand sanitizer gel, an old toothbrush, and cut up sections of white T-shirt. I had a Fujifilm HS50, Canon Elan, and Nikon N80 that were almost superglued to my hand when I used them. If our dog walked by and shook dog hair immediately got plastered to each camera right out of the air.

I patiently cleaned and scrubbed with the toothbrush and sanitizer gel, wiping carefully after each application and 6 months later they are working perfectly and easy to handle.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Dear Board,

I don't know if links are allowed here but I will try. If you need 2CR5 batteries they are $ 5.25 a piece at Battery Junction for Panasonics.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

With any Contax, you have to check for its famous mirror slip -- which is due to the system where C/Y cameras had their mirrors glued into place and the glues are failing. I am convinced that pretty much all Contaxes (and Yashicas) will develop this problem and will need to get fixed at some point.

With any Contax, you have to check for its famous mirror slip -- which is due to the system where C/Y cameras had their mirrors glued into place and the glues are failing. I am convinced that pretty much all Contaxes (and Yashicas) will develop this problem and will need to get fixed at some point.
Definitely not the Rts, Rts II, 167 and Aria.

I've noted it in a few of the things I've been reading since you all have gotten me curious about the Contaxen SLRs. Seems easier to deal with than the issues in old Canon FD cameras so I won't get too worried by it.

(I'm leaning towards budgeting in a RX and a Yashica 50/1.4 to start unless I find a cheap Aria ;) )

I have both and had the batteries rebuilt for a reasonable sum (less than $100). It’s another great device but adds considerable weight to the camera. The R8 I have came with it.
Very good to have it and the R8. Glad you found it .

Dear Dogman,

If you find them try some cheap alcohol-based hand sanitizer gel, an old toothbrush, and cut up sections of white T-shirt. I had a Fujifilm HS50, Canon Elan, and Nikon N80 that were almost superglued to my hand when I used them. If our dog walked by and shook dog hair immediately got plastered to each camera right out of the air.

I patiently cleaned and scrubbed with the toothbrush and sanitizer gel, wiping carefully after each application and 6 months later they are working perfectly and easy to handle.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

My Bessa R has been the stickiest of any other. I asked the Great Bartender about it and he responded "use gaffer tape". My F100 was also darned sticky...but not the N80. The Back door of my F100 had a problems with the focus button. Tried fixing and screwed it up more. The backs are very expensive on eBay. I got a data back from KEH for 27$. Turned of the data imprint because it imprints within the frame.

I’ve heard that isopropyl alcohol also works to remove stickiness.
The gel works better because you can apply it and let it work on the stickiness without it evaporating. It's much easier to use than pure liquid. Just allow it to dissolve the black gunk for a few minutes before you start to wipe it away. Wear old clothes and maybe even rubber gloves though. The black stuff can get everywhere if you aren't careful.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA

Back