What is Lee Friedlander Using In These Pictures?

I'm not sure what the 'stick flash' is for; maybe hair highlights or background fill. Ring flash is a great portrait tool, but you have to be careful of background shadows and circle flash highlights in the eyes, so the subject can't be near a wall or looking straight at the lens. Also, I think that his lens is very wide and if you have the ring flash attached to the filter screws it will vignette (badly) so he must have been able to attach it further back on the lens barrel.

I can't use my ring flashes on even a 35mm (focal length) lens FF with a 35mm camera.

I'm not sure what the 'stick flash' is for; maybe hair highlights or background fill. Ring flash is a great portrait tool, but you have to be careful of background shadows and circle flash highlights in the eyes, so the subject can't be near a wall or looking straight at the lens. Also, I think that his lens is very wide and if you have the ring flash attached to the filter screws it will vignette (badly) so he must have been able to attach it further back on the lens barrel.

I can't use my ring flashes on even a 35mm (focal length) lens FF with a 35mm camera.

I mean the SWC hood and that flash look like they're around the same profile. And obviously the native lens hood doesn't make the lens vignette. It looks like it's right there on the front screwed in like a filter. I found out it was an old special hasselblad ring light flash so maybe it's optimized so wide angles can use it? Idk. I've never owned one so I'm just guessing

Also, there seems to be a viewfinder on the top of his 'blad. In one of the shots you can see what looks like an eyecup on the back, though he is looking over the top of it.

One of the few masters of the mobile one-man multiple flash setup. I've seen folks use a second flash, but carried by a second person. Wondering how he control the output/balance of the two flashes. I've never been a lover of ring flashes, but then I've never even tried two flashes on one camera. I'm an off-camera-flash-aholic myself, I prefer the control. In what I suspect is a very busy, overly filled with people environment he photographed in it's a true genius solution he designed and mastered.

Very cool stuff. THANK YOU OP for the posts!

B2 (;->

Also, there seems to be a viewfinder on the top of his 'blad. In one of the shots you can see what looks like an eyecup on the back, though he is looking over the top of it.

One of the few masters of the mobile one-man multiple flash setup. I've seen folks use a second flash, but carried by a second person. Wondering how he control the output/balance of the two flashes. I've never been a lover of ring flashes, but then I've never even tried two flashes on one camera. I'm an off-camera-flash-aholic myself, I prefer the control. In what I suspect is a very busy, overly filled with people environment he photographed in it's a true genius solution he designed and mastered.

Very cool stuff. THANK YOU OP for the posts!

B2 (;->

Yep, I imagine he barely needs the viewfinder because he'd used the camera extensively since 1990. It's inside what looks like a custom built flash bracket too. That's my biggest question, how did he build this kit for himself? He must have tested it extensively. And you're very welcome. It's rare that a legendary hermit like Friedlander is spotted doing what he does best, so I thought I'd share with a crowd that'd appreciate it most. :)

One of the reasons for the flash being raised so high is to reduce shadows.

As for who built the rig, Friedlander's son-in-law is Thomas Roma. Roma is a photographer who is known for building cameras and other photo gear. I have no direct knowledge but Lee's setup could have been a collaboration. I do recall in the book "Dressing Up", Lee said he was fascinated by the home built lighting rigs used by the other photographers backstage at the event.

Back