What printer to buy?

tkluck

Well-known
Local time
8:34 AM
My printer is crapping out. Even my wife is unhappy with it! Lord knows I'm tired of fighting with a Canon BJC-3010 and other "salvage" printers. Bought a good scanner (at least I'm happy with it...for now) and now I need to work on the other end of the workflow (love them buzzwords).

I want a printer that will produce good B&W prints. Don't realy need or want bigger than letter size, or to spend a small foutune. I wanna make nice prints.

Did a search, inconclucive. Read reviews, gave me a headache. :bang:

So I'm gonna just flat out ask for help: help.

Using an Epson R210 with a CISS ink supply. Not quite yet bromide or RA-4 in quality, but worlds better than the 4-colour desktop office-type inkjet printers I've used. The R210 has already been discontinued, but the model which replaced it should be even better.

The B&W output from Canon's IP4000 (probably now superseded) has been pleasantly surprising. For some reason, I've never gotten along with E-brand printers.
Is there a decent shop near you that will test print one of your favorite scans so you can see the output? The place I bought mine (Pro Photo in Portland, Ore.) had a fat binder full of prints from different printers on different papers. I probably spent a couple hours with that before I bought.
The speed and individual cartridges are just sort of bonuses.

Last edited:
Joe Brugger said:
The B&W output from Canon's IP4000 (probably now superseded) has been pleasantly surprising. For some reason, I've never gotten along with E-brand printers.
Is there a decent shop near you that will test print one of your favorite scans so you can see the output? The place I bought mine (Pro Photo in Portland, Ore.) had a fat binder full of prints from different printers on different papers. I probably spent a couple hours with that before I bought.
The speed and individual cartridges are just sort of bonuses.

I can atest to the great performance of the Canon Pixma printers. Not sure about the ink longevity, but the prints are very nice. I get better 8x10s from the Canon than I've seen come from most other high level consumer printers on the market.

http://www.shutterflower.com/pixma.htm

Canon over Epson or HP by a slim margin, IMHO. In my mind, it would be by a wider margin IF the Canon printers could handle a heavier paper.

The quality of Canon images coupled with the speed with which they work are superior.

Longivity of the image? Hey, after 25 years...

One more vote for cheap Epson r200/210/220 printers with MISS [inksupply.com] inks. Using Epson inks is only for the very very rich. Maciek

Thanks!

Epson R220 seems to lead the pack for me by a slim margin, mostly free shipping.

Need to meditate further...
(insert thumb, assume fetal position)

Back