Votes: 97 8.6%
  • Olympus

Votes: 66 5.9%
  • Contax

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • Another - too many to list all so please tell us

Votes: 392 34.8%

• Total voters
A Minolta Maxxum STsi (or, Dynax 404si if you were outside of the Americas in the early 2000s).

It was the first camera that was 100% mine-all-mine. I sold it 5 or 6 years later to a co-worker. I should drop her a line to see if it's still around..

I sometimes wonder if learning on that particular camera has affected my shooting style in ways I don't even realize. One carry-over that I am almost positive I can pinpoint: The Minolta had a handy spot meter that could be activated by pressing a dedicated button next to the eyepiece with your thumb. I remember I used it all the time, especially shooting concerts. To this day, I still feel most comfortable with a spot.

That looks exactly like my first camera, except that it had a different plate/label on the front. Mine was purchased with breakfast cereal box tops and a dollar!

- Murray

They apparently made several varieties, just changing the front plate. The website shows a Girl Scout camera, and a few more.

my first official "i wanna shoot professionally" camera was a Canon rebel something from Sears. I think it was 1997-1998. I returned it after 2 weeks since it sucked at taking pictures. You know because i wanted great images on a kit lens using iso 100 speed film at night. haha... serious, i blamed the camera. I returned it and bought a subscription to American Photo and Popular Photography. I taught myself the basics and read a lot of books and magazines to start. Plus the interwebs..

My next camera was an OM-1 which was nice, but then i got a good deal for a Nikon FM. And from there it continued.

When I was in the 5th grade my brother gave me his 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 press camera when he got a 35mm Beauty Canter, and for about a year I shot with that. The man who owned the local studio developed the film for me and I printed on proof paper, keeping my prints in a film box. Then a year later he gave me the Canter and got himself a Miranda. At that point he let me start using his darkroom. For the next few years I used a variety of borrowed small press and roll film cameras until I bought a Nikkormat in my senior year. . . Which was quickly replaced by a Leica IIIf. My longest-owned camera is a Graflex Super D the studio owner gave me around 1974, after I had turned into a real photographer for a living.

Some of those original shots are in my Flickr pix.

Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. Bakelite!
I don't have it anymore.

When I was little, maybe 8 or 9, my parents gave my older sister and me a matching pair of Hawkeye cameras. As this was the 70s, they were already old and I have no idea where they came from. A neighbor, maybe? I remember the quality of the photos being terrible, but that could just as easily been the fault of an eight-year-old photographer as it could the camera!

At 11 or so, my grandfather bought me a cheap Imperial Magimatic Auto 318; a little 110 point & shoot that I used through my teens. That one is still with me.

I still have my first camera, which as some Kodak 110 with a brown cover. Whatever model it is, there are spots where one can paste stickers with one's initials. I remember using it with flashcubes and taking a few rolls of film with it. I also remember being incredibly disappointed with the results, save for a few images. The photos were nothing like the ones I'd seen in National Geographic. Now I know better, and would probably be able to get the most out of the camera. But back then, it was a terribly discouraging experience. In fact, it soured me on photography so much that it was only 10 years ago (about 20 years after using the camera) that I got into photography. I'd always wanted to take good pictures, but until digital made it so much easier to see how what I did with the camera affected the image, I just didn't bother with cameras.

Kodak Ektralite 10 when I was perhaps 11. A couple of years later, when I was desperate to make photography a serious hobby a Minolta X-700.

The first camera I *bought* myself -- also the first camera I used to take pictures that I'm still happy with today, came about two years after that and was a Mamiya C3 TLR. I still have it in storage somewhere, though I replaced it with a Rolleiflex 2.8e that I used almost exclusively (once I got a real job and had money I bought an M3 and used it as well, though never as much as the Rolleiflex) until the Leica M8 was introduced.

First Cameras

First Cameras

Kodak Instamatic, as a kid. Followed by a Minolta Hi-Matic 7S and, later, a Mamiya-Sekor MSX-1000.

I could not afford a Kodak Instamatic 126, so I had a Korean model called a Kamero. Took lots of 126 slides with it. It was a nice little camera until the shutter speed went wonky. =)

Canon AE-1, circa 1978.
Traded it in on the A-1 in 1980.
Decades later, added another AE-1 to my collection.
Now have an extensive collection of <serviced> Canon AE-1, AE-1P, F1n, F1N, FTb, EF, A-1's and many of the FD lenses and accessories.
Yes. . . they all do get put into service from time to time.

Last edited:
First camera of any kind goes back to high school in the mid- 70's, when I'd venture a guess most kids my age were totting something similar to the Kodak 110 pocket camera I was using. I remember one kid in the marching band with me on a trip to Colorado hauling a camera with a bag full of Sylvania Press-25 Blue Dot flash bulbs, LOL...

My first REAL camera, was a Ricoh KR-5 SLR.

My first camera was an all-plastic Agfa without any lightmeter or so, fully mechanical, in 1976.
I voted wrongly, because it is lost since decades and replaced by Leicas... But I still think of it and of how easy taking pictures was in these old days.

Canon film camera, the Rebel X ... I’ve heard it quoted as the best selling camera of all time, not just for Canon, but all time, but maybe they were ncluding the Digital Rebel sales.

Back