What/where you shouldn't photograph

Women and around homes in Afghanistan. You could be on top of a mountain photographing towards the houses 200m below with a wide angle point and shoot and you are in danger of being accused of peeping on 'their women.' Its ridiculous, but ignore it at your peril. They regularly kill each other over such things so it really is not worth it! Funnily enough, you even have to be very careful photographing women in Burkhas, so much so that I dont bother (ignoring the fact that I am more than tired of shots of women in burkhas...). Have a look at the below and imagine how they might react if they thought your were sneaking shots of some suggestive ankle...

On 23 September, Faryab Province, Maymana City, Afghan Kot and Deh Sedyan Villages, approximately 1400 hrs, a scuffle broke out between two tribes over teasing of girls that led to stabbing and subsequent deaths of two locals and injuring of twelve others. Negotiations at the level of Provincial Governor failed to resolve the issue. On 24 September at about 1000 hours, approximately 1000 people staged a demonstration in front of the Governor’s Office and Deputy Governor’s Residence demanding handing over of the individuals involved in the killing and other senior Government Officials. The security guards at Deputy Governor’s residence opened fire on the protesters that injured three people. Eight more people were injured in separate shooting incidents in Afghan Kot Village, taking the total to 23 injured in two days of violence. The protest thereafter spread to wider area and some shops were looted. Afghan Army has deployed 100 commandos to Maymana to calm down the situation.

Last edited:
Having to take the Walker Evens quote out of context, I would say he was completely wrong and photography includes all he apparently despises and much more. Photograph what you like even if nobody else likes it. Photography is not a popularity contest.

Bob

"Photography is not cute cats, nor nudes, motherhood or arrangements of manufactured products. Under no circumstances it is anything ever anywhere near a beach." Walker Evans

Does anyone agree with this? Maybe he forgot to add something...?

Statements like this remind me of the Star Trek Episode with Harry Mudd where Spock has to drive the Androids into overload by making illogical statements. Some people just like to hear themselves talk. Like Little Bird Singing in Tree that Sounds Bad.

I used to go surfing in Carlsbad, S. Calif., where they have a nuclear power plant on the beach. A great subject for industrial photography btw. Would I photograph it? Not unless I wanted to be detained, answer a boat load of questions, have my name handed over to the FBI, and have my Leica confiscated.

common sense, common sense..

Last edited:
Statements like this remind me of the Star Trek Episode with Harry Mudd where Spock has to drive the Androids into overload by making illogical statements. Some people just like to hear themselves talk. Like Little Bird Singing in Tree that Sounds Bad.

Like celebrites, jocks, and movie stars who suddenly know all about geo-politics and world economics. Did I say Tom Cruise?

Grow some grapes, lads. Wrong to shoot pictures in public of kids? Homeless people? Give me a f%$^ing break. Shoot whatever you want and wherever you want. If you offend, you can ask forgiveness, but screw asking for permisiion. Public life is public...warts and all...and this xenophobia that is so pervasive is not help anybody. Shoot your photos and if someone complains, explain that you are a photographer and it is meant for tasteful use.

great cat photo

great cat photo

I would have put the head a bit to the right, and getting the tail in, while retaining the shadow. Good photo. Great art.

I don't photograph people in trouble. There are professions for that, which I admire, but my hobby doesn't include it.

I do photograph my kitty cat no matter she likes it or not.
1481053100_ee2cafbf14.jpg

I do photograph arrangements of manufactured products, mostly cameras and coffee cups.
3324593799_df370c683f.jpg

do you shoot in places where photography is explicitly prohibited? concerts for example?

I didn't shot when I wanted to atop the Mulholland dam off Mulholland Drive in LA because there were prohibitive signs AND surveillance cams all over the place. I had expectations of homeland security goons attacking me.

I didn't shoot when at a Cecil Taylor concert in August in NYC because the venue (The Highline Ballroom) announced it was verboten.

I'm going to see Bobby Bradford with David Murray tonight at Jazz Standard in NYC. I'm sure they'll make the perfuctory announcement of "no photography." Do I take my chances and shoot or do I behave obediently?

I guess you should have just said the truth - that you're a mall perv photog and the photos of her daughter are going up on the internet immediately, unless you didn't have the guts to.

lol. that's what I told my wife I was tempted to tell the woman. of course, do mall pervs usually bring their wives along?

I guess you should have just said the truth - that you're a mall perv photog and the photos of her daughter are going up on the internet immediately, unless you didn't have the guts to.

do you shoot in places where photography is explicitly prohibited? concerts for example?

I didn't shot when I wanted to atop the Mulholland dam off Mulholland Drive in LA because there were prohibitive signs AND surveillance cams all over the place. I had expectations of homeland security goons attacking me.

I didn't shoot when at a Cecil Taylor concert in August in NYC because the venue (The Highline Ballroom) announced it was verboten.

I'm going to see Bobby Bradford with David Murray tonight at Jazz Standard in NYC. I'm sure they'll make the perfuctory announcement of "no photography." Do I take my chances and shoot or do I behave obediently?

I'm a disobedient girl. I photograph at concerts almost always unless my seats aren't close or it is a special concert for dvd recording by the artist and they're very strict with photography issues (taping of Elvis Costello's "Spectacle with the Police" was a no no).

i'm bringing a camera. i'll report back on results, if any, later.

I'm a disobedient girl. I photograph at concerts almost always unless my seats aren't close or it is a special concert for dvd recording by the artist and they're very strict with photography issues (taping of Elvis Costello's "Spectacle with the Police" was a no no).

alexander calder exhibit at the pompidiu in april 2009. photography strictly forbidden. terrible light. shot from the hip more or less directly in front of a museum guard. not much chance to focus. calder's extraordinary circus. a must see. anyway, I bougt the book on the way out.

3977051739_d50daaa5bb.jpg

this calder, same show, is one of his wire sculptures -- also quite amazing. this one is kiki du montparnasse, man ray's main squeeze for many years.

3977052543_3d150a76c3.jpg

Back