What would be your ideal combination of Leica M film body features?

I was wondering when rear loading would specifically be mentioned. šŸ˜‰
Entering the the slippery slope into mediocracy...That's the kind of heresy a thoughtful manager has to keep at bay away during development of a product if he want's the spirit of the amazing idea his team started with to end up in his customers hands. ;)

• Leica MP 0.85 semi-gloss black paint
  • 35/135-50-90 frame lines
  • semi-electronic shutter like the FM3a with aperture priority, but works without batteries
  • Meter-wise, I don't mind the LEDs, though I have never used a needle system
  • Add a self timer (I am one of the few who seem to use it frequently)
  • and a frame line selection lever with the ability to override the automatically selected frame line and have it click in place
The last feature would be useful to avoid the endless combinations of LTM adapters and also make it more convenient to use Contax or Nikon RF lenses with the Amedeo adapter (brings up the 50mm lines no matter what), i.e. to use the 90mm frame lines for the 85mm Sonnar. I would even forego the automatic frame line selection and have the user self select. Shooting a rangefinder requires attention anyway (lens caps off!), so it is not a tough ask for the user to know which frame lines they need for the attached lens.

Nikon SP had the right idea for frameline selection, except they telescoped the frames into each other rather than always showing just a single frame.

Yes, so if you set the 135 frame on the SP, you will see 135, 105, 85, and 50 all at the same time.

The 28/35 viewfinder is separate of course.

I'd like to have:

from the M3
the borders around the rangefinder and viewfinder window (very usefull to avoid fingerprints on the glass)

from the MP
the viewfinder and bright rangefinder
the lightmeter
the film charge system

from the M4
the rewind crank

Did any RF manufacturer ever offer a ā€œzooming viewfinderā€ whereby mounting a lens causes the viewfinder to show just the field of view appropriate to that lens?

It shouldnā€™t be that difficult - the cam on the lens being used to move a carrier containing a small lens or lens group within the viewfinder.

Did any RF manufacturer ever offer a ā€œzooming viewfinderā€ whereby mounting a lens causes the viewfinder to show just the field of view appropriate to that lens?

It shouldnā€™t be that difficult - the cam on the lens being used to move a carrier containing a small lens or lens group within the viewfinder.
the re-invention of the SLR ? ;)

the re-invention of the SLR ? ;)
No, because youā€˜d be looking through the viewfinder rather than the lens and the camera body would still be small, like an M.

I think the X-Pro1 does this in its optical viewfinder when mounting different lenses.

Contax G1/G2.

No, because youā€˜d be looking through the viewfinder rather than the lens and the camera body would still be small, like an M.

I think the X-Pro1 does this in its optical viewfinder when mounting different lenses.
It has two different magnifications that it switches between and then shows the appropriate frame lines within those magnifications using the electronic overlay. What is really fun is when you use the zoom on it and the frame lines zoom in/out along with the lens.

If I was designing a dream custom film M body, it would be:

M7 with titanium top and base plate, magnesium frame
All exterior parts coated in the most hard wearing black DLC
MP style top plate with no logo, no script
MP style film advance lever
M7 winder
Black calfskin leather
Steel shutter button with polished surround
Framelines for 28, 35, 50 and 75
Titanium shutter
Matching black leather half case
Standard nylon M strap
Signet ring style monogram of my initials engraved on the back of the top plate, but no white fill

Bliss.

Heresy perhaps? My dream custom M would be the 2005 Zeiss Ikon "ZI" with the build quality and materials (brass etc.) of an M2.

Tweaks from there would include weather-proofing, Leica designed range finder patch that doesn't disappear and quieter shutter (FM3a style mechanical/electrical/titanium even better!). That's all because that's how good the fundamental design of the ZI is.

Failing that; I'd go with Ko.Fe. and retro-fitting a digital module to existing M's using an insertable film cartridge design.

....ahhh.....dreams.....

Because they aren't true rangefinders, the Contax G series viewfinder do exactly what you are asking.

Heresy perhaps? My dream custom M would be the 2005 Zeiss Ikon "ZI" with the build quality and materials (brass etc.) of an M2.

Tweaks from there would include weather-proofing, Leica designed range finder patch that doesn't disappear and quieter shutter (FM3a style mechanical/electrical/titanium even better!). That's all because that's how good the fundamental design of the ZI is.

Failing that; I'd go with Ko.Fe. and retro-fitting a digital module to existing M's using an insertable film cartridge design.

....ahhh.....dreams.....
Not really heresy, just a good way to describe the concept. :)

I liked the ZM I had a few years ago, but it did feel a little lightweight. There is something to be said about the feeling of solidity of an M!

Not sure what weather resistance would offer since there are no such lenses.

āœ… FM3a shutter. Vertical travel means a 1/250 sync, also.

Back