What's the Best UNDER $50 Ebay Rangefinder?

What's the Best UNDER $50 Ebay Rangefinder?

• Total voters
Ricoh 500

Ricoh 500

I've just bought a Ricoh 500G for £10.50 plus postage. I'm curious to see the results.

I had a Ricoh 500 which I loved, but it would jam up and tear the sprocket holes. I'm still on the lookout for one that works and is a good price. I like the focus which you can rock back and forth. And the color slides I took with it were fantastic.

In the Classifieds there are a couple of great examples under the title "Cameras, Cameras, Cameras".

The usual, it's not me selling, no relations, friendships and I completely disavow any knowledge of this post at all.

B2 (;->

In the Classifieds there are a couple of great examples under the title "Cameras, Cameras, Cameras". The usual, it's not me selling, no relations, friendships and I completely disavow any knowledge of this post at all. B2 (;->

Took a screenshot so you're now guilty until proven innocent.

I purchased an excellent condition Minoltina S for £39 recently which given the slide of the pound is less than $50. It's a fully manual camera, nice 40mm f1.8 lens. Selenium meter isn't to great. Decent viewfinder, not as good as Olympus RF that I've handled. RF patch lacks a bit of contrast but brightens with a very minute piece of black tape placed on viewfinder window. I replaced the light seals so now it's good to go, very compact and pretty fast even if f1.8 will be of limited real world use. Well worth the money.

Lens is pretty crazy wide open but plenty sharp -across the whole field by f4.

Seeing this thread from 2009 with all the "Yashica GSN" suggestions. Good luck getting one under $50 now!

I voted Konica for the C35 as it's cheap, simple, but feels like a proper camera. Minolta has plenty of cheap RFs too though, The AL-F is an excellent cheap option.

Seeing this thread from 2009 with all the "Yashica GSN" suggestions. Good luck getting one under $50 now!

I voted Konica for the C35 as it's cheap, simple, but feels like a proper camera. Minolta has plenty of cheap RFs too though, The AL-F is an excellent cheap option.

I think I chose the Yashica originally, but today, I'd go with the Argus since I take photos outdoors anyway. A little judicious searching and waiting and you can score the C3 camera with 50mm and a 35mm lens too.

Nice GSNs are still readily available for ~ $50 on ebay :)

Canon QL19/QL17 (not the GIII). IMO much sharper lenses than the 40mm on the GIII (45mm 1.9 or 1.7). Does not command high prices at all.

Konica Auto S2. Another 45mm lens. Extremely sharp and the viewfinder has better brightlines than Leica (brighter, and corrected for parallax in both dimensions: movement AND size).

Minolta Hi-Matic 7s. Another 45mm from the same era. A bitingly sharp lens.

I never got along with the Yashica Electros either. They look pretty and the lenses are good, but I dunno.

Retinas are another good option with wonderful lenses. $50 for a working one might be pushing it though. Not as easy to right off the bat for the beginner, but not hard to get used to after some practice.

For under $50 most of these will need at least a viewfinder cleaning and probably light seals unless you get lucky.

Nikon One Touch / Nikon L35AF (same thing) has a stellar 35/2.8 fixed lens.

I also have an Olympus mju II 28/2.8 that I bought at an estate sale for $20, but they usually go for 10x as much :D

1. Yashica GSN for apeture priority mode and a great meter.
2. Konica Auto S2 (great viewfinder, sharp lens that gives "swirly bokeh".)
3. Minolta Hi-Matic E (never owned one but they've got a great reputation)
4. Canon Canonet QL17 (Not sure if you can find it for under $50... Unlike the above it's small)
5. Olympus XA (these are going higher than I remember but you may get lucky.)
6. Olympus RC (Man, I remember when these were cheap, cheap... couldn't give them away... Again, you may get lucky. Probably better off looking at local Goodwill or a Craig's list)

I'm thinking I'm liking the smaller rangefinders these days if I were ever to go the fixed lens RF route again -- the Canon or the RC.

This thread will be ten years old next year.

I would be interesting to see if everyone still has the camera they recommended in 2009 and to find out if they are still working without any repairs done since then...

Regards, David

This thread will be ten years old next year.

I would be interesting to see if everyone still has the camera they recommended in 2009 and to find out f they are still working without any repairs done since then...

Regards, David

Well, I always recommended the Kiev 4 and 4a

I bought mine in April of 1994 in the pre internet years in my neck of the woods and for not a super low price like they were found later on either and the Kiev still going strong.

I still enjoy using it over many other more costly machines .

10 years ago I was using a GSN, not any more it was sold and replaced by my OM4T, still have a Zorki 4.
The OM is smaller than the GSN and Zuiko glass is great.

Back