Which FSU camera has the best viewfinder?

I couldn't make up my mind ether, but FSU cameras are so relatively cheap I wound up with several. Not uncommon... notice how many folks can make comparisons from their own "collections". If any thing, this is what we should be warning you about. The damn things are like eating peanuts.
My humble VF vote goes for the Kiev, even with glasses. Might be because it works better with me being "left-eyed" and arthritic . Shutter seems not so much quieter as it is a different.
Wouldn't worry about using a lens I already have. You'll wind up with a body for it eventually. GAS build up will see to that.

Oh, and Kievs attract more women then FEDs or ZORKIs.

Jocko said:
Much good advice already given, but.... The most important initial question is "do you wear glasses"? The dioptre correction on FSU LTM cameras will possibly help if you are mildly shortsighted and happy with removing glasses when photographing. Otherwise the Zorki 3/3m/4 viewfinder is notoriously difficult to use, as it has very little eye relief. Spectacle wearers will probably not be able to see more than 60% of the frame. That is a very serious issue.

The Zorki 5 and 6 have bright, contrasty finders based on that used in the Iskra , but I would generally speak up for the FED 2. It may be dimmer, but it remains entirely practical within the usual limits of the camera's usage - say at a meter reading of 2.8 at 1/30th at 400 ISO. In my experience the high contrast between finder and rangefinder actually makes it easier to focus in low light than supposedly brighter Zorki finders.

All the best, Ian

I strongly second Ian through all his post here repeated, with some additional commentaries:

a) I am not knowledgeable of Soviet LTM cameras beyond some variations of the Fed 2. As for the Fed-2, I own two of them. One has brighter viewfinder and dimmer yellow patch, the other vice-versa. No accident here, both issues are interlinked.

b) Within certain limits, even for very low light, what works best is the dimmer viewfinder with brighter yellow patch.

c) The ultimative solution is to use a separate Soviet finder, which are as bright almost as live viewing.

d) For a standard lens there is no Soviet finder at all, but the Universal Turret Finder which includes the 50mm focal lengtht. But here there is an ergonomic problem when mounting it on a Fed 2, and perhaps other LTM Soviet cameras, as it protrudes backwards, blocking your ability to aproximate your eye to the camera viewfinder. This calls for a Kiev re-thinking. Or buying a pricy Voightlander 50 finder.

e) BTW, just for the protocol, most of old rangefinders, not only FSU, including the amazing Canonets, have viewfinder problems of this or other sort.

f) If you are glass wearer, no doubt Ian's advice is your starting point.

Cheers,
Ruben

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
Brightest viewfinder with nice visible white framelines and a beautiful rangefinder patch ? No FSU rangefinder beats the Sokol. Their viewfinder is wide and bright as a plasma screen. Unfortunately, the Sokol lens is fixed (a good one, in my opinion) so this not an option for you.
But if you like big (I mean BIG) cameras and bright viewfinders, remember the Sokol . I have both the Sokol 2 and the Sokol Abtomat and they perform nicely. Moreover, they show up now and then at a reasonable price.
Regards
Joao

Chuck A said:
The Kievs look nice as well but I would probably stay with the LTM models because of the SM lenses that I have.

Someone mentioned the quietness of the Kievs. What do the shutters on the FEDs and Zorkis sound like. I imagine that they are similar volume to the Bessa R models. Certainly not anything near the Leicas. Am I correct.

Hello Chuck,
I have a serviced and cleaned Zorki 1 from Oleg,and also an unserviced Leica 111c,and this Zorki matches the Leica both for vf/rf clarity and a quiet shutter.

I would agree with other comments that in my slight experience my Mir,which is a variation of the Zorki 4,has a more usable and combined vf/rf.

Just personal experience,but they are all good,and great fun.

Good Luck,
Brian.

Jocko said:
Very good advice Rob, but alas, not always applicable in a British context. My local DIY store charges £3.99 ($8.00) for a minimum quantity (20) of O rings. Add the cost of rubber cement and it is cheaper to buy from Japan :)
In addition, the rubber rings increase the distance between the eye and viewfinder, admittedly only by a couple of mm, but on a camera with a very deep dioptre ring like the FED 4, this is not so desirable.
All the best, Ian
Wow, Ian, those are pricey! I'm lucky in that there is a "mom & pop" hardware store here in town. I think I paid something like 37 cents for four of the O-rings--and could have bought just one, except I didn't take my own advice and left the camera at home so I got several sizes so I could get the one that fit.
And, looking at the camera now, I note that I didn't put the ring on the rearmost surface but actually around the outer rim of the ring. And it protrudes just slightly(less than 1mm) and , more importantly, covers the sharp corner of the eyepiece ring that gives me trouble with my glasses.
Rob

Rob, my apologies - I misunderstood: your ring around the edge is the perfect solution: that's where the scratches come from :)

But... you're lucky! Here in the UK most of our small hardware stores have been replaced by multiples and with them has gone almost all real knowledge and choice. Which topic swiftly brings any British photographer to the subject of Jessops :)

All the best, Ian

Back