Which half case for Leica M3?

Durr3

Established
Local time
8:28 AM
What is your favorite leather half case for Leica M3?
I have the original Leica case but it is bulky and pretty worn.
Any ideas?
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
Zhou half cases are well made, offer both a good fit and protection. They are reasonably priced. Moving up, Artist and Artisan half case provides good protection with a slimmer better fit. Next up is Luigi (Leicatime) from Italy. Offers a wide range of custom colors and leathers. It worth looking at the website even if you don’t intend to buy. All out is the Arte deMano. Hand crafted and offers many features but at a price. Let us know which one you decide on.

I have the Zhou, Kameraleder, Leicatime & Patgonia for various cameras. Zhou is still available as is Leicatime, which is expensive. Kameraleder is no longer available. I did purchase as case from Patagonia when he was on Ebay. I believe he is now on Etsy & facebook; look up Patagonia Santiago Chile camera cases.

Original is just right and not wearing off lugs. Not difficult to find which is not worn out. Or it could be more modern one, black.

Check out Classic cases. I have them for my IIIg, M3, MP and M9. They are beautiful, come in different leathers and linings and are built like tanks. See his blog on the site for interesting information about the tannery for the leathers. I have abused them shamelessly, and they have protected my cameras. I have no relationship with Classic Cases or its owner, Paul Glendell, other than as a satisfied customer. He is also good about special requests and is responsive on questions by e-mail. https://classiccases.co.uk

I have only tried the Luigi (Leicatime) cases. I've been so satisfied with them I haven't felt the need to go off the reservation.

Any ideas?
thanks

I use the bottom half of the original case made by Leica with the M3.

I like the original case. Not the most beautiful by today's standards but it does offer the most protection, not just from scrapes but from hard knocks.

None. They make changing film a bigger hassle than it already is with a Leica; they make the camera harder to hold securely (in my opinion), they're ugly, and they cost WAAAAAAY too much for what they are.

I've got a few straps and halfcases from Luigi Crescenzi, LeicaTime / LuigiCases.

I also use some Mr.Zhou cases for my LTM leicas. Recently picked up a Funper half case for my early lug-less LTMs.

I do see your point Chris about reloading, but I rarely shoot more then a roll when I'm out these days. ;)

Long ago it was common for new cameras to come with a full case, often in a second box. I think my Nikon S3 2000 was the most recent one to have that. I used to carry a Pentax Spotmatic in the bottom half of the case, but it became inconvenient and I quit doing that. I agree with Chris, even when it's a digital camera and film loading is not an issue.
There's also the possibility that the leather will hold moisture and increase humidity around the camera, maybe more chance for fungus?

Did you choose one yet?

It also comes down to budget if you are constrained by one. Zhou being the more economical choice and not a bad half-case.

I have Zhou (IIIf), Luigi/Leicatime (IIIf & M2), and original bottom half of EverReady case (M6) and like them each for their own characteristics.

I like them on the cameras for added bulk in handling, protection - to absorb those pesky bumps the camera might take as you move around or place down on a surface*, and to insulate against transfer of hand salts which may creep into the tiny crevices and camera skin.

Chris has some good points. Of course, if I was a working pro, I wouldn't do any of this :). But like Rick, I shoot casually and don't burn through film.

I think Roger had a thread or article about this topic. There are also quite a few (heated) philosophical discussions on this topic on RFF... :D

Good luck choosing.

*Pet peeve - camera for sale ads showing cameras placed on hard scratchy surfaces - concrete, granite, tile, etc. Arggg!

Any ideas?
thanks

I use this one with my M4-2 ... it fits nearly M2, M3, M4 cameras very nicely and the price is reasonable. Quality is super! ... Artisan and Artist Half-case M234 Style

Here it is on my M4-2:

Attachments

• Leica_M4-2-1.jpg
    Leica_M4-2-1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Leica_M4-2-2.jpg
    Leica_M4-2-2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
Luigi. Nothing finer.
(didn't realize how old the OP was, still, I love my Luigi cases, & I'm a broke boy. But it's like the story of buying good boots in Discworld.)

Back