Leica LTM Who has the oldest Leica on the forum?

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
I am annoyed with myself for losing the folder of images of my Anastigmat (as in my Avatar). This had been standardised but retained the correct engraving on the front flange. It no longer had the arrows on the barrel. I suppose there will still be an image in the Westlicht archives.

I guess 'losing folders' shows what happens when one crosses the divide into the digital world...

I am annoyed with myself for losing the folder of images of my Anastigmat (as in my Avatar). This had been standardised but retained the correct engraving on the front flange. It no longer had the arrows on the barrel. I suppose there will still be an image in the Westlicht archives.

I guess 'losing folders' shows what happens when one crosses the divide into the digital world...

OT mode on: Maybe get yourself a Network Accessible Storage drive, Michael. I have a NAS that mirrors one drive to the second so if one crashes I still have all data. That and a strict regime of how to store and you'll be safe. Touch wood, I haven't lost a single folder since 2006 :cool: Anyway, just my 2cents.

OT mode off: back to the oldest camera! :D

My early Leica II will have a fresh load of Rollei Retro 400S today, and do some portrait work!

Yes, I remember, these grooves reappear on the Summar. However, the optical block of the Elmax can be reinstalled in the tube; I myself have postwar Elmar blocks reinstalled in prewar tubes. They fit and can be adjusted with rings below the retaining ring. The optical block of the Elmax will fit too. There are examples of that, also of the Anastigmat.

Erik.

Sure, of course in this case even the most illogical thing it is quite possible.

cheers.

I just purchased a Leica I from 1929 at a garage sale!! Serial number is 137xx. It's been chromed at some point in its life. Any idea what it is worth? It's in rough shape. I'll post photos when I get home tonight.

Cheers,
Eric

Photos of my "new" Leica. I know that the shutter knob has been replaced, and the camera has obviously been chromed. Any other changes?

photo-4web.jpg

photo-2web.jpg

photo-5web.jpg

photo-3web.jpg

What a beauty! Great looking camera! How do you focus with a camera like this?

The same way HCB did. ;-)

Zone focusing can be quite accurate with practice, and as my first 35mm camera had no RF, I got a bit--

Of course today I prefer AF, but there are lenses I have that are solely zone focus, -- there are times I prefer a clear VF and no RF. I believe you would adapt quite quickly.

Regards, John

Leica I C, N° 63217, 1931.

A camera bought in Prague, but the physical state demonstrates that it has surely been used for many years by a professional photographer .. but who?

Attachments

• Leica 1 C.jpg
    Leica 1 C.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2
In case anybody got itchy viewing this thread:

eBay sale #310712122974, close to USD 3,000 gets you Leica Ia nr.1849...

:cool:

Indeed cool stuff; I've always had a preference for the mushrooms...
would look great in my cabinet with oldies

...the comparable offerings currently at the auction house in Vienna, look much better and at comparable pricing....
(always wondered why the offerings at that auction house all look if they are new..like they have some kind of factory restoring these oldies before they come to auction...)

btw still cleaning out my cabinet and found a very old Leica graduated filter (Firad?)- slip on 36mm. Don't have use for that; if one of you interested just pm...

I own the Leica I(A) s/n 6614, made in 1928. It has the mushroom release button, of course...
I never tested it, though it seems in a good working condition, with a clear Elmar.

Jacques.

My oldest is a IIIc circa 1946/47? Early post war batch. Bought it at a garage sale with a 50 Elmar from a woman, who's husband got it while stationed in Germany. The camera sat in a drawer for a few decades, before I picked it up. Still works like a charm.

Leica I C, N° 63217, 1931.

A camera bought in Prague, but the physical state demonstrates that it has surely been used for many years by a professional photographer .. but who?

Heavily used cameras that were made in Western Europe and got trapped behind the Iron Curtain for a few decades have always intrigued me. The value of such a camera to a photographer must have been immense, which is obvious by how much wear they often show. They were used for decades, even if they were outdated by western standards, simply because they probably were the best or only one available.

22688 1929 I(A) converted to I(C)

22688 1929 I(A) converted to I(C)

Another 1929 I(A) converted to I(C), along with the 1946 IIIc that's usually its companion in the bag.

Mine (no. 62742) began life as a I C in 1931. Leicashop told me it was likely upgraded to a II in 1950. The Summitar and 2,8cm Hektor which came with the camera are both from that year so that supports the theory.

Here's the kit, minus the case, Hektor 13,5cm, filters, various hoods etc that were also included. Absolutely delightful camera.

8251949099_d8e078f17e_b.jpg

Leica II and friends | Flickr

Nice. Always like seeing a post war conversion without flash sync. New 1950s body and covering too.

It's worth putting this pic in the 'conversions' thread if it isn't there already

Thank you. I put another image of my camera in that thread a while back so it's listed there as well.

Cheers
Philip

The earliest Leica I had was a Ia converted to Ic, with a serial number 20626. Lost the original Elmar to accommodate the rest of the m39 lenses.
8222252196_a2f2fbfba3_c.jpg

The viewfinder and accessory shoe was replaced with a chrome one and painted black. Everything else was nickel.

I now have a Leica II, with a serial 63072. The earliest Leica II i've owned.
And this time i'll refrain from selling it!

I really enjoy seeing old threads resurrected, so much interesting and informative information as well as great cameras, lenses and accessories to drool over!

nice to see those old leicas!
adding my contribution to this thread.. leica iii 1932 109517

49969775293_5e9e37ff2f_c.jpg
[/url]

49970555972_f7f7dd67c7_c.jpg
[/url]

the mount, slow speed knob, and bottom plate latch is nickel, but other parts have been modified to chrome some time ago.

Back