Why Nikon, Canon and Fuji still don't make Monochrom Digital Cameras?

pan

Established
Local time
1:18 AM
It's a mystery why Nikon, Canon and Fuji still don't make Monochrom Digital Cameras?

I'm sure there is a market for these cameras. Many people cannot afford a Leica Monochrom and are waiting that a camera maker does the job for a decent prize

So why?

Pan

The Leica crowd is peculiar in that there are many of them that won't switch the brand when they switch devices. But that is a less common sentiment among users of other brands, so the competition with film (and medium and large format film as well) will be even bigger. Apparently too big to make such a camera profitable, at the lower margins (and corresponding higher number they must sell) compared to Leica. The mentioned makers will doubtlessly have researched the possibilities, with negative results...

The difference between shooting the M9 black and white and the Ur MM is quite significant.

On a modern CMOS sensor, like in 240 vs 262, the difference is minimal.

In other words, there wouldn't be a technical benefit to converting a modern Nikon, Canon or Fuji to B+W only. The 262 is mostly successful due to Leica marketing.

Roland.

I have been thinking about this myself.

I think the obvious point is it is too simple to convert a color photography into b&w. Most say "Hey b&w is so wonderful" but they would not like to have a camera that cannot also do color (and video and and and...). The quality difference (because one would not have a Bayer filter) is not too relevant. I have b&w converted shots from my D700 (11 MP "only") that are sharper than b&w film.

Today, who would buy a telephone that does not take photos or a radio that does not show the time or a wrist clock that does not measure the puls. I am sick of this but it is how people think.

Even if you like landscapes, why not also have a fast motor drive and flash build in - maybe I will need it some time. So, to buy something that is not fully equipped for everything that may come handy once in ten years - impossible.

To me, the strong thing with b&w film is that I know I am set to b&w. The alternative is the MM, which is too expensive.

But by the way, I would not buy a b&w D610. I do not need the build-in flash :angel:

Really a very limited market due.. How many people would want a dedicated monochrome camera. Though Leica definitely felt that there was enough of a market for their monochrome to justify it..as much as feel I if others could do one at a price that is more competitive, there would be enough of a market. But as far a the big two is concerned, what is really enough of a market? Fuji is already a niche player w/ a unique product.. They don't have the budget of Canon and Nikon to go after this type of limited market even if they felt it was doable at the price they could sell it at. I for one, would jump on a Fuji made monochrome camera..first in line if I could afford it.

The limited market currently is being handled a several different ways
- the Leica monochrome (of course)
- those same specialty houses that do ir work, are doing monochrome conversion of Nikon and canon dslr (haven't seen any offer Fuji yet)
- sigma Merrill foveon sensors in monochrome mode provide images which IMHO are close to the tonal quality as seen from as monochrome if u can accept its limitations
-- I for one would love to c a foveon sensor on a Fuji X series or m43 camera

Gary

Canon had several, well before Leica did: EOS-DSC1m, 3m and 5m.

But in general, these makes are looking at large numbers, not niche products. Of the makes you mention, Fuji might be tempted, but their film business was colour centred, so, I wouldn't hold my breath. Sony is another contender, if they think they can sell a few - they already did unexpected things with the RX-1 and A7s. But Canon or Nikon? Unlikely.

It's a mystery why Nikon, Canon and Fuji still don't make Monochrom Digital Cameras?

I'm sure there is a market for these cameras. Many people cannot afford a Leica Monochrom and are waiting that a camera maker does the job for a decent prize

So why?

Pan

Because despite your certainty, the market for mono is minute.

All of the headaches of managing separate model numbers and inventory for such a small niche market device seems improbable.
The voltage controlled low-pass filter in the RX1R II is a great idea. No need to physically remove the filter if you don't like the effect.
Perhaps some sort of voltage controlled Bayer filter could be developed.
If you want mono, just turn off the filter. Is this technically possible?

I think our best bet for future pure monochrome cameras is with one of the smaller players:

Ricoh have in the past bought small batches of customized sensors , specifically the GXR with offset lenses tailored for M lenses.

A semi-cult camera like the GR could support e.g. a 5,000 set monochrome run.

I still make black and white photos mostly with film and print with my analog darkroom.

However, a few paths can be taken with photoshop to convert color to black and white.

As the camera market saturates and sufficiently expands, niche products will be inevitably created. I would give it a couple of years before at least fuji gives Leica mono some competition.
Personally B&W sensors are not that important for tonalities (which is easier to create with a color sensor + filtering in post) but more for their higher sensitivity and the nice looking noise. It is the easy way of improving a camera with current sensor technology.

P.S. I still hope for a X100bw with a monochrome sensor and a trully manual focus lens.

The Acros simulation isn't even released yet, so that might be a bit premature.

In any event, if the market were large enough for dedicated B&W, there would be other players.

Back