Why no M9 battery grip?

Ko.Fe.

Lenses 35/21 Gears 46/20
Local time
7:02 AM
I can't recall any widely known (for results) film Leica photogs with motor rewinds. HCB, GW even operated film M with one hand. Yet, they were made and obviously were in use.
But M9 with its tiny batteries...
Why here is still no after market battery grip for M9? They made one for Canon RP in China after Canon ignored to provide one.

I guess the grip could have a contact insert that fits down into the usual battery chamber. It could hold AA batteries, or else it could be rechargeable. Good idea!

I can't recall any widely known (for results) film Leica photogs with motor rewinds. HCB, GW even operated film M with one hand. Yet, they were made and obviously were in use.
But M9 with its tiny batteries...
Why here is still no after market battery grip for M9? They made one for Canon RP in China after Canon ignored to provide one.

How many shots do you get on a charged battery?

How many shots do you get on a charged battery?

I'm not in CA, I'm in CA.

After -10 C it is not about how many shots, but if camera could last more than one hour. Colder it goes, faster it dies. Two batteries grips somehow makes it longer than two times of single in the cold.

I guess the grip could have a contact insert that fits down into the usual battery chamber. It could hold AA batteries, or else it could be rechargeable. Good idea!

This is how most battery grips work.

This is how most battery grips work.

Well, the other idea is the way it's done on the Nikon FA, which has a set of contacts in the bottom plate that mate with contacts of the motor drive.
That way, when the MD-15 drive is fitted, you don't need to install the camera's own battery. But since the M9 has no such contacts on the bottom, well . . . you get the idea.

... Two batteries grips somehow makes it longer than two times of single in the cold.

Holding onto the battery grip also keeps it warmer than if those batteries were instead in a bottom attachment. So that may allow you to use the camera longer.

Too few the demand. Also it’s too demanding to manufacture for that little demand. Imagine how many M owners would like to have a plastic bottom plate attached to the camera.

I'm not in CA, I'm in CA.

After -10 C it is not about how many shots, but if camera could last more than one hour. Colder it goes, faster it dies. Two batteries grips somehow makes it longer than two times of single in the cold.

You weren't clear on that.
Keep one of those hand warmers with your camera, it will keep it warm and your battery life up.
Each one provides up to 10 hours of heat.
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-War...ocphy=9030983&hvtargid=pla-312944218235&psc=1

Holding onto the battery grip also keeps it warmer than if those batteries were instead in a bottom attachment. So that may allow you to use the camera longer.
You weren't clear on that.
Keep one of those hand warmers with your camera, it will keep it warm and your battery life up.
Each one provides up to 10 hours of heat.
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-War...ocphy=9030983&hvtargid=pla-312944218235&psc=1
:)
To keep camera grip warm below under -10 C I will need to use my bare hand or something known for ice fishing.
In Canada we have chill factor, one of determining is how soon frozen flesh will start to separate from bones.
Keeping camera in the mitten with warming pack doesn’t sound good either.
It is not good for camera to have top of it frozen to -10 and bottom at -20 C.

Wouldn't you need a separate battery pack on a lead, that you could shove down your underpants to keep it warm?

In theory that should work. M9 has a USB port that can be used for tethered shooting.....bit not likely set up to use bus power in camera functions. So, would instead require some kind of custom base plate with contacts into battery compartment and cord to a custom made battery holder.....then hope V and mA values are not significantly affected by R of the cord length

I wouldn't mind an M9 battery grip if it were compact AND used readily available battery type.

Wouldn't you need a separate battery pack on a lead, that you could shove down your underpants to keep it warm?

In Canada we don't use this as the batteries placement.
We have top coat for it with inner pockets. Keeps mobile phone warm enough.

Back