Why Not a digiback for the M-series?

S

skipcashwell

With a Leica-made digital back for the R8 & R9 series coming soon, I have wondered why there isn't one being developed for the M-series?

I have the Digilux-1 (a replacement for my first venture into digital, the Olympus 3040-Z), and am very impressed with the sharpness and quality of the images! (See latest attempt) (My daughter )The photos taken with the lenses I use on my M6-TTL are phenominal in clarity, and are easily enlarged without any quality lost.

As such, I would really appreciate the ability to use my standard Leica M-series lenses, and especially the range finder focusing system. It has become increasingly difficult for me to use the focus options available with my Nikon systems. (My eyesight)

A quality preview LCD screen, such as is on the Digilux-1, as part of a digi-back for an M-series would make my day.

Any rumors or speculation out there?
Thanks, Skip Cashwell:)

Nothing but a mock digital Leica M, created by a French photographer... If I find his website I'll post it for you. But no, there seems that, besides the digital back for the R models, there are no new designs for the M system.

They did come up with a nice P&S, though, which might come to replace the Minilux. It's called Leica CM (I believe...), and it has a fast Summarit lens, just like the Minilux.

The main problem with a digital M lies in the use of wide angle lenses. Since WA lewnses for the M series project into the body the light rays on the edges are striking at a steep angle. All right for film but not for a digital sensor that has the elements in small wells.

Works OK with an SLR body because SLR lenses do not project into the interior of the body and consequently the light rays are hitting more head on.

Back