why the eos m?

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
10:48 AM
i love the results that i get from my fuji cameras and lenses...love them!

but i have more fun with the eos m!
i know...you think i'm drunk or just stoopid...but the eos m is what i think mirrorless was supposed to be all about.
good sized sensor in a small (really small) body and small lenses to match!
when i head out with the purpose of shooting i should be reaching for the fujis but now i grab the small 5xb bag and my entire eos m kit...the body plus 22 fits with room to spare into the front pocket of my domke 802 satchel and so it comes to work with me every day!
i miss having a built in finder but looking like a real tourist with the camera out in front of me has it's advantages...
eventually i'll get the fourth m lens, the 55-200, just to own the complete set...i don't even mind using zooms...they are tiny too! and pretty sharp...canon can do good work when they want to.

Happy M user here too! I have 4 cameras at this point that do basically the same thing (Lumina 1520 with 6.5mm, EOS M with 22mm, X-E1 with 28mm and 5D with 40mm) but the EOS M is a lot of fun to use with the smartphone-style touchscreen UI and tiny size. Great camera for throwing into a purse when I go out; ppl react a lot differently to being photographed with the M than the X-E1 (or god forbid, the 5D)

It does feel surprisingly solid and heavy considering its innocent looks and is a great camera for quick work when you'd prefer to be taken for an amateur :) I wandered round the local music festival this weekend snapping away without a second glance from anyone but came home with a set of nicely exposed pics and some great colour.
I'll take the DSLR out for more "serious" work but have decided to forgive the M's lack of viewfinder and make the most of its small size & convenience for the time being.....

I think the thing that has always attracted me to Canon products, this despite the fact that I'm a Nikon shooter, is the way they treat colour in the jpeg engine. It really is lovely.
For me, this was always more important than handling, sharpness, etc.

Everything from their point-and-shoot S95 to their pro line rubs me the right way.

30d=EOS-M

30d=EOS-M

My grandson starts his junior year of college in need of a DSLR so out goes the Canon 30d and 35/135 since the EOS-M mark 1 works great as a replacement.
I am starting to look for EOS-M3 body this August.

I really want to replace my T3 with this for video work. I'm completely happy with my T3 video quality, and it seems the EOS M has the same sensor, plus a mic input. It would be a nice step up, while saving lots of space in my briefcase! Hmmm maybe I'll sell my RX100.

i know nothing about video but i've read that magic lantern works well with the eos m for video and allows raw video recording. apparently ML also implements focus peaking on the m. i've tried ML before on another camera and didn't take the time to figure it out and uninstalled it, but lots of canon people seem to like it.

Yeah Joe

Lately I know how u feel.. Even though I have better cameras around than my lx100. I actually been using it more than my other cameras. It's just a lot of fun :D.. This is why it has become my an everyday carry camera for me.

The 3 everyday cameras I have listed in my signature are just fun cameras. My other cameras..they are really for specific purposes...

The lx100 actually only slightly bigger than my Panasonic lx3 and if I am wearing pants w/ cargo pockets, it will fit in the front pocket.

I personally think..if u are shooting w/ something u enjoy using..that's what really counts.

Gary

Not strange, I rather find strange that you believe that we should think you are drunk to like the camera and I think it has to do with a gigantic plot :eek: from photo magazines and blogs who like to teach us what we should like and what not... They told us that we should like cameras with a zirillion pixel evf, metal bodies, which can synchronize flash to 1/2500" are water sealed and possibly sport some new tech in the sensor. They should also be able to mount some specially dedicated line of ultra bright prime lenses for "creative photography". In fact, I think that actually we should either be making a lot of money (pros) or have a lot of fun (pros and not pros), if we could be doing both things at the same time it would be even better. But you know, if we all find out that all we need could just be one old camera and one lens it wouldn't be too good for them... It seems you are having actually a LOT of fun with the eos m, so just go ahead!

GLF

i agree...i think many of us fall for the marketing we are inundated with...needing/wanting the latest and greatest...i believe it's part of the inner desire to 'make it' as an artist and not to just relax and enjoy the hobby.
at 64 it's pretty unlikely that i will be 'discovered' and become rich & famous so i better be able to just enjoy the hobby.

Because it's the right tool for the job...and it looks cool in low key light, too!

19570134341_4eb2090d9f_b.jpg

Jason

Back