Wierd faulty M6 meter

fototaco

Local time
3:14 PM
Just got my M6 back from a shutter speed dial malfunction, now there is a problem with the meter, yay... Thought I’d ask you fine people for help.

The light meter wont turn on with half press very sporadic. I can’t find a pattern. It can happen several times in a row, or just once. Maybe 9,5/10 times it works great with no problem. It doesn’t help selecting buld mode then a different speed and the half press. I first thought there was a fault between enganging the shutter/cocking the shutter and the meter.

Just changed batteries so they’re fresh. No corrosion in battery cabinet. Does the same in all shutter speeds

Any ideas?

Just got it back from a repair...send it back ASAP...
Sounds like a short was created when the camera was reassembled...
If it happens all the time, send it back so THEY can see the problem THEY most likely caused...
Include a note with the return as to what you see happening, ask them to call you as soon as they inspect the malfunctioning camera so you can compare notes/thoughts.

Just got my M6 back from a shutter speed dial malfunction, now there is a problem with the meter, yay... Thought I’d ask you fine people for help.

The light meter wont turn on with half press very sporadic. I can’t find a pattern. It can happen several times in a row, or just once. Maybe 9,5/10 times it works great with no problem. It doesn’t help selecting buld mode then a different speed and the half press. I first thought there was a fault between enganging the shutter/cocking the shutter and the meter.

Just changed batteries so they’re fresh. No corrosion in battery cabinet. Does the same in all shutter speeds

Any ideas?

Known in the trade as an "intermittent fault".

Sigma compact folks have put a drop or two of contact cleaner and exercised the button or dial vigorously (with camera OFF, duh), with good but not always permanent results. Might fix it, might not.

Known in the trade as an "intermittent fault".

Sigma compact folks have put a drop or two of contact cleaner and exercised the button or dial vigorously (with camera OFF, duh), with good but not always permanent results. Might fix it, might not.
Thanks for reply. Altough I didn’t understand all of it - signa compact folks? Is it a suggestion what I can do?

@nikon_sam yeah I probably need to send it back. It’s just been 2 visits to the same guy in a short time beause the first didnt solve the initial issue. Dreading sending it back now thats its ‘functional’ enough to use…

Thanks for reply. Altough I didn’t understand all of it - signa compact folks? Is it a suggestion what I can do?

I said "Sigma" a company that makes compact cameras which occasionally exhibit problems with their control wheels on the top of the camera.

Your call as to whether you try it or not, just advising of others' experience.

I'd keep foreign fluids away from a Leica - one mistake and you could be paying for a complete tear-down and rebuild with no one to blame but your self.. Send it back to the technician who worked on it with a clear description of the new problem that has emerged post service.

I'd keep foreign fluids away from a Leica - one mistake and you could be paying for a complete tear-down and rebuild with no one to blame but your self.. Send it back to the technician who worked on it with a clear description of the new problem that has emerged post service.
I agree. At worst you might have the fluid leak into the irreplaceable circuit board and fry it, turning your M6 into a less nice M4-P.

There’s a lot needs to happen in the travel downwards of a metered Leica shutter button, film or digital. Putting the top plate back on has something not seated right in the reassembly. Send it back. You can put up with this.

I would ask your repairman for a partial refund of what you paid for his work and send the camera to someone else. I mean I wouldn’t trust him, how can you make sure that there won‘t be another, new fault once you get the camera back. He already had his second chance..

I agree. At worst you might have the fluid leak into the irreplaceable circuit board and fry it, turning your M6 into a less nice M4-P.
It wouldn't even be as nice as the M4P, which has better framelines! I can recommend Youxin Ye at YYE camera repair. Good work, good price.

LOL, you are a some sort of beacon of hope aren't you? And fluid leaks are for when your Viper leaves oil on the garage floor. OP, send it back to the repair guy and don't get wound up, it's frustrating but sometimes stuff happens.

It wouldn't even be as nice as the M4P, which has better framelines! I can recommend Youxin Ye at YYE camera repair. Good work, good price.
Agree, maybe I worded it poorly, but I meant functionally an M4-P but less nice.
LOL, you are a some sort of beacon of hope aren't you? And fluid leaks are for when your Viper leaves oil on the garage floor. OP, send it back to the repair guy and don't get wound up, it's frustrating but sometimes stuff happens.
I visit a local camera store pretty often. A few months ago they had two very cheap M6s in there. Neither had a working meter and Leica had declared them non-repairable. One had no particular sign of cause, but one had some signs of amateur work being done on it and signs of liquid intrusion. I don‘t know if this was the cause of the amateur investigation, or the result, but one way or another if you are not experienced and confident of your skills, an M6 is not the place to start your training in camera repair.

Back