Withdrawal Symptoms: I may buy another M8.2

Rob-F

Likes Leicas
Local time
9:07 PM
With my M9 having been sent to Leica to get the sensor assessment before the deadline, I have no M digital, and no idea when I will get the M9 back. I thought about an M-P typ 240, but I dunno: I don't need 24MP, and don't feel like shelling out the bucks for the M-240 on top of what I have in the M9.

So: I'm tempted to look for another M8.2 like the one I sold to get my M9. Yes, I won't be able to manually code my lenses, like I can with my M9. But if I don't use my widest lenses, maybe that will be OK. I am definitely NOT going back to coding them with a marker. That really sucked! And OK, I agree to use the UV/IR filters again. I still have them.

The color I got with the M8.2 RAW files was great. At least as good as with the M9.

So. Talk me out of it, if you can. Hurry.

I won't try to talk you in or out of it, but a few months - even six - will be over before you know it. And we're heading into winter, when my shooting sure drops off. If it were me, I'd make do until then.

John

My M9 came back from Wetzlar after 2 months with a new sensor. I was just shooting with the smartphone and CL while the M9 was away. Hope this helps.

Film M are easier to find and very close to M9 in handling, plus, same crop factor, no coding and specialty filters are needed :).

Film M are easier to find and very close to M9 in handling, plus, same crop factor, no coding and specialty filters are needed :).

Yes, very true, and I already have six films. Nothing to buy!

OK I think that did it! Thanks!

Sorry to spoil your shopping spree.

Nope, it is just different shopping tree. Two rolls per week with 25 weeks of M9 in NJ is plenty of film to buy and try. Who knows maybe Kodachrome is going to be already around. :)

Actually, the only thing I really don't like is the inability to manually enter the lenses. I can live with the crop factor and filters. I suppose I could have a couple of lenses coded. I love the M8.2 framelines, sized for a 2 meter distance! But I don't like sending Leica items (or any other really expensive ones) through the mail. USPS has lost two expensive photo items I sent by Priority Mail packages!

I did see something about replacement flanges with coding cutouts. I wonder if they are any good?

Back